Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hold an AS Level in a language and am considering completing the full A Level next year in my gap year. I can't start any course because I plan to spend 6 months in the relevant country working (and i don't think organising a language course there is possible) so do you think I can self teach myself the A2 (probably have plenty of time in the gap year) and enter for the exam privately? Has anyone ever done this?

ReputationRep:
    You can certainly get the language ability in that time, but I don't know about the exam stuff. Do you particularly want the A2 for something, or would it just be nice to have it? Have you maybe discussed your plan with your AS teacher/s?

ReputationRep:
    It should definitely be possible if you're going to live in the country for half the time as you'll constantly be practicing and improving your language skills anyway. It shouldn't take too much time to do half an A-level in a year, but the only difficult things would be arranging the necessary materials (listening tapes and past papers, as well as textbook etc) and sitting the exams. I wouldn't like to do an oral, for example, with no help preparing and no practice runs beforehand!

ReputationRep:
    I think the oral would be the easiest part! Because your oral skills by then would be brilliant, as you would have been practising them for six months, but your written foreign might not be so good if you haven't really been using it and practising grammatical structures and things.

ReputationRep:
    Living in the country will be the best thing for you! Is there any reason why you didnt mention the actual langauge? are you embarresed?

ReputationRep:
    You can do A2s by distance learning. They provide you with all the materials etc. then you contact a local college or school and ask if you could enter as a private candidate. If the language you're considering is a major European language, then you could choose the interpreting module where you need little preparation, you just have to translare from English into the language. Anyway, at A2 there is only a 4 minute debate, and then 10 mins of general chat for my exam board (Edexcel) so I'm sure you'd be fine if you'd been abroad all of that time.

I would recommend www.nec.ac.uk as a distance learning provider, the materials they give you are very good, at least in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    With Edexcel there is also an interpreting option instead of a prepared oral. I reckon this would be better for you as you don't really need to prepare...only practice, and you'd get a lot of that if you were in the country!

ReputationRep:
    I think that after spending half a year in spain you'll be fine with most of the exam, the only thing id be worried about is the litterature, its easy enough reading a novel/play but u need to know the themes inside out & be able to point out hidden messages & stuff, without my teachers i would never have been able to do this!!!
    Where u off to in spain?? Im workin in Murcia 4 2months over the summer, cant wait, i leave in less than 2weeks
    Laurenxx

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.