Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We did a huuuge amount on Acquisition this year, and it's not even on our syllabus except as a possible topic for the Synoptic exam and part of Unit 1!

Language Change is the only bit I can really revise for, and that's mainly saying the changes in society affect the language

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else panicking about this exam? I don't have a lot of notes and I just don't really seem to have been taught a lot... hmmm. Also can anyone give me a definition of prescriptivism??!

ReputationRep:
    prescriptivism is a very strict adherance to the rules of grammarians. They think language changing such as loosening of grammatical rules about punction and syntax equals decay.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else panicking about this exam? I don't have a lot of notes and I just don't really seem to have been taught a lot... hmmm.
    SO SIMILAR!

My teachers weren't overly good, the subject is SOOO wooly, and (after removing all the junk) my file has 20 pages to revise from!

In practice essays I range from an A to a D and half the time it's just babbled ***** I hope will get me somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    SO SIMILAR!

My teachers weren't overly good, the subject is SOOO wooly, and (after removing all the junk) my file has 20 pages to revise from!

In practice essays I range from an A to a D and half the time it's just babbled ***** I hope will get me somewhere!
    I've got something more like 10 pages, and alot of that is just pages with 3 lines written or masses of doodles. It's partly my fault, but the teacher rarely taught us anything, just chatted with the class for 40 minutes, then scribbled a few notes for 10 if we were lucky. I am really dreading this exam most of all because I know NOTHING except dictionaries were invented and so was the printing press. I have no idea about those invasions or the significance in spelling changes over the years. Twinned with this and the editorial writing, I don't think I'll be doing very well this year.

ReputationRep:
    Good link below for basic's of lang change

http://www.wordorigins.org/histeng.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I'll look over it this weekend after this editorial writing's over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with English teachers!, my file is also thn and we spent most of the time talking (or was that just me!). For language change I think it's best to just get stuck into the language as you did last year in language and society then relate it change. For child dev learn learn theorists Zygotsky, skinner, (some pretty hard but good stuff in attachment) or try and find some child dev books in school/local librairy. Apart from that get stuck in to what they are saying/writing, mistakes, elision, tenses, verb types, spelling and try and equat for them (depending on question!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I hope the language change one is a striaghtforward comparison between adverts. Rather than attitudes to language change ot the dredded txt msgs.

For language acquisition, who knows, i think i'd rather have a transcript so i can talk about sentence functions and nouns etc.
    I thought lang. aquisition is always a transcript?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    It can be about speaking, reading or writing. Transcripts would be about speaking, reading would be a children's book to comment on techniques employed to help children further their language abilities, and writing would be something a child has written. I don't think they've done written for a while, my teacher says she has a feeling that might come up this year.

ReputationRep:
    We did quite abit of work and the teachers were fairly good- but i dont seem to have learnt anything at all. All we ever really did was Analyse text- and that can range from an A grade to an E, depending on the subject and my mood.

We're all gonna fail lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, oh well we can't all fail, if we do they lower the grade boundries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    prescriptivism is a very strict adherance to the rules of grammarians. They think language changing such as loosening of grammatical rules about punction and syntax equals decay.
    DO NOT SPLIT AN INFINITIVE

DO NOT END A SENTENCE WITH A PREPOSITION!

I think we all know that famous comment by Winston Churchill:
    "From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which i will not put"

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'll be revising Change and Variety tonight for tomorrows exam... and focussing on male/female interaction and political correctness for u6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    I'll be revising Change and Variety tonight for tomorrows exam... and focussing on male/female interaction and political correctness for u6.
    Are you doing AQA A then? :confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.