Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean when companies have a phone number that is a mixture of numbers and letters, for instance on the Apple website where you order ipods and stuff it says 'call 1-800-MY-APPLE to order'

What the hell? is it some sort of code or something, because I don't understand it at all and it's really annoying :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    What does it mean when companies have a phone number that is a mixture of numbers and letters, for instance on the Apple website where you order ipods and stuff it says 'call 1-800-MY-APPLE to order'

What the hell? is it some sort of code or something, because I don't understand it at all and it's really annoying :mad:
    i thought you typed the letters in like a text message...

so M would mean you press 6 (As 6 on the phone is MNO)

and L would be 555

but i dont know :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Some phones have letters, like ABC for 1, and DEF for number 2. Abit like in a mobile. Although I dont understand it completely, I know it the UK they dont have numbers like that.

ReputationRep:
    its a USA number basically, try searching for a UK or European 1. whats it for anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    whats it for anyway?

nothing, i was just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    its the americans instead of remembering numbers they remember stupid words

ReputationRep:
    we use it in kids programs

i remember from when i used to watch cbbc as a kid... number were like 0800 call cbbc or something

1-800-MY-APPLE

translates as 1-800-69-27753

its basicaly the number which has the letter on it.
    but you only press it once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    we use it in kids programs

i remember from when i used to watch cbbc as a kid... number were like 0800 call cbbc or something

1-800-MY-APPLE

translates as 1-800-69-27753

its basicaly the number which has the letter on it.
    but you only press it once

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ok.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ok.

Thanks
    yeah te weird kids programs my parents forced me to endure as a child have finaly cause me to help some one! lmao

ReputationRep:
    1-800-MY-APPLE would therefore equal 1-800-69-27753
    M = 6
    Y = 9
    A = 2
    P = 7
    P = 7
    L = 5
    E = 3

We did used to have it over here in the uk, i remember CBBC when i was little, if you wanted to ring up and enter a competion it was sumthing like 0845 CBBC COMP or sumin like that, but they've stopped it now a it confuses people lol

ReputationRep:
    its still used here like

0800 reverse

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.