Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think that killing a human being is wrong even if they really piss you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    Well some of you got it at least.

For all the people who said "yes", killing is always wrong it has to be put forward that surely killing Mugabe if you had the opportunity would be right?

For all the people who said "no", killing isn't always wrong where do you draw the line? It seems it can be drawn on a spectrum of moral extremes e.g. on the one extreme euthanasia, or compassionate killing. To the other extreme murder to prevent further suffering of larger numbers e.g. killing a dictator, killing a gunman holding hostages.

All the "no" sayers I suggest would agree with the killing for these two extremes. However when moving a metaphorical slider in from both sides of the two opposite extremes where does killing again become wrong? And, more importantly if someone slides the slider past your point of acceptance would you say that other person feels less strongly that their position is morally right than you do? For instance what if someone doesn't even think euthanasia is right, however you strongly do - you've moved the slider further then they do however you both feel morally that your positions are correct - who/what has the right to decide therefore which of you has the "correct" slider position? The majority?

The latter point was supposed to be the crux of my arguement, that's why I asked such a blanket black or white question in my first post - just play along next time guys please!

Andrew
    So I was right when I asked if you had some other issue up your sleeve!
    You lie! You lie! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Lions, tigers, dogs, cattle, horses, chimpanzees, bonobos.
    Just to be going along with.
    Certainly. Someone who has killed someone else without a very good reason is a threat to everyone else and should be prevented from doing it again, either by imprisonment or by killing them. There are, under different circumstances, moral arguments for each measure.
    Cattle? You sure about that one?

And for what reason? Anger? Grief? And you'd let these animals, driven by their instincts, to govern what we, as rational human beings, do?
    Our reason is what makes us different from other animals, and that's what we should use.
    If you are advocating being guided by our instincts then killing under any circumstances is OK. A revenge killing for example... he steals your phone and you kill him for revenge. Acceptable?

Of course they should be prevented from doing it again... no-one would disagree with that. I think it's the killing people have an issue with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    So I was right when I asked if you had some other issue up your sleeve!
    You lie! You lie! :eek:
    I did - however I didn't want the discovery of what that was to stop the answering of the original question.

No one has actually answered my questions from my elaboration (what you quoted) yet

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    GUys who say that killing is just plain wrong you're just saying that cause apparently you don't really know what it means.You're talking about not killing even if we're "extremely pissed off" , if someone comes and grabs your little 8 yrs old sister , rapes and kills her , believe mem an you won't use the word pissed cause it won't even apply to the frzaking situation , you'll jsut want a shotgun to shoot the damned fool who did it , that's my idea of simplicity!Everybody can kill even if they say they think it's not right , jsut wait for the right situation and you'll be able to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Really? Do you take antobiotics when you're ill? Your immune sytem works by killing the microbes, bacteria etc that cause illnesses. What do you eat?
    I don't actually eat antibiotics at all, and I tend to prefer the non-meat dishes when I eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    So you wouldn't exterminate a rat infestation in your house? Or take anti-biotics?

edit: just realised some1 beat me to this point
    No need to kill the rat, you can just trap it and throw it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totalnatal)
    GUys who say that killing is just plain wrong you're just saying that cause apparently you don't really know what it means.You're talking about not killing even if we're "extremely pissed off" , if someone comes and grabs your little 8 yrs old sister , rapes and kills her , believe mem an you won't use the word pissed cause it won't even apply to the frzaking situation , you'll jsut want a shotgun to shoot the damned fool who did it , that's my idea of simplicity!Everybody can kill even if they say they think it's not right , jsut wait for the right situation and you'll be able to do anything.
    It's not about what you're able to do. That man was able to rape your little sister, doesn't make it right.

You're letting your emotions get in the way of reasoned thinking - yes, he should be locked up for life, but surely, on top of my moral arguments against killing in any situation, you're letting him get away with it?

I'd rather he had to live with himself, and the guilt and shame that come with doing it, for the rest of his life.

ReputationRep:
    Killing out of hatred, revenge etc. is wrong in my opinion.

Therefore in my opinion the following are wrong: murder, the death penatly, war, and killing an evil dictator like Mugabe.

But...I would support a war if it was absolutely neccessary, and would support killing an evil dictator if the outcome would mean a better situation than before. Although both of these deeds are evil in my opinion, this would be far outweighed by the good that would result. So by putting it on a balance, good wins.

I would not support the death penalty, because I don't believe that the 'good' that comes out of the death penatly, namely revenge and deterrent, (or 'Justice', with a big Beekeeper capital J) balances the evil of the execution.

Murder is always wrong, but if you kill someone who would otherwise kill your family, the good outweighs the evil. However, if you failed to kill him, he killed your family, and you killed him in revenge, this would be understandable, but in my opinion, wrong. (Unless he was going to kill you.)

Euthanasia is not wrong, as it's whole pupose is good. Abortion is a tricky one, haven't decided that yet.

That's where I am on the slider anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    It's not about what you're able to do. That man was able to rape your little sister, doesn't make it right.

You're letting your emotions get in the way of reasoned thinking - yes, he should be locked up for life, but surely, on top of my moral arguments against killing in any situation, you're letting him get away with it?

I'd rather he had to live with himself, and the guilt and shame that come with doing it, for the rest of his life.
    I know it's acting upon your emotions but I think I'd prefer killing as stupid things exist such as confitional liberty or if you do some services you get less time and finish your jail sentence before it's supposed to.In France recently a guy who killed a woman in the past and was just released from prison did it again.I'm sorry but I don't give a damn just take him clean and he WON'T do it again , I prefer to be safe than sorry.For me ppl who kill should not be offered a second chance and bc they took the life of someone else they should not get to enjoy theirs even if they're in prison cause there are always some ways to have fun in a prison or having human contact etc...The person who was killed will never get a chance to experience in life , it's just unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Is killing a human being wrong?
    is the pope a catholic?

Is killing a human being wrong?
    Is the Pope a muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Obviously its wrong.

Do you mean something more specific like Euthanasia, Abortion or killing in warfare?

Or do you mean the death penalty? Which I think is always wrong and would never want reintroduced here.
    interesting you have north korea as your flag then...with those comments

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go with the majority here and say that more needs to be added to the question before I can answer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totalnatal)
    I know it's acting upon your emotions but I think I'd prefer killing as stupid things exist such as confitional liberty or if you do some services you get less time and finish your jail sentence before it's supposed to.In France recently a guy who killed a woman in the past and was just released from prison did it again.I'm sorry but I don't give a damn just take him clean and he WON'T do it again , I prefer to be safe than sorry.For me ppl who kill should not be offered a second chance and bc they took the life of someone else they should not get to enjoy theirs even if they're in prison cause there are always some ways to have fun in a prison or having human contact etc...The person who was killed will never get a chance to experience in life , it's just unacceptable.
    How else will you make people with a life sentence behave in prison? Prisons are understaffed and the people who work there are overworked and exploited as it is - if the inmates have no incentive to behave well then the prisons will become a joke.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Everyone. Because people make mistakes and you have to acknowledge that. We are, after all, only human.

You think living with yourself after you've performed a murder would be fun? Well my goodness me, someone's never heard of a conscience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by October Project)
    I'm going to go with the majority here and say that more needs to be added to the question before I can answer it.
    What more can possibly be added, I extended the original question and got to the crux of what I wanted answered but as yet no one has ventured to answer my elaboration.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Killing in its self is not right.

if some one raped and killed my little kid. my morels would fly out the window

youve got living with your self for killing some one

i couldn't live with my self for not seeing the person who killed my child suffer.

people make mistakes but murder is not a mistake as to be convicted with murder you need a mens rai *spelling again*
    manslaughter is accidental in a way as it doesn't require one.
    but murder does.. there for it was done with a guilty mind and they intended to do it or they were just so stupid and reckless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    is the pope a catholic?
    Not according to Mel Gibson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    What more can possibly be added, I extended the original question and got to the crux of what I wanted answered but as yet no one has ventured to answer my elaboration.

Andrew
    Ah, sorry, I didn't see that you have elaborated. Although you should really add the explanation to your original post, so that other people don't have to go searching for your full question.

And I have to say I agree with you on what you said: where do you draw the line?

When it comes to mass murderers, a lot of people say they should be killed, but I don't see the point in that. Killing someone for killing? No logic whatsoever. I don't think anyone, no matter how powerful they are or what motives they have, should be allowed to kill anyone, no matter what their crime. Yes, a mother of a murdered child would love to kill the murderer, but then that murderer's mother would want to kill her child's murderer...and so on. There's no end to it; the only way you can stop this chain is to not allow the murder of a killer.

As for euthanasia, that is one exception. I think that if someone wants to end their life, and are able to give confirmation that it is what they want, someone should be allowed to help them die. Abortion is another acception; I don't see a foetus as a livng person, and therefore hasn't had a life, so aborting it isn't murder as it hasn't had it's life taken from it; it hasn't had one yet to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    If I were to set up a snipers position in a tower block overlooking a school and pick of half a dozen 10 year olds during play time that would be wrong. If I were to shoot someone in self defence or for the defence of someone else that would be right.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.