EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance)- The poll. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It would perhaps be more productive if the students receiving the EMA have to document a short journal, explaining what they have done with it, and how it has been useful to them, in order to get their next installment?
For once I don't think your talking utter bollox :wink: Then again, lying wouldn't be too hard

What do people think about subsidising trips and giving free transport in return for cutting the amount received from EMA, and lowering the bracket to qualify for it?

I mean if you have to pay 2.60 a day for busfare, and 50 quid for conferences and lectures and small subject-based trips over a year. That's over 14 quid a week straight away. This doesn't include things like a 200 quid trip to France, 50 quid for Ball ticket and yearbook, another 50 quid for clothes you might need over a whole year. Then you also have social events etc meals, birthdays, general going our, xmas presents. There is a lot to think about. Now, I'm not saying we need to be paying for poorer kids to afford alcohol or foreign trips, but if we could subsidise school based expenses and transport, then give some EMA to the poorest kids (like below 20k) to have some sort of social interaction, we would have a much fairer and targeted system.
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by inequality)
Do you pay taxes?
I like to show an interest in where exactly these stealth taxes are going before i am forced to pay-up.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
but a payout of £30 a week is essential to some people. i could get by with out it. but i know of people who can't and when they are of sick for one day have nothing to eat the next week in college ect.
True, i am in this kind of situation, relying on £30 to pay for lunch, equipment, and anything else i need, because i'm from a poor background.. I even have to contribute to the internet cost, and the phone bill.... without EMA i would have no money to get by, so i would need to quit education and get a full time job just to support myself and my family... I just cant beleive that, even though some people need EMA, most are referring to it as a bad idea, all because you are generalising it to a select group who don't spend EMA as they should....
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But it tends to be poorer/working-class families, the kids from which are also more likely to be living away from home during sixth form. And middle class parents (who tend to be richer) are at least able to provide financially for the children, which poorer families are not always.
I agree with inequality's continuous line idea for financial support, I think that would be so much better than this stupid bands system.
As I said, no one in my experience chooses 30 quid a week in EMA over the seventy quid you can earn working three nights a week behind a bar.
I'm not convinced about the principles behind EMA, but it does do some good, and I'd rather keep this faulty system that benefits a few of the people who really need it than have nothing at all.
veryjammy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The tax argument I always find a very thin and insubstantial argument. We all pay taxes, even those on 15k a year. And we always will. And I doubt very much that if the money being used on EMA was being diverted elsewhere you would notice the difference. People argue about 'their' tax money all the time, but only when it's going towards something they disapprove of, most of the rest of the time they couldn't care less. Taxing helps wealth redistribution and EMA is simply an extension of that.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Northumbrian)
For once I don't think your talking utter bollox :wink: Then again, lying wouldn't be too hard

What do people think about subsidising trips and giving free transport in return for cutting the amount received from EMA, and lowering the bracket to qualify for it?
I certainly think the bracket should be lowered, i don't want people from £20-30k households sponging my taxes.
I certainly agree that educational trips would be more beneficial aswell. The money that is currently being spent on EMA's could be put into state education (books, teachers), so that all students benefit from the extra cash, not just those from the specific families.

Take the EMA from a class of students at an inner-city comprehensive, and you've got enough cash to hire a new teacher, and buy some extra resources.
kiaora
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by inequality)
Do you pay taxes?
do you?
veryjammy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beekeeper_)
I certainly think the bracket should be lowered, i don't want people from £20-30k households sponging my taxes.
I certainly agree that educational trips would be more beneficial aswell. The money that is currently being spent on EMA's could be put into state education (books, teachers), so that all students benefit from the extra cash, not just those from the specific families.

Take the EMA from a class of students at an inner-city comprehensive, and you've got enough cash to hire a new teacher, and buy some extra resources.
You're missing the point which is that EMA helps with the students private lives such as bus fare, materials etc, it's not meant to help everyone in the class, that's a completely separate matter altogether
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And how many of those students would then not be able to get to school, not be able to eat, not be able to pay the rent? How many of them would no longer be able to afford the what to you seem like trifling costs associated with sixth form eduation, and would quit school to get a dead-end job for the rest of their lives so they can continue to have those lives?
Brown Eyed Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my transportation top and from college i get as a buss pass cause its cheaper other wise it would cost me either £4.40 a day or £2.70 day saver.

but i pay £10 for a student bus pass card(lasts 1 year). then for each term i pay £65 for the bus pass. with out ema i couldn't afford to pay the bulk and make it cheaper in the long run.

my college does free trips
each student is entitled to 1 free trip per year if the qualify - good atendence and grades ect. i was invidted to amster dam (the 1st trip of the year) cause it was in the humanties choice. prague and a few others were toher chioce. second trip were most people pay and the ones who didn't take the 1st trip don't pay... prague would cost £400. they didn't run the amster one again so i don't know

my colege has a pretty good system. and it does work to an extent. but some people get to much and some always get too little.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by veryjammy)
You're missing the point which is that EMA helps with the students private lives such as bus fare, materials etc, it's not meant to help everyone in the class, that's a completely separate matter altogether
The point of an EMA is to pay for bus fare? Then why don't they get a free bus pass instead?

Nobody has a say in where this money goes.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Madelyn)
And how many of those students would then not be able to get to school, not be able to eat, not be able to pay the rent? How many of them would no longer be able to afford the what to you seem like trifling costs associated with sixth form eduation, and would quit school to get a dead-end job for the rest of their lives so they can continue to have those lives?
Not very many.

Deprivation to such an extreme scale is simply not found in Britain. For families that suffer from such amazing poverty (not being able to eat or travel), there are endless benefits available.

You seem to be going to the extreme. What i am saying is that there are hundreds of thousands of students receiving the EMA who come from an economically stable family.
veryjammy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The point of an EMA is to pay for bus fare? Then why don't they get a free bus pass instead?

Nobody has a say in where this money goes.
And to what degree does anyone have a say in anything that happens in this country? Do you know what every last penny of your tax money is spent on? Do you know exactly how much of your tax money is being contributed to EMA? Do you expect to personally approve every last pound of where your tax money goes?

No of course you don't, but you and the middle classes will moan and moan when someone poorer is the beneficiary and you don't get a slice of the pie, because god forbid the poorer may get something you don't. My heart simply bleeds for all those poor families earning 35k a year, how do they cope knowing a poor family is getting EMA for busfair/rent/materials from THEIR tax money? Get over it, there are lots of ways your tax money is spent that you should disapprove of more- helping poor kids get an education shouldn't be one of them.
veryjammy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not very many.

Deprivation to such an extreme scale is simply not found in Britain. For families that suffer from such amazing poverty (not being able to eat or travel), there are endless benefits available.

You seem to be going to the extreme. What i am saying is that there are hundreds of thousands of students receiving the EMA who come from an economically stable family.
Spoken like a typical well-off Middle Englander who has never known hardship.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by veryjammy)
And to what degree does anyone have in say in anything that happens in this country? Do you know what every last penny of your tax money is spent on? Do you know exactly how much of your tax money is being contributed to EMA? Do you expect to personally approve every last pound of where your tax money goes?

No of course you don't, but you and the middle classes will moan and moan when someone poorer is the beneficiary and you don't get a slice of the pie, because god forbid the poorer may get something you don't. My heart simply bleeds for all those poor families earning 35k a year, how do they cope knowing a poor family is getting EMA for busfair/rent/materials from THEIR tax money? Get over it, there are lots of ways your tax money is spent that you should disapprove of more- helping poor kids get an education shouldn't be one of them.
You seem like a right little class warrior :rolleyes: Who said this has anything to do with class?

What you have just said makes me cringe. Why should the people who pay so much tax money (which supports the poor!), "get over it" when even more of their hard earned money is being ploughed into Tony Blairs experiments?
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ok, so that was an extreme. But I know people currently studying for their A levels who, had it not been for EMA, would have decided that it wasn't worth staying on at school, that they couldn't afford it (bus fares, in some cases tram and train fares, textbooks, food, time they could otherwise have spent working and earning money) and would just go out and find some low-paying, unskilled job. Some of these people will now be going to decent universities to get proper degrees and have a real chance in life.
Fair enough, there are people on EMA who probably shouldn't be getting it and don't really need it. I could live without it. But it does make things easier - not just in terms of a social life, to which my EMA, for example, doesn't really contribute. And I think it's better to have EMA helping some of the worst-off kids and benefiting a few who don't need it than depriving those worst-off kids of all financial aid.
veryrandom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
veryjammy makes alot of sense. I mean, instead of complaining about tax payer's money going to help with a teenager's education and help them to get a better future, why not complain about all the tax money that was spent on the war on Iraq?
veryrandom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant to say the war IN Iraq, not on Iraq...
veryjammy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You seem like a right little class warrior :rolleyes: Who said this has anything to do with class?

What you have just said makes me cringe. Why should the people who pay so much tax money (which supports the poor!), "get over it" when even more of their hard earned money is being ploughed into Tony Blairs experiments?
Yes, you pay more tax because you earn more, it's simple. And it goes to the poor. That's repeated throughout the world. Do you have a problem with that? Or is the problem really that someone your age in a family earning substantially less than you gets money you don't? Because that's the real bitter issue here, and you're hiding behind the tax argument.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by veryrandom)
veryjammy makes alot of sense. I mean, instead of complaining about tax payer's money going to help with a teenager's education and help them to get a better future
If that was the aim, then this would be a foolish step.

More teachers, better facilities, better resources of books, computers, and equipment would be the way to really help children in education.

Labour throw more and more cash at these random exercises, without assessing the benefits of extra teachers and resources.
At Tony Blairs first city academy for example, 20 staff cuts have just been made, yet half the students are receiving EMA.

What is the point getting all this money, and driving people to get into school, when there isn't good quality education available?
It's great to drag poor students into school by their hair, but they need good education, and that should be treat with far greater importance.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed