Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will the jailed NLD leader Aung San Suu Kyi become the next Mandela and lead her country to freedom?

Also, should the EU place sanctions on Burma or would such sanctions end up hurting the ordinary people rather than the regime?

ReputationRep:
    My family comes from Burma, so I feel connected I guess. I really hope Aung San Suu Kyi becomes the next leader and change Burma for at the moment it's becoming quite a dangerous place to live and visit.

I went there to see my dad a several years ago, when I was 12/13 - I think - and it was good, a peaceful place although some areas being violent. Now though, my uncles say that it's become a lot more dangerous, security's being pumped up and orindary people are living in some kinda fear or containment in some places. I hope the place improves in the coming years, I'd really love to go back and visit again.

Not so sure about the EU placing sanctions on Burma, though it is an option.

ReputationRep:
    US and French companies need to stop building pipelines there. The government uses slave Labour and tourist companies do not give a damn. It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    Will the jailed NLD leader Aung San Suu Kyi become the next Mandela and lead her country to freedom?

Also, should the EU place sanctions on Burma or would such sanctions end up hurting the ordinary people rather than the regime?
    There is very little trade between the EU and Burma. Placing sanctions is not going to make a difference. The only countries that are capable of toppling the Burmese regime are its neighbors. The second that Thailand stops supporting Burma is the day Aung San Suu Kyi becomes President.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of European firms have invested in Burma which is helping to prop up the regime - not saying id neccesasrily agree, just that EU sanctions on Burma would lose the govt. there a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of European firms have invested in Burma which is helping to prop up the regime - not saying id neccesasrily agree, just that EU sanctions on Burma would lose the govt. there a lot of money.
    Take a close look at Burma's trading partners

ReputationRep:
    i no that lots of trade with neighbours but there is also a significant minority done with EU and companies within it, esp french oil companies.

ReputationRep:
    i no that lots of trade with neighbours but there is also a significant minority done with EU and companies within it, esp french oil companies.
    Burma produces 17,000 barrels of oil per day. Saudi Arabia produces 10 million. Burma imports most of its oil. There is no Burmese oil industry to speak of.

If you looked at Burma's trading partners, you'd see than an overwhelming majority of Burmese trade is with Thailand, followed by China, India, and Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    Bismark,. read Hidden Agendas by John Pilger and you'll see how US and French companies use slave labour in Burma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Bismark,. read Hidden Agendas by John Pilger and you'll see how US and French companies use slave labour in Burma.
    Which percentage of Burma's economy do these factories make up? America and France are responsible for less than 4% of Burma's exports.

So why aren't you condemning Thailand, India, and China for supporting the dictatorship in Burma and "exploiting" Burma's economy?

ReputationRep:
    Because America and France claim to be model democracies with a moral authority to make peoples lives better. They criticise Saddam while using child labour.

And I do criticise russia china etc when they are the perpetrators elsewhere like Iran. And I was not shouting Vive La France along with some other antiwar protestors when they opposed the war for their own selfish reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Because America and France claim to be model democracies with a moral authority to make peoples lives better. They criticise Saddam while using child labour.

And I do criticise russia china etc when they are the perpetrators elsewhere like Iran. And I was not shouting Vive La France along with some other antiwar protestors when they opposed the war for their own selfish reasons.
    The American government uses child labor? Really?

So why are you criticizing America when it's not even a major trading partner of Burma?

ReputationRep:
    The American government uses child labor? Really?
    US companies do

So why are you criticizing America when it's not even a major trading partner of Burma?
    If one company represents 100% of a countries investment in another country, and that 100% is only .1% of the total global investment, it still deserves to be criticised. Especially when it preaches peace and democracy with the bullet.

ReputationRep:
    US companies do
    The American government does not decide laws of other countries. The only way it can prevent American companies from participating in Burma's economy is to declare a trade embargo. Is that what you want the US government to do?

If one company represents 100% of a countries investment in another country, and that 100% is only .1% of the total global investment, it still deserves to be criticised. Especially when it preaches peace and democracy with the bullet.
    I'm still waiting for you to criticize Burma's major trading partners.

ReputationRep:
    The American government does not decide laws of other countries.
    Then why criticise Saddam for his human rights abuses?

I criticise them right here, right now, and I believe I did so before.

I criticise Russia and China for trading with Iran

I criticised them for trading with Iraq.

I am not subjective, but these countries hardly claim to be bastions of democracy and human rights do they?

ReputationRep:
    Then why criticise Saddam for his human rights abuses?

I criticise them right here, right now, and I believe I did so before.

I criticise Russia and China for trading with Iran

I criticised them for trading with Iraq.

I am not subjective, but these countries hardly claim to be bastions of democracy and human rights do they?
    And America criticizes Burma. That doesn't mean that it can force Burma to change its laws (unless you're calling for a war, are you?). The only way to prevent American companies from going into Burma is to enact a trade embargo. Would you support it?

ReputationRep:
    Let's just bomb them. It would be fun.

I think that maybe sanctions should be imposed after reading quite a bit about the subject yesterday and I get the impression that the mandate for sanctions actually comes from within Burma as people like Aung San Suu Kyi herself have been calling for them. Anyway you always have to affect some people in a negative way to have a greater positive effect. I was reading this yesterday and it was quite interesting The Dirty List

ReputationRep:
    The only way to prevent American companies from going into Burma is to enact a trade embargo. Would you support it?
    Targeted sanctions would be appropriate.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that child labour is illegal under international law. Then again, hasn't always been a top US point of reference.

ReputationRep:
    Targeted sanctions would be appropriate.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that child labour is illegal under international law. Then again, hasn't always been a top US point of reference.
    Targetted sanctions are already in place. Do you want the US to enact a complete trade embargo against Burma or not?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.