Turn on thread page Beta

being tried for the same crime twice... watch

ReputationRep:
    No, they can't (or couldn't, I don't know if the new act applies to Scotland, I don't think it does). A 'not proven' verdict legally means that you have not been convicted of the crime, and has the same legal effect as a final acquittal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    No, they can't (or couldn't, I don't know if the new act applies to Scotland, I don't think it does). A 'not proven' verdict legally means that you have not been convicted of the crime, and has the same legal effect as a final acquittal.
    I think this is due to the culture where your assumed innocent until proven otherwise. perhaps if there was no assumption either way and therefore both sides had to fight to prove innocence/guilt. through that way, a "not proven" verdict would probably make a lot more sence and retrials wouldnt be such an issue? sounds a bit regimistic though

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.