Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,
    I'm very new here but this seems like a really friendly place to get some good advice . I was just wondering whether any of you guys had considered becoming a tutor in any subjects?
    Im currently 16 and have a double A* predicted in English (hopefully I'll get it!) and I would be really interested to know whether it is possible to tutor kids in lower years at all.
    If any of you have any advice or just general thoughts on the matter, it would be great if you could share them

Thanks In Advance everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, though most parents seem to prefer slightly older people as tutors. What subject/s were you thinking of offering? Modern languages tend to be particularly popular, especially if you have some experience of living/working abroad. At my school you can offer to help kids in lower years during lessons, so you could maybe look into that as an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can mentor people in lower grades. It depends if the teacher needs a tutor in the classes.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of doing general english tuition for year 9 aswell as GCSE students. I helped alot of people in my year through their course, I was just wondering if it was worth looking into as a job, at least through college anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyler.langan)
    I was thinking of doing general english tuition for year 9 aswell as GCSE students. I helped alot of people in my year through their course, I was just wondering if it was worth looking into as a job, at least through college anyway.
    You don't get paid though. If the classes in year 9 and/or GCSE needs tutors, they would ask you for sure, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, I just thought that doing some cheap tuition would be a good way to earn some cash. So what do you guys think is the best way to earn money for people around the age of 16/17 ?

ReputationRep:
    At my school, if you're a sixth former and wish to VOLUNTEER and help lower school pupils in lessons then you can, although obviously only if the teacher doesn't mind you being there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, I just thought that doing some cheap tuition would be a good way to earn some cash. So what do you guys think is the best way to earn money for people around the age of 16/17 ?
    The best way to earn money to do tutoring is outside of school.

ReputationRep:
    I think most parents would want an older, more experienced person to tutor their child. I'm sorry, but I just don't think a 16 year old could be taken particularly seriously as a charging tutor.

ReputationRep:
    yeh for you start charging you'll need to prove you have proper experience, perhaps if you start off volunteering yourself to you school or college and no only then do you buid up proper tutoring experience but you'll be able to get references aswell. You say you helped a few mates in your class, thats a totally different story to tutoring a yr9 kid who just doesnt get it at all, and has probably been forced to see a tutor, so you need to get proper experience, but still at the end of the day, i would focus on your own AS and A-levels before you spend your time helping other kids (not meaning to be dis-charitable) youve just got the get you priorities right. you school may be like mine where 6th formers mentor y8-10 kids with their homework and other work, usually those who achieved low marks in their end of yr exams from the previous year.

your idea is good, but you've just gotta think things through logistically, like one-on-one tutoring, classes (if so where), how to get your name out there (thru teachers, local paper, etc...)

ReputationRep:
    if you want to tutor.. its best to start out with some people you slightly know... i teach piano to a few kids, i know its not really the same as what you're talking about but its generally the same idea. i started teaching when i was 17 and so far have 5 pupils. you just have to be patient and hope that your name will spread by word of mouth. it's worth giving a shot! and if you charge quite a low price then some people will be tempted to choose you over someone who is charging a lot more.
    it's especially helpful if you live in a small close community but it would be worth maybe putting a couple of small ads around the place in shops or a local newspaper etc.
    worth a try cos what have you got to lose?
    good luck!
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    If parents consider their children needing tutoring, they would go the full way of paying. They would prefer quality of teaching and even if that means more money.

I don't think they would want a 16 year old that doesn't even have GCSEs (yet) to be charging and tutoring without teaching experience of the specifications.

Charging low price with low experience VS Charging moderate price with high experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hakkashinhwauk)
    Charging low price with low experience VS Charging moderate price with high experience.
    got it!

ReputationRep:
    my friends german tutro is a level student so you might need to wait till your at college when you leave school leave contact details with subject teachers and ask them to recomend you if anyone asks for a tutor

ReputationRep:
    lol as soon as my GCSE's come out im gonna be tutoring kids for 11+ over here in northern ireland...as long as i get grade C or above in maths, english and science xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy_girl)
    lol as soon as my GCSE's come out im gonna be tutoring kids for 11+ over here in northern ireland...as long as i get grade C or above in maths, english and science xoxo
    That's good. It would look good in your university application, as you are helping out in the school. Good luck on those grades.

ReputationRep:
    Again, you would need to understand the specs are for the transfer examinations, what details you need to teach the children. It's not as easy as just helping out the children by doing practice papers. I've read a hell of a lot of specifications and they are still very vague and hard to understand without sufficient training.

Also... don't want to feel like I'm repeating myself, but it would be hard to find someone who would want a freshly GCSEs qualified school pupil to tutor their children over a qualified teacher/ tutor. As a several members already suggested.

If you want to gain more experience with children and put it onto your CV, I would suggest becoming a volunteer in a youth group, something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    get some credentials

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hakkashinhwauk)
    Again, you would need to understand the specs are for the transfer examinations, what details you need to teach the children. It's not as easy as just helping out the children by doing practice papers. I've read a hell of a lot of specifications and they are still very vague and hard to understand without sufficient training.

Also... don't want to feel like I'm repeating myself, but it would be hard to find someone who would want a freshly GCSEs qualified school pupil to tutor their children over a qualified teacher/ tutor. As a several members already suggested.

If you want to gain more experience with children and put it onto your CV, I would suggest becoming a volunteer in a youth group, something along those lines.

lol the 11+ transfer test is bull****, I know its a whole lot more than practice papers, f*** sake i had to sit it myself like i know it works. I may be only a GCSE student but I have enough backing with Key Stage 3 as well as Entry level certificates in 4th year.... - this is gonna actually be volunteer work....I wouldn't charge for a childs education ever, and it would help if there was a youth group where i live.....its like 10 miles away (literally theres only one in the local town) ive been helping children with their transfer tests since i was in 2nd year, just because i passed mine and gained respect from my teachers because i didnt go to a grammar school.

Also a friend of mine is a maths tutor as he done his maths GCSE last year and got an A* and still he gets at least 10 people coming to him to tutoring lessons in GCSE....it doesnt matter what qualifications you achieve, if your looking to do it outta good will and to help people as long as you have enough knowledge for it you can actually help people if they struggle in a subject without the need for credentials, the transfer paper is going abolished in a couple of years time....parents will want their children to be in the top 10% (could be lower) to receive an A or the next 10% (or once again could be lower) to recieve a B and you're telling me in small country primary schools that they wouldnt want at least 40% of their children in the top 20% of all marks....you better believe it.... ive already got 3 girls to start to tutor in august....people dont want credentials they want people who have enough knowledge that can pass it on to their children so they can apparently get a 'better' education than others.... xoxo

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.