Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help needed in solving this Question!!

Rep will be given!! Thanx for Help!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone do this question?

ReputationRep:
    Can do this sequence question???/ REALLY in DESPERATE NEED OF HELP!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I can't help much here as I can barely read most of it.

Anyway for part a) you need to substitute the values of 1 and 2 into the funtion, one should be positive and one should be negative. This indicates the root is between 1 and 2.

For part b) simply substitute in the value of x1 into the iterative function and it will produce the value of x2 do this again for x3 and so on.

ReputationRep:
    well part (c) says this :

By considering the change of sign of f(x) in a suitable interval. verify that your answer to part (b) is correct to 3dp (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve8052)
    well part (c) says this :

By considering the change of sign of f(x) in a suitable interval. verify that your answer to part (b) is correct to 3dp (2 marks)
    Ok, what they want you to do is use the same method as part a) to show that your answer to part b) is correct.

So if your answer for x4 was for example purposes only, 1.436 then substitute in the values 1.4355 and 1.4365 into the original function f(x) and you should see a sign change.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    its like this, there is a theory that for if f(a) > 0 and f(b) <0 then a root of f(x) lies between a and b. I can't remember what it is called but use that and solve the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himurakenshin)
    its like this, there is a theory that for if f(a) > 0 and f(b) <0 then a root of f(x) lies between a and b. I can't remember what it is called but use that and solve the question
    Sign change method.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys REP for ALL!! hehe but in days time!!! ive alredy given rep 2day!

ReputationRep:
    For part (b),
    x0=1.5
    and i found that x1=1.387, x2=1.396, x3=1.395, x4=1.395.

The questions asks me to find values for x1, x2, x3 and x4 and find an approximation for the root. I only got 1 mrk out of 4 here. Does anyone know where I went wrong and lost the other 3 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve8052)
    For part (b),
    x0=1.5
    and i found that x1=1.387, x2=1.396, x3=1.395, x4=1.395.

The questions asks me to find values for x1, x2, x3 and x4 and find an approximation for the root. I only got 1 mrk out of 4 here. Does anyone know where I went wrong and lost the other 3 marks?
    I'm guessing you must of done the calculations wrong and come up with the wrong values of xn+1. I'd also suggest using a few more d.p. than 3 as that is what the final answer will be in.

By the way each value (i.e. x1, x2 etc) are all approximations of the root and they gain accuracy as they progress. So that x4 would be your final answer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.