Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Righto. I've just recently come from a few wines with my old man, and he is insisting that I work some form of Chinese language course into my degree. I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce, with my major in Business Management. The only problem is that I had one glass to his rest of the bottle and he trailed off as old men seem to do when they find booze. Could somebody please tell me what learning Chinese is going to do for me? I've already thought of the obvious things, but they don't weigh that heavily for me to learn a 4th language. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Righto. I've just recently come from a few wines with my old man, and he is insisting that I work some form of Chinese language course into my degree. I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce, with my major in Business Management. The only problem is that I had one glass to his rest of the bottle and he trailed off as old men seem to do when they find booze. Could somebody please tell me what learning Chinese is going to do for me? I've already thought of the obvious things, but they don't weigh that heavily for me to learn a 4th language. Please help.
    I suggest you do not study Chinese unless you study it in China.Chinese is the most difficult language in the world.It is not like English,French,Latin……(use letters of the alphabet)It has a lot of traditionally recognized components of Chinese characters.
    If you are not the native speaker of Chinese,you will find it is too hard to study it.(Luckily,I am a Chinese.I am very proud of our great language and culture.)
    For example,I will type some Chinese poem to show you.
    抽刀断水水更流,举杯浇愁愁更愁。小楼一夜听春雨,明朝 深巷卖杏花。

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinsisi)
    I suggest you do not study Chinese unless you study it in China.Chinese is the most difficult language in the world.It is not like English,French,Latin……(use letters of the alphabet)It has a lot of traditionally recognized components of Chinese characters.
    If you are not the native speaker of Chinese,you will find it is too hard to study it.(Luckily,I am a Chinese.I am very proud of our great language and culture.)
    For example,I will type some Chinese poem to show you.
    抽刀断水水更流,举杯浇愁愁更愁。小楼一夜听春雨,明朝 深巷卖杏花。
    arigato gozaimasu. I know, only Japanese, yet I managed to learn the basics of that. Enough to find a place to stay, order dinner, manage not to offend most people, and strangely enough a lady for the evening too. Is Chinese much harder to learn??? This really is an important decision I have to make is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    arigato gozaimasu. I know, only Japanese, yet I managed to learn the basics of that. Enough to find a place to stay, order dinner, manage not to offend most people, and strangely enough a lady for the evening too. Is Chinese much harder to learn??? This really is an important decision I have to make is all.
    I had take a Japanese optional course 1 year ago.Japanese is much easier than Chinese.It is true.Janpanese has pronunciation rules,but Chinese doesn't have.You will remember every word's pronunciation with no law.
    One word in Chinese also have ten meanings with different situation~~~~And we have such long history and great cultural background ,so many sentences now are not the meaning which the words shows.You must know a lot of our cultural and history.

ReputationRep:
    Egad, I'm in for a tough time of it then I see. Thanks jinsisi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Egad, I'm in for a tough time of it then I see. Thanks jinsisi
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    think about Cantonese huh

ReputationRep:
    learning Chinese it not worthy.It will take u a long time
    in the market of China ppl went to that position can speak English fluently enough.
    If you just want to order meals etc. find a Chinese girlfriend is not a bad idea.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.