The Student Room Group

Driving on your own for the FIRST TIME

I've got my driving test tomorrow, and what worries me, is not whether i pass or fail, but IF i pass, I have to now drive on my own, no guidance from my instructor or my dad. HOW THE HELL am i meant to do that?! ahahaha.

I've got the skill/knowledge, but i'd need to build up confidence driving on my own. How do i go about doing this? Simply driving on quiet roads then stepping that up and such, or what?

How does everyone else do it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes, exactly what you said. practise and take it easy for a while.
Reply 2
i got in, and drove off.
two weeks later, i drove from birmingham to brighton, and back again.

good times.
Reply 3
I'll be taking my test soon, and if I pass, the first thing I'll be doing is heading to the motorway. Nothing will get your confidence up like that.
You should be able to handle any roads fine once you pass your test, even motorways (which are far easier than any other roads imo).

Don't expect to be the best driver out there, build up your confidence. And just enjoy.
Reply 5
cpj1987
I'll be taking my test soon, and if I pass, the first thing I'll be doing is heading to the motorway. Nothing will get your confidence up like that.

haha, the first time on the motorway way the scariest thing I did in my whole life. (I've had a boring life :p: ) I couldn't get into 5th gear, went into 3rd instead by mistake. Tried to change back to 4th and got 2nd. At 50 mph. I was terrified that I murdered my car and all this traffic was coming at me really fast and just general total panic. I'm surprised I didn't cause an accident :p: my sister was in the car with me looking like she was going to bail out!
babout a month before my test i was driving without any input from my instructor or mum, are you really ready for your test?!
Get the practice in, but I'd be wary of your limits. I passed my test when I was 18, and hadn't driven since then, until earlier this year (I'm now 20). Even so, I went on the motorway for the first time when I had my first drive since passing, though I was with someone. I've driven about a bit by myself, but don't overdo it with long trips just yet, and be wary of driving in quite hazardous weather so soon (if its pissing it down on a motorway for example, maybe try that after driving in better conditions for a while first).
You will still make silly mistakes, so I'd wear P plates for a while too - even these sometimes don't make drivers more sympthetic, in which case, you'll have more chance of succeeding on a claim if you have the P plates.
Reply 8
cpj1987

That's what I did.
Doesnt really feel any different... you can finally have the radio on though. :p:
Reply 10
sadie-kiki
haha, the first time on the motorway way the scariest thing I did in my whole life. (I've had a boring life :p: ) I couldn't get into 5th gear, went into 3rd instead by mistake. Tried to change back to 4th and got 2nd. At 50 mph. I was terrified that I murdered my car and all this traffic was coming at me really fast and just general total panic. I'm surprised I didn't cause an accident :p: my sister was in the car with me looking like she was going to bail out!

I'm learning automatic, so things can't go that wrong. :p:
its not hard, lol.

remember the 1st rule of driving:

you can always cut someone up safety if you do it slowly, ahha
Reply 12
As the old phrase goes, "you pass your test and then you learn how to drive." Probably some truth in that but it's not much difference except as someone said radio, and cross your hands over the wheel when turning without being moaned at.
Reply 13
Have somebody with you the first couple of times. I was so scared but I took it easy, had somebody with me and I was fine. You get more confident with time-I was terrified at first but now I'd say I'm the most confident driver out of all my friends.
Reply 14
cpj1987
I'm learning automatic, so things can't go that wrong. :p:

haha, aww you're lucky - my car's gears had a different layout to my instructor's, so I felt utterly useless!
Reply 15
On my first drive on my own, the car simultaneously filled with smoke and broke down on a roundabout. I had to push it off the roundabout on my own. :biggrin:
Intensive course and first time pass meant I'd had less than 20 hours in the car by the time I passed...the day after passing I did a 100 mile drive, most of it motorway and found out in a hurry just how ill-prepared I really was. My story aside, the first time you drive alone is always going to be a bit odd - you just have to suck it up if you want to be able to drive independently.
I passed on friday, I drove to tesco to buy some soured cream for the celebratory fajitas I was making.

I was smiling all the way and I don't think the people using the zebra crossing in front of me looked very comfortable when they noticed.
Reply 18
It's a weird experience but after, say, 15 miles, you'll start appreciating only having your own company in the car, and being able to drive how YOU want to. Good luck with your test, OP.
I think when you pass its best to go out pretty much as soon as you get home from your test if possible. While you are happy and really confident from passing. The longer you put it off, the less confident you will feel.

Just go somewhere you go a lot with other people, like when I pass I will be driving straight to my boyfs, its really easy to get there, a straight road, a roundabout where you go straight over, then another straight road then turn off. Somewhere easy like that just so you know exactly where youre going and its only 5 mins to start off with.

Latest

Trending

Trending