The Student Room Group

Jump from GCSE Chemistry to A-level Chemistry

well then..

What i did was double science. my exam board was AQA.

The exams which are done in triple science chemistry are c1a,c1b,c2,c3
But in double science, i did, c1a,c1b and c2.

People are teling me that the gap is so steep from GCSE to A level chemistry that it is virtually cumpolsury to do C3 or you wil be at a huge disadvantage. But i neve get to ask them HOW?

that is why im here..typing away..for an answer..

is this true?
will i die in A level chemistry? (btw the A level exam board is also AQA)
how hard will it be to cope?

and also, i did get 100/100 ums in c2
and A's in c1a and c1b. so im not thick.
Reply 1
You are fine with C2. I did AS Chemistry without C3 and got a high A.
Reply 2
chin up, just work hard

it's getting your head around the new concepts that's the tricky bit. but once you've got those nailed you're offffff.
some girls came into my sixth form after having done a multiple choice science gcse and they're doing fine. fine as in A's. (we're AQA)
you will die if you go straight from GCSE to Alevel :p:
usually do AS between :wink:
Some people find it a big jump others don't. There's no real way of telling :p:

If you enjoy chemistry, don't be put off by it's difficulty :nah:
Reply 5
I didn't find it a big jump, I got AA for double science at GCSE and was alright, ended up getting a decent A for my AS year when people who were boasting A*'s for triple science at GCSE through the year ended up getting D/E's.

Tbh you'll learn everything you'll need to know during the induction week for chemistry.
Reply 6
I honestly didn't think heir was much of a jump from GCSE to A/s and i really didn't have a clue what was going on with science back in year 11
Dont worry about it. I did Double Award Science, everyone was telling me to do triple but i decided to double award. I got A*A* at the end of GCSE. The Jump from GCSE to AS is quite big. But its easy to cope with. The main problem is people just mess about in college and think they can fluke it like they did in GCSE.
If you, as a committed student, are willing to work hard, then the jump between GCSE to A-level shouldnt be a major concern. Just be willing to work hard and put your best efforts in, it'll be very rewarding in the end. Good luck!
Reply 9
I did AQA full chemistry and got an A* and I struggled a lot with AS chemistry because the course changed to OCR B (Salters) and I struggled constantly with keeping up with the increased difficulty. At the start of year 12 I wanted to do veterinary but after doing so badly at chemistry I had to change that. I got a C at AS (might go up to a B as getting a remark and was 1 off the boundary) but I dropped it because I found it so dull and it drained me massively. Could have been to do with my awful teacher knocking my confidence by pointing out my homework errors to the whole class!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending