Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted BBC at the start of the year, so when i applied to Unis, i couldn't apply to the ones i wanted, as with those grades, who would want me (here i mean UCL and such likes, which is where i really wanted to go). But having worked my butt off all year, hopefully i will be getting more like ABB/AAB. Does clearing cater for such things? Is it possible to get into a better course/uni by ringing them up on results day?

ReputationRep:
    I think the universities and courses you can get into via clearing tend to be the less prestigious ones, which makes sense considering they haven't managed to fill all their places normally and the people going through clearing are usually the ones with lowish grades. I guess if a lot of people miss their offers from a top university and the admissions tutors don't want to take them with lower grades, they might go into clearing, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. If you really want to go to a better university, your best option would be to take a gap year and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends mentioned that Psychology at Warwick was up for extra so it is likely to be up for clearing too. Have to wait till results day I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but you could still perhaps ring them up and find out it won't cost yoàu a thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I was predicted BBC at the start of the year, so when i applied to Unis, i couldn't apply to the ones i wanted, as with those grades, who would want me (here i mean UCL and such likes, which is where i really wanted to go). But having worked my butt off all year, hopefully i will be getting more like ABB/AAB. Does clearing cater for such things? Is it possible to get into a better course/uni by ringing them up on results day?
    Im kinda in your situation,

dont bother with official clearin,g just get on the phone or email to admissions tutors, not the university admissions office. By this i mean speak to the guys that will actually be looking at the UCAS forms....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but i think if you make the grades for your offers and turn them down, you cannot go through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Are you holding offers already? Because if so any clearing places etc will rely on them releasing you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    One of my friends mentioned that Psychology at Warwick was up for extra so it is likely to be up for clearing too. Have to wait till results day I guess.
    That doesnt got anything to do, does it? Imperial has got loads of courses on extra... and Nottingham had Economics on extra (asks AAA)... but I doubt it'd be on clearing!

ReputationRep:
    yeh you definitely have good chance, as long as you get the required grades im sure UCL and other universities of that level will accept you. You will have to go through clearing and this can be risk, as you might not get into your required course but its worth a try.
    I'm in a similar situation but ive spoken to a former UCL admissions tutor and he has informed me that on results day and there after UCL should be going through clearing for a number of courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    That doesnt got anything to do, does it? Imperial has got loads of courses on extra... and Nottingham had Economics on extra (asks AAA)... but I doubt it'd be on clearing!
    They are on extra because they weren't filled up, if they don't get filled up with people from extra then they'll probably be in clearing - at least I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be too hopeful, but it's worth a try. If you do get much better grades you can drop out of UCAS altogether and re-apply, taking a gap year. That's what I did

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is a good university, but if i did get the chance to go to UCL or somewhere, then it's worth a try. Clearing seems way too risky, so phoning up admissions tutors it is. Thank you. =D

ReputationRep:
    depends which course you are after.

ReputationRep:
    According to your signature, the uni's you applied to for Psychology are good. If you get ABB/AAB in the end, you will have to go to your firm choice as you met the requirements by going over BBC. If you really want to go to more better uni's, you could beg the firm and insurance uni's to release you into clearing. I would just to tell you that the uni's in clearing are not that prestigious (i.e. ex-polys), nevertheless there would be some prestigious uni's in the clearing scheme but not a lot.

If you get ABB/AAB and want to go to a better university, you could reapply again.

ReputationRep:
    I think York went into clearing for Comp Sci last year and lowered the offer to something like BBC when usually it's AAB/ABB....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    I think York went into clearing for Comp Sci last year and lowered the offer to something like BBC when usually it's AAB/ABB....
    Do most universities lower their offers during clearing, or only a small amount do?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.