Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwgames)
    I'm nervous about getting my grades. I need BCC, more confident of CCC (however the B would have been in Geography, and I'm doing Engineering, so I'm hoping they'll look at that, and see I got the grades in the necessary subjects.)

Thing is though, over the summer, I'm working at a local gov't research place, doing electronic engineering, which is very similar to what I want to do at Uni, but I didn't know I was doing this when I wrote my personal statement, and I'd quite like to let the uni know, so I can show i'm interested in the course, but how do I tell them?

I would wait till you get the results...and if you get the grades then 'woohoo'. But if you somehow miss it by a slight margin I would call them up and try to persuade them to see that you are the kind of student they are looking for. This summer research would come handy and try to get some form of reference off them so that you can post it over to the University if need be

*a bit of optimism around here folks*

ReputationRep:
    Let me say something. I didn't get the grades to get into Southampton (or indeed Leeds) last year, and so took a gap year. When you phone them up (in my experience), they will have already decided to take you or not. It went something like this:

"Hi, I missed my grades but am wondering if i still got in?"
    "OK, what's your UCAS number?"
    "xxxx"
    "Sorry, no."
    "...Oh, bye."
    "Bye."

What I am saying is, don't get your hopes up. The only way to guarantee yourself a place is to get the grades. Anything else is out of your hands, and by no means a certainty. I'd even say that unless your course is undersubscribed then you probably won't be able to blag a place.

ReputationRep:
    can somebody PLEASE plant an optimism tree.. i will water it everyday, i promise but somebody has to plant the damn tree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnstar)
    can somebody PLEASE plant an optimism tree.. i will water it everyday, i promise but somebody has to plant the damn tree!
    Awwww :hugs: here *plants tree*

Well here's a bit of optimism -

You tried your best,
    Now hope for the best,
    It's out of your hands,
    So sit back and relax

The poem sort of half-rhymes if you read it properly I just prayed in my exam today - it's in God's hands now, I've done what I can. He will place me where He sees me fit. It's not *really* going to lessen my devastation if I don't get into Nottingham, but at least I'll know God's in it :p:

And finnstar we're just being realistic! But in the event of a slip I think I'll ask them if they'll let me in, and if they say no, I'm just gonna ask if I can go in for the BSc Neuroscience course instead I was checking the prospectus today and realised the ONLY course that was for me was Neuroscience - I couldn't see anything else that I could do that I really wanted to do. Medicine would probably be my next choice although that's not a switching course option lol! But it's funny how in the entire university - *this* is the one - it's Neuroscience - it's gotta be Neuroscience it's nothing else...

And if I go to my insurance uni, Reading, it'll be Pathobiology I'd be doing and they don't offer Neuroscience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnstar)
    Food science was in clearing last year. They wanted wanted DDD-CDD, lol.
    I dont think you need to worry!

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/prospect...aring/#Science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Food science was in clearing last year. They wanted wanted DDD-CDD, lol.
    I dont think you need to worry!

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/prospect...aring/#Science

:bawling:

Neuroscience isn't on there! :bawling:

I better get BBB huh...? I wouldn't have thought Neuroscience was so popular though, considering I haven't found a single person on here who does Neuro or are holding offers for this year :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)

:bawling:

Neuroscience isn't on there! :bawling:

I better get BBB huh...? I wouldn't have thought Neuroscience was so popular though, considering I haven't found a single person on here who does Neuro or are holding offers for this year :confused:
    That's not the full list... I know that both Arts (mainly in languages but also philosophy I think) and L+SS (in sociology/social policy type stuff) both had vacancies last year, I imagine they just took them off the list as they got filled up. I can't remember the original list though, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    My god this is like so freaking unfair!!!

You guys need C's and D's ????My gosh without working I would get those grades , I've really had it wityh this system which doesn't have a clue what the French baccalaureate is and how difficult it is compared to your A levels , we have 12 compulsory subjects for gods sake!!!I'm so jealous , hope I get my 14/20(it's a B!) on the 30th!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totalnatal)
    My god this is like so freaking unfair!!!

You guys need C's and D's ????My gosh without working I would get those grades , I've really had it wityh this system which doesn't have a clue what the French baccalaureate is and how difficult it is compared to your A levels , we have 12 compulsory subjects for gods sake!!!I'm so jealous , hope I get my 14/20(it's a B!) on the 30th!!!
    Most people don't need Cs and Ds! I needed ABB, it's only a very few unpopular courses through clearing that you can get into with those grades. The lowest grades I've come across anyone actually here with are BCC!

ReputationRep:
    I also need ABB which is 14....But I don't understand there are some very interesting courses with Cs and Ds and they are not the easiest ones such as biotechnology or microbiology....My gosh I wish for the best on result day the 30th of June otherwise I'll negotiate like a maniac with notts!

ReputationRep:
    i need AAB, as does a few other English applicants and Finn needs AAA, as do law applicants. The interesting courses like microbiology have low entry requirements because they're not very popular, not because they're not difficult. xx

ReputationRep:
    i swear upon the seedlings of that optimism tree that food science stays unpopular until after i get in!!
    SinghFello, thanks.. i reealy appreaciate it!! all the best for your exams..
    what course are you doing? are you like in notts already? youre from india! haha cooL!
    tell me do they have curry powder packets in notts? i need to eat curry once a week at least to survive!! or chapati and dhal! hehehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Awwww :hugs: here *plants tree*

Well here's a bit of optimism -

You tried your best,
    Now hope for the best,
    It's out of your hands,
    So sit back and relax

The poem sort of half-rhymes if you read it properly I just prayed in my exam today - it's in God's hands now, I've done what I can. He will place me where He sees me fit. It's not *really* going to lessen my devastation if I don't get into Nottingham, but at least I'll know God's in it :p:

And finnstar we're just being realistic! But in the event of a slip I think I'll ask them if they'll let me in, and if they say no, I'm just gonna ask if I can go in for the BSc Neuroscience course instead I was checking the prospectus today and realised the ONLY course that was for me was Neuroscience - I couldn't see anything else that I could do that I really wanted to do. Medicine would probably be my next choice although that's not a switching course option lol! But it's funny how in the entire university - *this* is the one - it's Neuroscience - it's gotta be Neuroscience it's nothing else...

And if I go to my insurance uni, Reading, it'll be Pathobiology I'd be doing and they don't offer Neuroscience
    that half rhyme has to be the nicest form of optimism ive come across!! thank you! somehow i have a feeling that it was consolation to yourself too, because as each paper flies by, thats what you tell yourself.. i know this because during my exams.. i told myself this very same thing..

You tried your best,
    Now hope for the best,
    It's out of your hands,
    So sit back and relax

*too mellow a post*

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just been reading bits of this thread and it sounds like you've all reached a bit of a low (understatement?) but I wanna plant a bit of optimism of my own

All you can do is your best. Period. If you have worked hard, and tried as much as you can then you will get the grades you deserve. Literally, that is all there is to it!

I'm sure you have all worked really, really hard! And Nottingham can't fail to realise that. Yeah, ok, they made you an offer of specific grades, cos thats what they want - I wont lie. But, for as many stories as there are of people not being accepted with lower grades, there are as many for people who do!

So keep smiling, kepp your chins up and just keep going till the 30th or whenever they finish for ya! Then party hard till the 18th Aug, and it can all be dealt with then

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Maths wasn't up for clearing, hopefully that means they take narrow misses...

*crosses fingers*
    Well it wasn't necessarly not in clearing- it might have been at the start and then the places were filled, so they took it off the list. I'd have thought it being in clearing would be a good thing, because then they'd still have space to take the near misses, and they'd probably go for them before clearing applicants.

ReputationRep:
    if for example we fail to get the results they want but my results are good enough for another course which is on the clearing list and I have my results before everybody , is there still a chance to get in by taking another course?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totalnatal)
    if for example we fail to get the results they want but my results are good enough for another course which is on the clearing list and I have my results before everybody , is there still a chance to get in by taking another course?

Thanks
    anyone?I'm asking this because the courses in microbiology and biotech are interesting and I'm doing a scientific baccalaureate and I'm predicted around a 14 or above in biology.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you will probably have to wait until everyone has their results before you find out whether you have been accepted or not, so you probably won't be able to aply before everyone else. You could go for other sciencey things through clearing though, they're often there. xx

ReputationRep:
    haha the past few posts have been encouraging!
    y'knw now i think its no longer wether i can get into notts, its wether i can exceed their requirement grades and get that A for Chem!! plenty of optimism to go around..
    i could go into detail how the Japanese Zen will be in our favour, and bring our minds into harmony those few seconds before recieving our results.. hehe
    (what am i saying?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmoorkatie)
    well when i went on the history day they pretty much said, get your grades at all cost... soooooooooooooooo i dont know lol i think it depends if its really close and if its not in the subject which you are majoring in! who knows.

i am they are leniant though lol
    did you go to notts on the history day too?

how weird... i may have seen you there!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.