Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok here's the deal. I want to do a conversion course to law but can't afford it unless I get sponsored by a solicitors firm. However, I don't wanna work for a big London firm (my cousin does. He gets loads of money but he has no life at all) besides, i don't want to do corporate law. However if I look for regional firms, they're not going to be able to afford to sponsor me! Bit of a dilemma! Seems like swings and roundabouts to me!

ReputationRep:
    Well get started by doing your CPE or MA law. When you finish this why not get a job as a paralegal or something similar with a smaller firm and do your LPC part time - you can do them over 2 yrs at night at some unis. That way you can afford it but you dont have to go for a big firm.

ReputationRep:
    can't afford the CPE! Already £12,000 indebt from student loans so another £5,000 or so for the CPE is out of the question. I need sponsorship before I even start that!

ReputationRep:
    CPE prices vary have you looked at prices yet. Also unless have a first or have an in with a law firm at the moment there is no way that you will get sponsorship for the CPE. You can also do a 2yr LLB at some places and the fees for this are cheaper.
    You really could do with taking a year off to work. However the disadvantage of this is that if you take more than a year out your grad overdraft facility at the bank will go.
    I have as much debt as you and I am doing the course. At Sheffield you can do the 2 yr MA course for approx 1.500 per yr. All the compulsary seminars are on one day so you can do a job at the same time. You would need to be organised tho because the volume of reading is huge.

The LPC is a fortune I cant afford to do it without sponsorship but if I dont get sponsorship i will do it over 2yrs whilst working full time.

You can also do an open Uni course that takes you to 2yr LLB standard whilst working.

ReputationRep:
    If you do the CPE or MA or LLB at a local uni you could live at home which would save on accommodation fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    If you do the CPE or MA or LLB at a local uni you could live at home which would save on accommodation fees.
    Tell me more about the law degree. How much readin? Is it reeeeally boring? Is it a lot of written essays? etc etc...thanx

ReputationRep:
    erm is it a lot of reading - well I guess it depends which uni to go to, but I would say it is one of the courses with possibly the most reading.
    Is it boring- well it depends on whether you are interested in law and what bits you like. i like contract law and not constitiutional but loads of people from my course prefer the constitutional.

Its more reading than essays, this term i have got 3 big essays and 3 exams after xmas.

ReputationRep:
    well I'm applying at the moment for training contracts with some regional firms but they only give sponsorship for the LPC. Suppose I'll either have to get out a grad loan or sell my body on the streets!

ReputationRep:
    Well check out whether you are def eligible for a grad loan. I'm not because i cant pay it back in time. I am lucky because there is a local scheme (some rich bloke died and left money for those wanting to continue in education) so I applied and they are paying my fees for this yr and hopefully if I reapply next yr they will pay them then too.
    See if you do have anything available locally. Good luck with applying for training contracts most people wont consider you yet though. I have found that people dont want me to apply til next yr cos my course is 2yrs they want some kind of indication of predicted grades first.

ReputationRep:
    they seem quite happy for me to apply with a view of starting in 2006. It'll mean finishing the LPC and going straight to work though. I'll be about 27 before I start earning money :mad: and then about 127 before all my debts are paid off!

ReputationRep:
    wow which firms have you applied to you have obviously found ones I havent looked at. Hey I wont be earning money until I am 27 either.

I wont finish my MA until I am 25, LPC 26 its depressing but I guess it is better in the long run than a crappy job with no prospects.

ReputationRep:
    there's quite a few. Go to your uni careers service and pick up the training contract and pupillage handbook. There's loads in there, or you could check out lawcareers.net

ReputationRep:
    why not apply for the bigger regional firms that will sponsor the CPE? I'm thinking of DLA/eversheds/wragges etc. their quality of life (as long as you avoid their london offices) are better than the city firms, but still fairly tough.

also, don't worry about doing the lpc in your mid/late 20s. i'm at bpp right now, and there are a fair few people in this age range here.

ReputationRep:
    I have but most of the places i have written to have said that even though i am in my penultimate yr of my course which is what they usually ask for, because it is my first yr and they have no results etc, they would want me to apply next year. CPE people normally apply in the xmas of their course I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of a non law degree and all the firms want is a guarantee that I'll be getting a 2:1 Just means I have to get my tutors to write refrences. They all claim they're too busy though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have a 2.1. Oh well I guess I will just have to shop around a few more firms during the xmas hols. Cheers for the info.

ReputationRep:
    s'ok. You were very helpful too!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.