Science and the Supernatural Watch

This discussion is closed.
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm fed up of doing political threads, so I though I would do a more sensible one, that everyone can have a go at answering without having to have huge amounts of knowledge.

Ghosts, or their equivalent, crop up everywhere, and throughout the whole of history. Many people claim to have seen ghosts, or claim to get unpleasant feelings in certain places. I have experienced the latter. So surely there is something behind this. It can't all be made up.

Explaining the paranormal scientifically has yet to be achieved, but here are some sources relating to this:

An experiment conducted in Edinburgh castle:
http://farshores.org/pghoshu2.htm

A sceptic's opinion on why there is no evidence for ghosts:
http://www.parascience.org.uk/misc/method/evidence.htm

An article on the methods of proving the existence of ghosts:
http://www.angelfire.com/psy/parapsychology/gande.html

I would class myself as a scientist rather than an out and out believer in the paranormal, but I don't think that the phenomenon of ghosts should be ingored. Maybe the explanation is psychological, that ghosts only exist in the imagination. Maybe they exist as actual creatures, or maybe the explanation is too complicated to be described my modern science.

What do you think? I'm not so much interested in 'do you believe or not', I'm more interested in your opinions on how people's experiences could be interpreted or explained, and it's relevance to science.
rachaelmarie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
One of my friends is really into things like this.

I think sometimes they are a representation of what we want to see. I seem to remember him saying that you see things in time of stress or breavement.
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure myself, but I think I probably do believe in the spiritual world and the afterlife.
October Project
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I find it very hard to take ghosts and the like seriously. There's usually a simple explanation for it all, and if there isn't, it's just that one hasn't been found yet. Plus there's the chance of the sighting or whatever being a hoax. Technology and whatnot nowadays makes it very easy, and there are those who want to see such things, whether it be for religious reasons, or they just want to see proof of the supernatural that just isn't there.
Brown Eyed Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i believe in ghosts. cause other wise how could my dad of found out a girl was hanged in my bedroom in my old house when only 2 people in the town new.

when we had moved there for about 3 days.

i've seen ghosts. but as for them being explained scientificaly all i have noticed is that they can't explain orbs. (the lil white glowy things) they can't explain dodgey temp drops were there is no reason for one. and they can't explain what happens after we die....

if you can't explain what happens after we die who is today there is no such thing?

i quite simply think it can't be explained because it would destroy us really... imagine if every one realisticaly and for sure new what happened after death... not just there beliefs... but if scienced prooved it. the whole what is the meaning of life question that spurs so many people on will die. you know what happens next so whats the point in trying now.

we don't know cause were not supposed to know

my opinion any how

::waits to get torn to shreds::
RK
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe that I may have seen some thing which can be described as a ghost, however I'm not quite sure how to expalin what 'ghosts' are or what 'supernatural' experiences are.

I do however have several ideas, none of which can be really tested as yet...below are some which take the position that the 'ghosts' are real.

Firstly, they could be creatures partly or wholely in an afterlife. I believe this might be possible, but I'd imagine others, certainly those who do not believe in any sort of God or higher being would not.

Another thing could be creature in another universe. I believe the current ideas in physics play around a fair amount with the universe being a multi-vers. Mnay many different univereses all together forming a greater mass of 'bubbles', where people in one can normally only see one universe. Maybe a ghost is something trying to move between two universes or is something to do with a 'close' point between two universes.

Another idea comes from thinking about the universe as a multi dimensional place. Current scientific thinking currently says there are many more dimensions than the 3 spacial and one time ones which we experience on an everyday basis. The others are often described as being 'curled' up.

Maybe ghosts are creatures who live in these curled up dimensions who are trying to view the ones we can see or maybe the ghosts are using the curled up dimensions to travel around space or time.
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
i believe in ghosts. cause other wise how could my dad of found out a girl was hanged in my bedroom in my old house when only 2 people in the town new.

when we had moved there for about 3 days.

i've seen ghosts. but as for them being explained scientificaly all i have noticed is that they can't explain orbs. (the lil white glowy things) they can't explain dodgey temp drops were there is no reason for one. and they can't explain what happens after we die....

if you can't explain what happens after we die who is today there is no such thing?

i quite simply think it can't be explained because it would destroy us really... imagine if every one realisticaly and for sure new what happened after death... not just there beliefs... but if scienced prooved it. the whole what is the meaning of life question that spurs so many people on will die. you know what happens next so whats the point in trying now.

we don't know cause were not supposed to know

my opinion any how

::waits to get torn to shreds::
Why would you be torn to shreds? I think that that's an extremely intelligent point. But will that 'meaning of life' question die out eventually as the human race becomes more intelligent and understanding? Or if we are not supposed to know, will there be a limit to human achievement?
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if say heaven was prooved as what happened after life (not what i believe but still) and hell. then people would just do what they are told and spend there lifes waiting to get to heaven. and not take the time they have on earth the way it should be. they will just go along the ways of thinking... when i finaly die i'll get to heaven.

reincarnation... what the hell doesn't matter what i do i will get punished for it say in my next life but who cares cause i'm not going to remember it.

if we work out what happens after death then the meaning of life doesn't matter really cause we know what happens next in a sad way of putting it. say your playing a game
your on level 1. you know that because a friend has told you that on level two you get the mega super bonus. that will be better than any bonus on level one. then you rush throught level one not looking around for all of the little bonus's in order to get to this big bonus on level two

game way of looking at it makes it a little depressing but i think it point out what i mean.

most of my arguement usualy arn't liked for people... not a clue why.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think a good idea would be to 'catch part of a ghost' into a vacuum, and to determine any abnormalities in comparison to a control. As stated in the 3rd link, each ghost would require energy... but what would happen to the air if the energy used to manifest was sealed in a vacuum? The Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be lost or made, so the energy will be 'sealed in the vacuum'. Any high energy levels in comparison to the control will suggest 'ghosts'! :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads