Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered the chance to do a BTEC course in Health & Social Care, but I recently found out a few details about it and it means I'd have to make a choice.

Next year, I'll go onto A2s, doing English, History and Sociology. But the BTEC is the equivilant of three A2s (either that or complete A Levels) and has the workload of two. So, obviously, if I took that on as well as the A2s, I'd be pushing myself.

I've been advised to take on the BTEC and Sociology, as these will be an advantage for the course I want to do at university (Occupational Therapy). However, I really enjoy History and English - I'm looking forward to doing them, and I don't want to risk dropping those two for something that I may not enjoy (and if I don't enjoy it, then maybe OT is not the job for me...*shrugs*). The BTEC is a two-year course, so I would definitely take a gap year.

If I take the A2s and ignore the BTEC, I can then at least have a decision between taking a gap year or not (and while I'd prefer to have one, I'm looking at all my options).

ReputationRep:
    If you go for a BTEC, drop the A-levels obviously, as it will be too much if you do both of those qualifications. Check if the uni's accept a BTEC instead of A-levels. The coursework for BTEC will be a lot but it will be helpful for your job though.

If you go for BTEC, you would concentrate on 1 subject only which is a good thing. Taking a BTEC and an A-level would be good, as it will show you are capable of vocational and academic things. I would go for sociology as it will be useful for admission purposes.

If you really like History and English, you could do them in your gap year, and do the BTEC and sociology this year.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done some research into what the BTEC in Health and Social Care actually involves? Sometimes people take these vocational qualifications thinking they'll be relevant to what they want to study and then find out that actually they cover such a broad area that they're not really useful at all. I don't know if BTECs have online specifications or anything like A-levels do, but it would definitely be worth finding out as much as you can about what the course involves. If you do like the sound of it, you could drop English, history and sociology after AS and you'd still have the equivalent of 3 A-levels and 3 ASs, or 4.5 A-levels, but you'd obviously have to make sure your universities would accept that. Another option might be to finish your A-levels and then do the BTEC in your gap year, or maybe just take the BTEC National Award if it's available, which is the equivalent of 1 A-level, along with your A2s.

ReputationRep:
    I knew you will be in this thread kelly! By the way kelly, the BTECs have optional modules to choose with the core modules.

The specificationcan be found here: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/health Click on the one that you are interested.

I would go for the BTEC and sociology (6 units) this year, and english and history in your gap year. I would do that if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    So in my gap year, I'd be doing the final year of BTEC and the two A2 subjects?

I'm liking that. I'm just wondering whether it's alright to have a "break" - obviously if I do that then I'd have a year out from History & English, and I've no idea if I'm allowed to do that and return to the A2 course fine.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    So in my gap year, I'd be doing the final year of BTEC and the two A2 subjects?

I'm liking that. I'm just wondering whether it's alright to have a "break" - obviously if I do that then I'd have a year out from History & English, and I've no idea if I'm allowed to do that and return to the A2 course fine.

Thanks guys!
    Check it out with your college, but I don't see why they'd have a problem with it, as long as the syllabus doesn't change. It would be easier than doing it with something like maths or a language because it's not really something you forget how to do, if you know what I mean. You'll have great flexibility when it comes to applying to university as well, since when you finish them all you'll have the equivalent of 6 A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    *giggles*

"6 A-Levels" - that made me smile.

I'll do a quick email to all my prospective universities and make a point to check in with the college tomorrow. Gotta make sure all this is possible first.

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's will base you on 3 A-levels no matter how many A-levels you take. If you don't do well in one, the other A-level could substitute it and stuff like that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.