Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ideas about what will come up on the Language Change paper on the 27th? Its so hard to revise as there is sooo much to do!
    Hows everyones revision goin?
    Helen xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen :))
    Does anyone have any ideas about what will come up on the Language Change paper on the 27th? Its so hard to revise as there is sooo much to do!
    Hows everyones revision goin?
    Helen xxx

r u doing AQA spec A??

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this souds bad but..... AQA yes, spec A? not sure! its about Child Language and Language acquistion. (Has editorial writing in!)
    Good question thou! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this souds bad but..... AQA yes, spec A? not sure! its about Child Language and Language acquistion. (Has editorial writing in!)
    Good question thou! xxx
    was it?? i'm doing spec A but not about child language so i dnt think im doing the same as u!

ReputationRep:
    No, its spec B, thats what I'm doing. Have you got A2 English for AQA B? ot Revision Express

I've been told you need a historical outline of major events which effect english, eg printing, grammarians, and reasons for this standardisation, etc, then just be able to apply it. So notice all the aspects lexical, semantic, graphological, orthographical, pragmatics, phonology (from ryhme,)

Also its good to know some of the dialect studies from last year, Labov, Cheshire etc.

Has anyone got anything to add. This is in place of a synoptic unit so you need some names and theories but not in great depth. Application is more important.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rachael,
    so how much depth are you going into when you revise for the exam? i mean it really is endless! i really dont know alot about william shakespeare's influence!
    Helen xxx
    :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to know about each and every influence on the English Language since forever..... an overview of prescriptivism, dictionaries and standardisation i.e Johnson and Webster. Such attitudes to gender, Baker and Freebody particularly for the language acquisition.... There is a lot come to think of it, but a general overview will be fine in relation to analysing the texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domjohn)
    You don't need to know about each and every influence on the English Language since forever..... an overview of prescriptivism, dictionaries and standardisation i.e Johnson and Webster. Such attitudes to gender, Baker and Freebody particularly for the language acquisition.... There is a lot come to think of it, but a general overview will be fine in relation to analysing the texts.
    Baker and Freebody?????????

ReputationRep:
    Baker and Freebody?????????
    I don't know who they are either.

Its a synoptic module so most of the emphasis is on how you apply the frameworks from last year to the data. As long as you analyse the texts using all the right buzzwords that's normally alright...obviously bringing in contextual factors is good too but a lot of that is common sense (talking about the relationships between the speakers etc).

I have hardly any notes on this module and I'm just hoping I can blag it! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    I don't know who they are either.

Its a synoptic module so most of the emphasis is on how you apply the frameworks from last year to the data. As long as you analyse the texts using all the right buzzwords that's normally alright...obviously bringing in contextual factors is good too but a lot of that is common sense (talking about the relationships between the speakers etc).

I have hardly any notes on this module and I'm just hoping I can blag it! :eek:
    mmm, this is the exam I'm most worried about, I don't really have many notes on it and every practice I've done has been a bit halfarsed and well, rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Baker and Freebody (1984)- studies into the gender stereotypes with children, to put it simply....

Boys= naughty and aggressive

Girls= pretty and good

This was a relevant study to the child acquisition question last year i think with the playgroup... not the most important study in the world, but it could be relevant!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the one with Language Change and stuff.

On the analysis, you have to include an archaism, and on the other question, change over time I think is the easiest one coz you can just go off on a rant about The Beatles and Pirate Radio and stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    Pardon?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure, I think I was taken in the moment or something!

We just got told to write about social influences on the English Language over the past 50 years!

ReputationRep:
    I see, well this would be relevant for a 50 year old text, but not a 150 year old one so much.... The important thing is word formation etc. with these kinds of language change texts i.e. clippings, compunds, blends, affixation etc... and the influence technology and social changes have had on the language.

ReputationRep:
    I have learnt about the future of english in class but do you think we really need to know about it? i mean we arent going to get a whole quetion on the future of english are we?
    Also hows everyone going on the dictionary stuff? im tinking about missing it out, theres so many dictionaries and views on it! i can just pick the other question! Would any1 advise me to do differently??

ps... freedom after this exam!!!

ReputationRep:
    There won't be anything on the future of language... it's a language change exam!

As for the dictionaries, I would concentrate on the important ones, but there are other things such as the introduction of the printing press etc. that are similarly important.

ReputationRep:
    woah, y isnt anyone talking about child acqustition!

what question will come up?
    Theres childrens writing
    Childrens early speaking
    Childrens early reading
    Children learning (phonics and all that stuff)
    Caretaker language

helpp

ReputationRep:
    that sounds good to me! anything else will have to be dealt with on the day i think

ReputationRep:
    I hope the language change one is a striaghtforward comparison between adverts. Rather than attitudes to language change ot the dredded txt msgs.

For language acquisition, who knows, i think i'd rather have a transcript so i can talk about sentence functions and nouns etc.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.