Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    If I were to set up a snipers position in a tower block overlooking a school and pick of half a dozen 10 year olds during play time that would be wrong. If I were to shoot someone in self defence or for the defence of someone else that would be right.
    Or maybe not right in itself, just balanced out by the fact that by commiting the wrong you are doing more of a right, i.e. saving yourself or someone else.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the thread. No - period

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Or maybe not right in itself, just balanced out by the fact that by commiting the wrong you are doing more of a right, i.e. saving yourself or someone else.
    OK....."acceptable" or "justifiable" rather than "right"

ReputationRep:
    Is killing a human being wrong?
    blatantly :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    is the pope a catholic?
    hes a roman catholic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    hes a roman catholic
    Quite. ALL Christians are catholic. The pope is a Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    hes a roman catholic
    On the subject of killing and pope. I think that after this one dies, and they all have their little conclave, the new pope should be assasinated with a sniper rifle. The other cardinals would be so pissed off when they realise they have to go in for another conclave straight away, it would be classic entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    That seems a bit wrong to me. Catholics are quite touchy when you say all Christians are Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    funny how most people would say that it is wrong to kill a human being in any situation, however when given the oppurtunity (when in the situation), and sufficient cues, they will act! [referring to the Study of Conformity, Milgram - 'teachers' shocked a 'learner' whenever they got a question wrong. The voltage was increased each time, up to 450V]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    That seems a bit wrong to me. Catholics are quite touchy when you say all Christians are Catholic.
    Only roman catholics. Actually I don't think it is quite true that all christians are catholics: don't some call themselves exclusive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    funny how most people would say that it is wrong to kill a human being in any situation, however when given the oppurtunity (when in the situation), and sufficient cues, they will act! [referring to the Study of Conformity, Milgram - 'teachers' shocked a 'learner' whenever they got a question wrong. The voltage was increased each time, up to 450V]
    In fairness to Milgram's subjects: it wasn't a matter of being given the opportunity but of considerable moral force being exerted and with considerable reluctance on the part of many of the people involved. I agree that it's a frightening study, but not as an example of natural willingness to kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    Christ established one Church. Read the creeds. They all reference "one, holy, catholic, apostolic" Church.

The word catholic (small "c") pertains to that one body of Christ and comes from the Greek word meaning "universal" or "worldwide" Therefore all Christians are catholic but not all Christians are Roman Catholic (sometimes shortened to "Catholic" with a big "c")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    In fairness to Milgram's subjects: it wasn't a matter of being given the opportunity but of considerable moral force being exerted and with considerable reluctance on the part of many of the people involved. I agree that it's a frightening study, but not as an example of natural willingness to kill.
    Well it does show that people in the situation, when responsibility is with someone else, will commit such terrible acts (linked to the Nazi's).. But yea, it doesn't show the willingness to kill...

I think the fact that people can aim a missile at a person miles away, someone they havent seen before, makes it so much easier to kill someone - They all know its wrong, yet they still launch the missiles. Its horrible For all i know, a missile may be heading toward my house right now

I think most people (exception being the few who enjoy killing - army recruits? + Gangs) know that killing is wrong, and would agree they would never kill another human, but this is certainly not the case.... there have been many instances when a 'pacifist' has pressed a button, sending a missile to kill other people.

Umm lol, think i lost the point of this thread somewhere up there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not all christians are catholics, all catholics are christians but some christians could be prostestants

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.