Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could someone please please please please explain in a step by step method like really slowly how to do binomials I've looked in two text books and on two websites and on all the threads on here! and I just can't seem to grasp what you have to do, i.e. what numbers to put where and why?! and what each letter stands for?? can someone please please tell me which letter corresponds to which number and so on? thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    You dont need to understand anything. Just write all the x's out going up until whatever power outside the bracket, rememebr to start with x ^0 = 1. If there is a no. in front of the x do the same thing. now for the other value, go down in values of power until u get to 0 starting from the number outside the bracket. Now all you need to do is add the 'coefficients' this where the NCR button comes in, look at the number outside the bracket so if its, 6 you do 6NCR0, for the first term, (which is 1), 6ncr1 for the second, until u get to 6 ncr6, then just simplify it: i.e times all those numbers together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    You dont need to understand anything. Just write all the x's out going up until whatever power outside the bracket, rememebr to start with x ^0 = 1. If there is a no. in front of the x do the same thing. now for the other value, go down in values of power until u get to 0 starting from the number outside the bracket. Now all you need to do is add the 'coefficients' this where the NCR button comes in, look at the number outside the bracket so if its, 6 you do 6NCR0, for the first term, (which is 1), 6ncr1 for the second, until u get to 6 ncr6, then just simplify it: i.e times all those numbers together.
    yay!! ok ithink I'm getting it! Very well explained!, erm the thing is what if its like (X+1) to the power a third?? then whatd u do? :confused: thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberries)
    yay!! ok ithink I'm getting it! Very well explained!, erm the thing is what if its like (X+1) to the power a third?? then whatd u do? :confused: thanks!
    That is in C4. If you are only doing C2 don't worry about it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    That is in C4. If you are only doing C2 don't worry about it yet.
    I do AQA P3, theres was a question with (x=1)1/3 on it im going to fail, arent I?

ReputationRep:
    Just plug everything into:
    (1+x)^n = 1 + nx + n(n-1)/2! x² + n(n-1)(n-2)/3! x³ + n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)/4! x^4 + ...

Surely that can't be hard... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Just plug everything into:
    (1+x)^n = 1 + nx + n(n-1)/2! x² + n(n-1)(n-2)/3! x³ + n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)/4! x^4 + ...

Surely that can't be hard... :confused:
    ahh uv just made my crap day a much better one!!! is that formula given? thankyoo!

ReputationRep:
    In the formula book? Yeah I think so. But once you've used it a few times you'll remember it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.