The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants Thread

Following vas's example heres a thread for all us cardiff applicants 2010! so whos applying?

Scroll to see replies

I am applying to Cardiff :smile:, gotta apply to the homeland uni even though I failed last year :biggrin:
Reply 2
speedystef
I am applying to Cardiff :smile:, gotta apply to the homeland uni even though I failed last year :biggrin:

well im 1/4 welsh (though live in bristol:P) hopefully you'll get in this year! where else you applying?
1/4 welsh, that's good to hear, I am also applying to Manchester, Barts and Leicester :smile:, where are you applying? (Bristol surely!)

(I REALLY HOPE I GET IN THIS YEAR TOO)
Reply 4
speedystef
1/4 welsh, that's good to hear, I am also applying to Manchester, Barts and Leicester :smile:, where are you applying? (Bristol surely!)

(I REALLY HOPE I GET IN THIS YEAR TOO)

im applying to sheffield, leeds, cardiff and southampton. nah not bristol, too close to home and my mum works at the uni! :p:
well fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 5
I've also applied to Cardiff :biggrin:
Reply 6
Dont have 2009 data for cardiff.

But here is the 08 Data.

Applicants: 2371
Interviews: ?
Offers: 592
Places: 305
Reply 7
yep i'm applying....second time round for me :smile:
I'm applyinggg :smile: :yep:
Reply 9
And meeeeeeeee :biggrin: Can't keep me away from the place :biggrin:
Reply 10
vas876

But here is the 08 Data.

thankyooou :smile:
so scared.....
vas876

But here is the 08 Data.

I think I was told last year it was around 2900 applicants. Don't know how many offers were made, but probably around the same as 2008.

there are around 300 people on the course (or maybe slightly under that I think).

You'll really enjoy the tour they give you when you go there for interview. It's great, you get to look at a cadaver and the dissection room.

Hope you guys are dissection freaks though! 2 full days of dissection per week, more than any medical school I think :smile:

Good luck to all those applying this year!
omlette
And meeeeeeeee :biggrin: Can't keep me away from the place :biggrin:

ooo what's the uni like? is Cardiff nice?
I've heard it's amazing so I applieddd :smile:
bob9001
ooo what's the uni like? is Cardiff nice?
I've heard it's amazing so I applieddd :smile:

It's a very nice uni. Most of the first year you'll be located in the biosi building. You'll have to go to heath park (the actual med school) after the first or second year I think (I'm a first year). The building themselves look pretty nice if you're into all that. Lots of stuff to do, great student union, nightlife etc. In fact don't overdo it with the nightlife (like I've done, and now I'm feeling pretty ill, hence I'm on student room lol).

Lots of lectures, lots of dissection. Not that much work outside of lectures at the moment, though that may change.
Inspirations have I none
It's a very nice uni. Most of the first year you'll be located in the biosi building. You'll have to go to heath park (the actual med school) after the first or second year I think (I'm a first year). The building themselves look pretty nice if you're into all that. Lots of stuff to do, great student union, nightlife etc. In fact don't overdo it with the nightlife (like I've done, and now I'm feeling pretty ill, hence I'm on student room lol).

Lots of lectures, lots of dissection. Not that much work outside of lectures at the moment, though that may change.

ahh thanks for that very useful :smile:
are the clubs really good? It looks like a vibrant city with lots to do :yep:

alsoo do you know how they select for interview?

p.s moved up you a gem :smile:
helenjayne
so scared.....

awww don't be! the interview is pretty friendly and relaxed. You get a tour before the interview, and get to meet the other people being interviewed on the same day as you. By the time you actually have to go to be interviewed, you'll be pretty relaxed. They interview quite a lot of people in my opinion at cardiff, so I think you've all got a great chance of getting an interview/offer.
bob9001
ahh thanks for that very useful :smile:
are the clubs really good? It looks like a vibrant city with lots to do :yep:

alsoo do you know how they select for interview?

p.s moved up you a gem :smile:

A lot of the clubs/societies are a bit silly, and an excuse for just meeting to drink. There are lots of clubs though, and if you look hard you'll be able to pick the serious ones out from the rest (though admittedly joining the silly clubs is rather fun too, lol).
Drinking and the nightlife is a big part of Cardiff. That may be a good or bad thing. Every single day there are people standing outside giving you leaflets to come to this nightclub or this drinking event etc.

I'm not completely sure, but cardiff are one of those med schools which pretty much look at everything, give you a score for it and thus give you an offer. because of this, everyone isn't equal at interview (As they add up the points for each section and then give out offers), so some may have to do better at interview to compensate.
Inspirations have I none
A lot of the clubs/societies are a bit silly, and an excuse for just meeting to drink. There are lots of clubs though, and if you look hard you'll be able to pick the serious ones out from the rest (though admittedly joining the silly clubs is rather fun too, lol).
Drinking and the nightlife is a big part of Cardiff. That may be a good or bad thing. Every single day there are people standing outside giving you leaflets to come to this nightclub or this drinking event etc.

I'm not completely sure, but cardiff are one of those med schools which pretty much look at everything, give you a score for it and thus give you an offer. because of this, everyone isn't equal at interview (As they add up the points for each section and then give out offers), so some may have to do better at interview to compensate.

ahh cool :smile:
i heard they have a GCSE cut off? or points or somethingg? I think!
bob9001
ahh cool :smile:
i heard they have a GCSE cut off? or points or somethingg? I think!

you really should have known about the GCSE cut off some time ago if you have already sent your application via ucas, lol.

I think the cutoff for GCSEs is 5A*s or 6A*s. I think the figure was 22 or 23 last year with points as follows, A*=3, A=2 B=1. Look at top 9 subjects. Therefore if we say the cutoff is 23, that's 5A*s and the rest As.

Cut off point may go up though this year, you never know. What did you get at GCSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending