EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance)- The poll. Watch

This discussion is closed.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Economicz)
I still managed to do well in college, but lots of people are put off staying in education because they can't face being broke for two years.
Don't you really mean five or six years? For what is the point in doing A-levels if not to go to university? There are very few jobs available for that level of education. If you are struggling financially to do A-levels, how are you going to cope with the increased financial burden of university? What is the point of pushing people through college to get a set of university entrance qualifications that they won't use?
leahw
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
my sister will qualify for the EMA this year as it is based on household income for the last year, she will still get a part time job and so has no need for the EMA. i managed to have a part time job and study a levels without a financial incentive. there are some who need extra help but the money should be targeted in a different way.
Scheherazade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beekeeper_)
I very much doubt it.

£4,175 loan (£5,175 in London), no tuition fee's to pay.

Where the heck does she stay at term time, the ritz?
Hardly. student halls in first year, and private accomodation second.

according to all these student financial guides I've ben reading it costs on average 10,000 a year living in london - a £5,000 loan is £5,000 at least and minus part-time work i guess would be less but things can add up i suppose as 10,000 is pretty much an estimate.
objectivism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm slightly irrelevant comparison.
There's nothing irrelavant about it. It shows that just because something is going to supposedly good ends does not mean that the process of getting that money is good. There's a difference.

I'd side with Robin Hood the good mugger any day.

A mugger is a mugger. What you are advocating is anarchy.

I still can't understand how you consider yourselves to be robbed. You have a free education, free health service, free police force etc. etc.
I wasn't asked. I dont use their state schools or state hospitals and i've stated how police etc could be funded without coercion on my thread 'is tax theft?'. If you still cant understand go and read my posts on that thread.
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by objectivism)
There's nothing irrelavant about it. It shows that just because something is going to supposedly good ends does not mean that the process of getting that money is good. There's a difference.

A mugger is a mugger. What you are advocating is anarchy.

I wasn't asked. I dont use their state schools or state hospitals and i've stated how police etc could be funded without coercion on my thread 'is tax theft?'. If you still cant understand go and read my posts on that thread.
I understand perfectly. In my opinion you are selfish and don't consider others who are less fortunate than you. But it's your opinion, I respect that, just don't agree with it.
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by ayaan)
Hardly. student halls in first year, and private accomodation second.

according to all these student financial guides I've ben reading it costs on average 10,000 a year living in london - a £5,000 loan is £5,000 at least and minus part-time work i guess would be less but things can add up i suppose as 10,000 is pretty much an estimate.
£10,000 is an awfully large figure, i expect to spend just over £8,000, and thats only because i have gone for the more pricey accomodation.

If your friend is "poor", she should opt for cheaper accomodation! You can get accomodation in London for about £70p/w. Thats only £2,800 for the 40 weeks! Would she really need to plunge herself into a £5,000 shotfall? Are you sure she will need to spend an extra £2,200 a year on varius other things?
If you have no fees to pay, and a huge student loan of £5k, you can easily finance university in London.
objectivism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by inequality)
I understand perfectly. In my opinion you are selfish and don't consider others who are less fortunate than you. But it's your opinion, I respect that, just don't agree with it.

What wrong with selfishness? (though i think that belongs to a different thread)
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by inequality)
...at the end of the day we are all looking after our own interests. Lets not pretend all liberal left wingers are friendly people who don't mind parting with their assets.
You always want more, more, more from the tax payer. You are greedy, ungrateful and jealous.
Thats my opinion.
objectivism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can get accomodation in London for about £70p/w.

Perhaps in Hackney or in zone 5-6.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Perhaps in Hackney or in zone 5-6.
£70 accomodation is just as close as the accomodation i'll be staying in. There is no London accomodation in zones 5 and 6!
objectivism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
£70 accomodation is just as close as the accomodation i'll be staying in. There is no London accomodation in zones 5 and 6!

Places like Enfield and Harrow.

Where is your accommodation located?
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...at the end of the day we are all looking after our own interests. Lets not pretend all liberal left wingers are friendly people who don't mind parting with their assets.
You always want more, more, more from the tax payer. You are greedy, ungrateful and jealous.
Thats my opinion.
I'm middle class. I don't want more from the tax payer. I want more help for those less fortunate. I'm in about the same situation as you economically, from what you have said on this thread.
SaccerZD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I get EMA... £20 per week... I might not desperately need it (we're not extremely well off, but we're by no means living on the poverty line) and the system probably could be improved etc etc, but I'm trying not to spend all of the money (saving some for university), and it means I don't need a part time job (for the time being anyway) -
I know somebody who lives with his mother for 5 days a week, and gets £30 per week because of her low income, yet she has a very nice house... and his dad, who he lives with at weekends, who lives barely a few miles away and takes him to cricket almost every other day, and supports him with a LOT of money earns approx £40,000 in a managerial position. He doesn't need the money, and in my opinion probably shouldn't get it.

but I don't agree with what BEEKEEPER said here:

We need to sort priorities out, EMA's are not for family upkeep, they are supposed to be used to help with transport and materials.

It would make so much more sense to just hand out bus passes. Simple.
For those who genuinely do need EMA, and who wouldn't be able to afford to study without it, I believe that the principle of the EMA Scheme is to allow people like this to further their education, and their prospects as a result. From the promotional material and paraphernalia the EMA has sent me, it doesn't appear to dictate how or on what the money should be spent.

Paying for textbooks out of it, or giving £30 per week to your parents (who without this money, wouldn't be able to support you in your house - i.e. you'd have to get a job and quit full-time education) are both perfectly legitimate and suitable ways of spending the £30 - If it allows somebody who wants to learn to stay in education, then no matter how they spend it, they are doing the right thing.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

I got EMA when i was at college. Without it, would have had to leave sixth form and get a full time job. My mum is a single parent and is a student, my sister is younger so doesn't bring any money in. The money i got went into my university fund and paid for my travelcard. It also meant i bought more of my own things relieving the pressure on my mum. I'm doing a six year degree and working term time is very difficult. I also worked 15 hrs a week though, so i didn't use it as an excuse to do nothing and not turn up to college.

Now i'm at university my mum hasn't been able to help me financially at all so the money from the EMA has paid for books and the like.
objectivism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

I got EMA when i was at college. Without it, would have had to leave sixth form and get a full time job. My mum is a single parent and is a student, my sister is younger so doesn't bring any money in. The money i got went into my university fund and paid for my travelcard. It also meant i bought more of my own things relieving the pressure on my mum. I'm doing a six year degree and working term time is very difficult. I also worked 15 hrs a week though, so i didn't use it as an excuse to do nothing and not turn up to college.

Now i'm at university my mum hasn't been able to help me financially at all so the money from the EMA has paid for books and the like.

Your argument is basically the same as those of slave owners: it helps me, its my living, i woudn't be here today without it etc. Does that make slavery right, after all you are using the same logic.
melbourne
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
Its not a good thing and we should abolish it. The government is simply handing out money to teenagers so that they can buy a new X-box or Playstation, which of course is a total waste of money. If they really want to help poorer students, then they would spend this money on textbooks and free school trips.
Or baseball cap :cool:
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The phrase "non sequitur" springs to mind here...
melbourne
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by melbourne)
Or baseball cap :cool:
I just thought - people could think im a chav! I was being sarcastic lol
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your argument is basically the same as those of slave owners: it helps me, its my living, i woudn't be here today without it etc. Does that make slavery right, after all you are using the same logic.
Who is suffering in the long run by me getting EMA? I'm going to be working for the government for the rest of my life, i'll more than repay any money that has been given to me. Its not like i'm taking the money and sitting at home doing **** all. If i hadn't of had EMA i never would have gone to uni.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Showing an interest in where taxpayers money is going?

when i go to university this year, and when my sister goes in 2 years time, my parents are not going to be able to fund the whole cost, and i've worked out that my shortfall is going to be around £3,000 p/year, thats right, SHORTFALL. Do "poorer" students go to university with a £3,000 shortfall? Of course not, the government dips into tax payers money to spoon feed them.

THAT is why i am annoyed, when even more money is handed out to select groups of people, that serves no particular good. How do you know people aren't buying drugs with their educational maintenance handouts?
then what does it matter?wonder how many middle class parents dont know that dear little marietta is buying weed with her pocket money.you talk absolute rubbish and i dont like what you are inferring- and your not stupid, so dont make me say it.no they dont go with a shortfall; they go with bugger all, unlike lucky m.class students.the poor are in as much debt after uni as anyone else who goes- they dont pay tuition fees but they pay for everything else.and then because they went to uni, theyll get a good job, and theyll pay tax.tories need to try and at least pretend that they are not money- obssessed.why the **** do you care about other peoples money- mind your own business.as i have said before, taxes didnt rise to make way for ema, and govts distribution of our economy is not for us to decide once we've elected them.tough crap, and theyre not going to stop it for a loooong while so get used to it, and continue your own lil strugge.and the comment about whether we want more in unis- we may not want more, but we want more w.class than have preiviously gone- before, only middle class students went, and that IS NOT FAIR, and its a waste of talent, as we all know plenty of amazingly clever w.class people.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.15%
No - but I will (10)
4.72%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.6%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.53%

Watched Threads