Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know it depends on the course and how many people make thier offer in general, but was just wondering if anyone knew of any cases where people had missed their offer by1/2 and still got in and for what course, especially from business dept?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i posted this before.. but i'll do it again here..

i was readin the UCAS - Advice for applicants book.. (im sure youve all got a copy).. it sez

"An admissions tutor may decide to confirm your place even if you do not meet some of the conditions, particularly if you only narrowly fail to achieve the right grades."

so there's still a chance ppl cld get in..

ReputationRep:
    well when i went on the history day they pretty much said, get your grades at all cost... soooooooooooooooo i dont know lol i think it depends if its really close and if its not in the subject which you are majoring in! who knows.

i am they are leniant though lol

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how many people accepted the offer. If too many people did then they'll have to be more strict

ReputationRep:
    I've said this a dozen times but anyway - I wouldn't bet on Notts accepting you if you slip. I'm not. Apparently even Clearing is hard to go through due to top-up fees next year and there is significant rise in applicants this year due to the same reason, hence all unis are far tighter about their conditions.

I say get the grades. Don't think: Notts will take me if I slip. Cus there's a huge chance that they won't.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends how badly they want you at their uni

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok.I mean I'm doing my baccalaureate and I'll be finished on friday and I know that there's a chance I might get a 13.5 instead of a 14 required by the uni.

If you ring them and prove in some ways that you are made for this course and uni than I dn't see why they wouldn't let you in.For instance , In france we have 12 subjects in the scientific section and they are all compulsory!I want to study politics and american studies so basically notts will be looking at my history and litterature OIB grades.I know that I can get a 16 on the written in history 14 on the litterature exam and on the orals I can get a 15-17 in history and same in litterature.If you lose points bc of subjects suc haas math which has nothing to do with your subject you might stand a chance.

But I' ma bit more lucky bc I'll have my results bf everybody on the 4th of july so I can negotiate bf everyone rushes to call the uni in august.I think I might even fly over there just to show them to what extent I want to come!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    I've said this a dozen times but anyway - I wouldn't bet on Notts accepting you if you slip. I'm not. Apparently even Clearing is hard to go through due to top-up fees next year and there is significant rise in applicants this year due to the same reason, hence all unis are far tighter about their conditions.

I say get the grades. Don't think: Notts will take me if I slip. Cus there's a huge chance that they won't.
    Thanks, now I'm really depressed. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think what Iris said is completely right. It's dangerous to get into an 'I'll be alright' mentality. Nottingham have no obligation to take you if you don't meet your offer.

Totalnatal - proving that you're dedicated to going to the uni and studying your course is supposed to be shown through achieving your offer. It is true that some people get in without doing this, but however much Notts wanted you, if the course has 80 places and 80 people make their offer, you will not get in. This is especially true of competetive courses. If your course is undersubscribed anyway, you may get in. If i miss my offer for English i don't think i've got a hope in hell of getting in.

I'm sorry my post isn't very comforting, i'm just trying to tell the truth. There's no point deluding ourselves that we'll all get in regardless of our grades. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I think what Iris said is completely right. It's dangerous to get into an 'I'll be alright' mentality. Nottingham have no obligation to take you if you don't meet your offer.

Totalnatal - proving that you're dedicated to going to the uni and studying your course is supposed to be shown through achieving your offer. It is true that some people get in without doing this, but however much Notts wanted you, if the course has 80 places and 80 people make their offer, you will not get in. This is especially true of competetive courses. If your course is undersubscribed anyway, you may get in. If i miss my offer for English i don't think i've got a hope in hell of getting in.

I'm sorry my post isn't very comforting, i'm just trying to tell the truth. There's no point deluding ourselves that we'll all get in regardless of our grades. xx
    Tis very true

ReputationRep:
    i understand what yj's tryin to say.. in all fairness, i wouldnt have the same 'academic respect' for people who got in short of meeting their offer.. haha
    this thread's made me feel soo nervous all of a sudden. the only assurance i can give myself is ive tried my best.. so now hope for the best..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnstar)
    i understand what yj's tryin to say.. in all fairness, i wouldnt have the same 'academic respect' for people who got in short of meeting their offer.. haha
    this thread's made me feel soo nervous all of a sudden. the only assurance i can give myself is ive tried my best.. so now hope for the best..
    I really wouldn't care if people met their offers or not people with AAB can be far less intellegent than someone with BBB.

Hmm, need some advice people; I'm debating putting all my effort into ICT to ensure I get AABB rather than going for AAAA and probably ending up with ABBB - baring in mind my offer is AAA but for an uncompetitive course is this a risky ploy?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know jump - it's hard to say, only you know what's best for you. If i was you i owuld probably concentrate on my three best subjects and ignore the last one a bit to try as hard as possible to get AAA. AABB is obviously better for you than ABBB though. xx

ReputationRep:
    Well it really does seem to depend on how oversubscribed your course is.
    I have a friend who applied for History, and if I recall she only missed by one grade, she had to change course as a result and is now studying Ancient History at Notts.
    Among the engineers here at Notts I've noticed several who missed their requirements by as much as two grades and have still been accepted.
    It's all a bit risky though, what worked for them may not work for you, so get cracking!!

ReputationRep:
    you wanna go to nottingham hey? get your grades...

(he says, likely to slip up....)

ReputationRep:
    I know people who missed out on Music and Economics at notts because they fell by a grade, economics in particular -won't- take you if you get less than AAAA or AAAB, they like their UCAS average too much

Medicine is also problematic, they keep having too many people meet their offers.

Politics would probably take you on BBB but they weren't letting anyone swap over to the subject this year so I imagine again they over-filled their quotas

Meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Thanks, now I'm really depressed. :p:
    my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the responses..i guess its just a case of hoping and doing your best.

ReputationRep:
    hmm try to be positive. optimisticism goes a long way.
    sheesh i forgot what i wanted 2 say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnstar)
    hmm try to be positive. optimisticism goes a long way.
    sheesh i forgot what i wanted 2 say...
    Optimism? Are you telling that to NG and yourself as well???

ReputationRep:
    I'm nervous about getting my grades. I need BCC, more confident of CCC (however the B would have been in Geography, and I'm doing Engineering, so I'm hoping they'll look at that, and see I got the grades in the necessary subjects.)

Thing is though, over the summer, I'm working at a local gov't research place, doing electronic engineering, which is very similar to what I want to do at Uni, but I didn't know I was doing this when I wrote my personal statement, and I'd quite like to let the uni know, so I can show i'm interested in the course, but how do I tell them?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.