Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    Because MSc doesn't go thru UCAS there is no clearing process like for BSc however some uni's for MSc make awaiting list and offer places to others ifsome don't take the place up. At KCL they told us that this year they offered a place to someone on the first day that term started and she had aready started on the BSc at Brunel................so she quit brunel and started the Msc!
    Oh really? I didn't know you could do that!! I suppose it depends on when the MSc's start, I think only a handfull of MSc's start in September 05 (QMUC and Kings and maybe Essex?), the rest start in January/Feb 06, so you'd be waiting a while to hear if there were any last minute places....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJL)
    Oh really? I didn't know you could do that!! I suppose it depends on when the MSc's start, I think only a handfull of MSc's start in September 05 (QMUC and Kings and maybe Essex?), the rest start in January/Feb 06, so you'd be waiting a while to hear if there were any last minute places....
    yeah I guess it would but its always handyif youdon't get in anywhere that starts in sept!!!

Have you had a chance to read that book by Derek Field (the surfac markingone)? My boss and the others I work with are getting it for me as a leavingpresent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    yeah I guess it would but its always handyif youdon't get in anywhere that starts in sept!!!

Have you had a chance to read that book by Derek Field (the surfac markingone)? My boss and the others I work with are getting it for me as a leavingpresent!
    Yes, it looks good. It describes how to find structures by palpation as well as some drawings of anatomy, most of it is photographic though. It's probably a good book to back up stuff once you've learned it in the classroom, to confirm where bones and muscles are etc.

It's not got a lot of detail on anatomy though, like the moore (clinical anatomy) book, so you'd probably need that too. I actually bought the Prastanga one (human movement and anatomy) instead, it looks very good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJL)
    Yes, it looks good. It describes how to find structures by palpation as well as some drawings of anatomy, most of it is photographic though. It's probably a good book to back up stuff once you've learned it in the classroom, to confirm where bones and muscles are etc.

It's not got a lot of detail on anatomy though, like the moore (clinical anatomy) book, so you'd probably need that too. I actually bought the Prastanga one (human movement and anatomy) instead, it looks very good too.
    I was thinking of getting the palastanga but I have the moore and dalley from previous degree so I think I'll stick with that

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id add my 2 cents worth having been in a similar situation to most of yous.

I wasnt 100% sure about physio the 1st time round and certainly wasnt the 3 A student they seemed to be looking for at the time. I went to Leeds and did a sports degree and had a great time. i graduated in 03 but wasnt too impressed with the jobs market so i started looking at physio again.

I applied to Queen Marg in edinburgh and got reserve listed so applied to robert gordon in aberdeen (after the closing date so always worth ringing up to check if they still have places). At the int someone else mentioned they had applied to UEA in Norwich.

I got home rang them up, had the int and started here in Feb 04 and hope to grad Feb 06. Its hard work but I love it.

There's a couple of things I picked up along the way, dont give up if your enthusiatic and persistent it pays off in the end. Chat to everyone, other peops at interviews are great sources of info and being nice to secretaries over the phone can get you all sorts of help. Do your research - I flunked the interview at edinburgh by not realising all scottish MSc courses charge fees ~£5,600/yr so you either need very nice parents or a cracking summer job! Look for parts of their course that are unique to that uni eg 'i really like your strong focus on research, I have a particular interest in...' always goes down well.

I had my own reasons for choosing Norwich and definately made the right decision - the fact they lend us laptops for the 2 years and have free printing is a bonus! For a full list of BSc and MSc courses check out the qualifying programmes page of the CSP website.

Final word on anatomy texts - if your new to anatomy go for Tortora as it has all the physiology in as well, the Palastanga was on my reading list and is very detailed but I also had Moores Essential clinical anatomy as well from my prev degree and its great for looking things up in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TrickyVicky!

Glad to see someone on here has done the MSc, I'm starting it in September at QMUC. I actually had an interview for UAE but as I accepted QMUC I ended up turning down the interview at UAE.... if they had of mentioned the free laptops I may have reconsidered!!

Can I ask you how difficult you've found the course? How many hours a week would you say you spend at uni compared to self study? I'm expecting it to be really intense, but it would be nice to hear your views seeing as you are a curent student!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrickyVicky)
    Just thought id add my 2 cents worth having been in a similar situation to most of yous.
    Same here! :eek: Although this time it's coming from Australia

Just in the process of finishing my first degree (I'm 21 btw, not high school - wasn't academic enough to get into physio then Needed something like 98.5 on my VCE haha yeah right :laugh: ) of BSc, majoring in Biology, particularly human physiology and anatomy, with a bit a psych and geography (don't ask :p: ) added in there for good measure. Graduate in Dec then hopefully *crosses fingers. Actually I can't b/c I'm on the computer :rolleyes: so metaphorically * off to either Newcastle (NSW ) Uni to study MSc Physiotherapy, or La Trobe in Melbourne. Alternatively there is always Canberra Uni, but I have to admit I wasn't impressed with the Aus 20K per year price tag attached to that as you can imagine, and getting a loan from the govt. is gonna be just a LITTLE BIT difficult me thinks

Need to be accepted first tho! :eek: Although hopefully it won't be a problem, but I can't help but feel a little intimidated my the high competive rate in this country So daunting. A lot of people in Australia want to do it, damn them :mad: Jks. Is is the same over in the UK? I'd assume so.

DB_x

P.S. When do you guys apply? Apparently I have from Sep 1 until Oct 31st.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.