Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that lots (well most actually) people here seem to have taken far more GCSEs than I took at Secondary School. Some appear to have almost double my amount! My school allowed every pupil, regardless of ability, to take 9 GCSEs, and that was it. No taking GCSEs early if you were clever, or taking extra subjects on top of the usual. I ended up only being able to take 8 in the end because I had to do a technology and as I was/am so rubbish with my hands I was forced into ICT, and my school didn't offer a GCSE in ICT. Only a lousy GNVQ was available to me. So I got a Distinction in that last year, and 7 A*s and 1 A (Maths, bleh), but I can't help thinking that I'm far more stupid than people who took more GCSEs and got similar, if not better grades because I didn't have the same workload.

Has anyone else been in this position? Do you think the number of qualifications is important?
    Do you think it has impeded your future performance? I think maybe the reason I haven't been able to cope with 5 AS levels this year is because I'm not used to the workload people from other schools at my college have dealt with. I rarely had homework throughout Secondary school!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the number is important but still it's an advantage if your clever and get good in all of them - everyone things people these days are so pressurised and I can see where they are coming from - I don't really come under pressure at all and i'm fine with the amount im taking

ReputationRep:
    It's better that you got good grades in just 8 subjects than getting somewhat average grades in 11/12 GCSEs. And one other thing... you think you're stupid for getting 7A*s and 1A?! Well if you're stupid, then I have no clue what the hell I am...

Also, you said you're struggling with 5 A Levels... I'm definately no expert, but isn't it the norm to take just 4?! My school and all schools in my area take 4 (except a few who take further maths outside of school). Heck, some people in my school only take 3! I think you're worrying alot, as you seem smart enough to get through these qualifications with top grades, and after all, its quality over quantity, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    I've noticed that lots (well most actually) people here seem to have taken far more GCSEs than I took at Secondary School. Some appear to have almost double my amount! My school allowed every pupil, regardless of ability, to take 9 GCSEs, and that was it. No taking GCSEs early if you were clever, or taking extra subjects on top of the usual. I ended up only being able to take 8 in the end because I had to do a technology and as I was/am so rubbish with my hands I was forced into ICT, and my school didn't offer a GCSE in ICT. Only a lousy GNVQ was available to me. So I got a Distinction in that last year, and 7 A*s and 1 A (Maths, bleh), but I can't help thinking that I'm far more stupid than people who took more GCSEs and got similar, if not better grades because I didn't have the same workload.

Has anyone else been in this position? Do you think the number of qualifications is important?
    Do you think it has impeded your future performance? I think maybe the reason I haven't been able to cope with 5 AS levels this year is because I'm not used to the workload people from other schools at my college have dealt with. I rarely had homework throughout Secondary school!
    I only took 9 GCSEs and a GNVQ. My school forces everyone to do GNVQ IT, just so the local paper can say that everyone has '13 GCSEs or equivalent. :rolleyes: My results are exactly the same as yours except for my one extra subject (and what use is graphics anyway!) and I got six offers from good unis. Your grades are what is important and your grades are excellent so you have nothing to worry about, just make sure your PS is good.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, by 5 I meant including General Studies. I only do 4 "proper" ones, and I wouldn't even say they have reputations for being hard (my friends say that I take all doss subjects) even if I struggle with them. I do English Literature, Philosophy, Media Studies and Geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    I only took 9 GCSEs and a GNVQ. My school forces everyone to do GNVQ IT, just so the local paper can say that everyone has '13 GCSEs or equivalent. :rolleyes: My results are exactly the same as yours except for my one extra subject (and what use is graphics anyway!) and I got six offers from good unis. Your grades are what is important and your grades are excellent so you have nothing to worry about, just make sure your PS is good.
    Haha, my old school makes people do GNVQs for the same reason, except so they can say 47% of people have 5 A to Cs.

ReputationRep:
    The number of qualifications you have is not that important as long as you have GCSE maths and english, and 2-3 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Haha, my old school makes people do GNVQs for the same reason, except so they can say 47% of people have 5 A to Cs.
    Lol, at my school it's 46% and almost everyone does GNVQ ICT. I foolishly let my teacher talk me into doing the AVCE instead, but that's another story. Anyway a Distinction in a GNVQ is the equivalent of 4 As at GCSE, so really you have 7 A*s and 5 As. That's more than most people take. I only have 9.5, but grades are more important than the number anyway and yours are brilliant. Not everyone has the chance to do GCSEs early or extra GCSEs outside of school etc and universities recognise that. Nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    Ug I've ahd to do the GNVQ its so pointless and infuriating! We didnt even have lessons - we had to do it all in our spare time!

If I pass all my GCSE's I should get 9. Most people at my school do 10 + GNVQ. I had to give up 1 GCSE through absence and I think I'm going to fail the GNVQ pathetically!

But at the end of the day you got all A*s! I'm not even going to get 1 A*! Maybe not an A! (I didnt go to school in year 10 tho! lol) I think its a mix of grades and amount - but really all universities and colleges need as an entry requirement are 5 GCSE passes and grades C in the related subjects to your course. So I'm sure you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    There is more to a career than just grades... All that is needed for a university course is usually good grades in 2-4 A-levels and 5 A-C's in GCSE.

To anyone who hasn't got 10 A*'s, but have passed, dont feel inferior to those who did get 10 A*'s, after all the majority of jobs rely on your own personal skills, such as a Theraputic profession requires a friendly, and very open natured person (could you have seen Einstien in this profession?!). Grades are important to show how smart you are, yes, but it also makes you more confident with yourself, and helps you better develop if you strive hard and reach for the stars.

Lol, just felt like saying that, ignore it if you must.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    There is more to a career than just grades... All that is needed for a university course is usually good grades in 2-4 A-levels and 5 A-C's in GCSE.

To anyone who hasn't got 10 A*'s, but have passed, dont feel inferior to those who did get 10 A*'s, after all the majority of jobs rely on your own personal skills, such as a Theraputic profession requires a friendly, and very open natured person (could you have seen Einstien in this profession?!). Grades are important to show how smart you are, yes, but it also makes you more confident with yourself, and helps you better develop if you strive hard and reach for the stars.

Lol, just felt like saying that, ignore it if you must.... :rolleyes:

Well said!

ReputationRep:
    Quality > Quantity

ReputationRep:
    Besides, 7A*s and 1A is a very commendable achievement!
    In my country, we do the O-Levels which are sort of like the equivalent of the GCSEs and i've only gotten 3 A1s, 4 A2s, 1 C5 and 1 D7 (higher chinese bleagh)! (which should be equivalent to about 3A*s and 4As? In which case I'm such a dumbass. )

There are people though who get 10A1s in my school, I know quite a few of them. All I can say is "wow".

I'm doing 4 A-Levels now in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics!

ReputationRep:
    It's quality over quantity. You had to do 9, in my school some of us did 10 while others did less. It doesn't really make much difference.

I wish I was more aware back then though. I might have tried doing some extra gcse's myself.. like on here I read there is astronomy gcse's and stuff like that which sounds great! Bleh.

ReputationRep:
    in my school 11 1/2 is maximum and i think some people only take about 3

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.