Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy history and am going to do it for A-level - the only problem is i am not sure what combination of subjects would be good with it and what you can do afterwards. Does anybody currently do history or know or what you can do with it in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Any subjects. I'm doing bio, chem, English lit and history. Lots of courses aren't too specific in which A levels you have as long as they're academic and at a good grade. I suppose good matching subjects (if it really matters) are English, politics, economics, law etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking History along with French, German, Geography and Maths next year. I think History is one of those subjects that's pretty accessible: it goes with anything. As it's essay based, it might be a nice change from "sciencey" subjects or, if you like to write essays, it might fit nicely with English, govt & politics, etc.

From Oxford's web site: "A history degree equips students with a set of transferable skills applicable to many careers, which have enabled generations of Oxford historians to excel in a wide range of careers such as the law, investment banking and consultancies, advertising, accountancy, the civil service, publishing, journalism and the media, global charity work, museums, librarianship and archive work and teaching."

According to the Guardian, Oxford is at the top of its rankings for History/History of Art so I randomly selected one a little further down to see what they say about their graduates.

From Hull's web site: "History graduates are prepared for many career paths, including advertising, archive work, art galleries and museums, banking, broadcasting, the civil service, journalism, librarianship, management and teaching. They can also undertake postgraduate study."

To a certain extent, your degree is what you make of it. I would imagine the better its classifcation, the more options you'll have open to you.

ReputationRep:
    Subjects like English lit, politics, sociology and languages go well with history, but really your A-level choices aren't too important unless the degree you want to do has specific requirements. The most important thing is whether you actually enjoy the subjects. History is respected by all universities as a traditional academic subject, so you could do pretty much anything with it.

ReputationRep:
    History is an essay based subject and goes with everything. As for instance it would go perfectly with other sciences and if u want to study medicine you will be able to demonstrate ur writing skills as well apart from only scientific skills.

ReputationRep:
    i thought a level sciences, especially biology, would be based on writing essays.
    but go for it if you want to put up with 2 more years of nazi germany stuff :p: our school don't teach us anything apart from that i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigmy Goat)
    I really enjoy history and am going to do it for A-level - the only problem is i am not sure what combination of subjects would be good with it and what you can do afterwards. Does anybody currently do history or know or what you can do with it in the future?
    The subjects in your signature is a good combination for A-level history. You could be a teacher/lecturer about history. Here are some jobs that you can go look at that are related to history (click on the letter 'h'): http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...1bbe5a$A1u$A4$

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this as well, I'm very interested in History and want to get a job in it the future. I decided to take A-Levels in History (obviously :p: ) , English Lit, Sociology and Psychology AS. My school's rubbish and only offers 3 A levels and an AS. Psh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    I was wondering this as well, I'm very interested in History and want to get a job in it the future. I decided to take A-Levels in History (obviously :p: ) , English Lit, Sociology and Psychology AS. My school's rubbish and only offers 3 A levels and an AS. Psh.
    Lol. That's a nice combination there though. Last year I took History, Art, English Lit and Sociology (&GS) at AS. What do you plan to do with History in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Subjects like English lit, politics, sociology and languages go well with history, but really your A-level choices aren't too important unless the degree you want to do has specific requirements. The most important thing is whether you actually enjoy the subjects. History is respected by all universities as a traditional academic subject, so you could do pretty much anything with it.
    That's good advice. *seconds it* basically, go for what you like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    i thought a level sciences, especially biology, would be based on writing essays.
    but go for it if you want to put up with 2 more years of nazi germany stuff :p: our school don't teach us anything apart from that i think
    LOL that sounds exactly like my school! A2 will be my 4th year in a row of studying, you guessed it, Nazi Germany! :party:

By the way, why do you *have* to do the A-levels you mention in your signature?

ReputationRep:
    lol, i would so much prefer to learn about the cold war...more like frozen

By the way, why do you *have* to do the A-levels you mention in your signature?
    my parents want me to do medicine lol, but i think i've got over it actually as i can always do art and music outside school, or i can fail all my sciences and show them how unsciency i am though i only have physics left

ReputationRep:
    So you're letting your parents decide your life for you?

ReputationRep:
    Once I pass my A-Levels (haha, hopefully anyway), I want to apply to Cambridge, and if I don't get in there I'll look for a London college. Once I've done that I either want to keep studying and eventually work my way upto a Phd, teach history or research and write about it. Keeping my options open :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanx everyone

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.