Turn on thread page Beta

The most over subscribed uni course? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Could be a problem then - my predicted grades are ABB Why didnt I try to get that B moved up to A in maths....
    I'll have my fingers crossed for you Riz! You've applied for Psych too right? I'm planning on making Nott my firm choice. If you decide to go there then we might see each other, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yep where else have you applied. Warwick/Nottingham were my first choices and I haven't heard back from either of them yet, Other than that I like Lancatser and Birmingham. Maybe they will like my person statement...it does say ABB in the prospectus...ah well you can only try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Yep where else have you applied. Warwick/Nottingham were my first choices and I haven't heard back from either of them yet, Other than that I like Lancatser and Birmingham. Maybe they will like my person statement...it does say ABB in the prospectus...ah well you can only try
    I've gotten offers from York, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, and Durham. Still waiting for St. Andrews, and i've been rejected by Oxford but I don't give a hoot hoot, lol. Just applied for the hell of it. Haha.

If it says ABB on the prospectus then you have no worries then

ReputationRep:
    the only thing is that those figures are people that eventually went to the uni. All uni's gives out loads more offers than they can take because they know they are just 1 uni out of the 6 that a candidate has applied for. The have to account for the fact that their offer won't necessarily be a candidates first choice and they expect that some people won't make the grade. This is probably especially true for somewhere like Nott because of it's location. Many people, even if they don't necessarily want to go there will apply as one of the 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    the only thing is that those figures are people that eventually went to the uni. All uni's gives out loads more offers than they can take because they know they are just 1 uni out of the 6 that a candidate has applied for. The have to account for the fact that their offer won't necessarily be a candidates first choice and they expect that some people won't make the grade. This is probably especially true for somewhere like Nott because of it's location. Many people, even if they don't necessarily want to go there will apply as one of the 6.
    That is true because of my original example of history at Bristol (1826 applicants for 72 places), they do offer places to 410 people. Looking at other courses they seem to offer one place to about five or six people. That cheered me up because 5:1 is alot better than 25:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neogandalf)
    History at Bristol has 1826 applicants for 72 places
    Remember such figures are deceptively high. It doesn't mean 1826 applicants are fiercely competing for 72 places, it means 1826 applicants put Bristol down as one of their 6 choices, and many wouldn't accept an offer if they were given one over other unis. So Bristol won't give out 72 offers, they'll give out maybe 200-300 acknowledging that many won't take up the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Remember such figures are deceptively high. It doesn't mean 1826 applicants are fiercely competing for 72 places, it means 1826 applicants put Bristol down as one of their 6 choices, and many wouldn't accept an offer if they were given one over other unis. So Bristol won't give out 72 offers, they'll give out maybe 200-300 acknowledging that many won't take up the offer.
    Stil high competition though
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Stil high competition though
    Yup it beats our nursing course which gets only 1.1 application per place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I think Jools has it spot on. Basically, the only reason these people apply to Nottingham, Bristol etc etc, is because they are Oxbridge rejects. These universities are just showing off.

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, I think the most oversubscribed courses are in Veterinary Surgery/Science. I knew a bloke from the year above me, who took a gap year, and he got A's in Chemistry, Biology and Geography. So when he applied already with his A-levels he was expecting at least one offer, but he didn't get one. He had excellent work experience, and stuff like that.

Medicine and Dentistry are of course over subcribed, as is English at Oxford or something like that

ReputationRep:
    got accepted to for nottingham to read economics, don't know what it was like this year but i'm sure it was high, last year it was applicant per place ratio was approx 13:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEXTadamSMITH)
    got accepted to for nottingham to read economics, don't know what it was like this year but i'm sure it was high, last year it was applicant per place ratio was approx 13:1

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L1V3.htm

BSc Economics with Economic History (@LSE)
    Usual standard offer: GCE A level: grades A A A one of which must be Mathematics
    Applications 2002: 116
    First year students 2002: 3

38.6:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neogandalf)
    Does anyone know any undergraduate courses that are ridiculouly over subscribed

I'd better set the benchmark so...

History at Bristol has 1826 applicants for 72 places

Anyone know a higher one?
    For some Law courses it is like 27 applicants/place

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it makes the fact that there are about 3.5 applicants per place at Cambridge seem really low. Therefore Cambridge is easy to get in.

Erm...

Perhaps these aren't the best way of deciding that.

ReputationRep:
    law is also very over subscirbed,

you have to remember though that statistically, only on sixth of applications become a firm offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Wow, it makes the fact that there are about 3.5 applicants per place at Cambridge seem really low. Therefore Cambridge is easy to get in.

Erm...

Exactly, it doesn't really matter how many people apply - it's how evenly matched they all are.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    but what happens if more people than expected put it as their first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)

Erm...

Red the title of this thread again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Red the title of this thread again!
    red the title, ummm, not sure if i can change the colour of titles - worth a try tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    red the title, ummm, not sure if i can change the colour of titles - worth a try tho!
    nope, sorry, i cant, that is what u meant wasnt it??

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.