Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it would have to be the hotest and sunniest week of the year (and the start of wimbledon) for my killer week of bio geog and chem exams... been cramming unit 5 stuff in all day as i'm praying most of the synoptic stuff will be kinda linked to that like my teacher said. it is a killer unit though espec gene technology!
    its gonna be a v long night.....

ReputationRep:
    i just cant motivate myself to do this, despite printing off pictures of things i want like expensive cars, houses etc pinning them to my wall as an incentive....nothing works! im just avoiding revision, y did i take biology?arggghhh!!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't help that most of the stuff I have no interest in whatsoever. Things like increasing biodiversity by mowing - not very easy to motivate yourself with those sorts of topics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    i just cant motivate myself to do this, despite printing off pictures of things i want like expensive cars, houses etc pinning them to my wall as an incentive....nothing works! im just avoiding revision, y did i take biology?arggghhh!!
    I am alternating between here and google looking for med schools i can apply to with lower offers, i'm so worried about bio. But can I revise and solve the lack of knowledge problem? no! I'm just disctracting myself and my motivation is dwindling.

Ellie4, I'm going to hunt for my unit 1 book, and come back with a summary for you, it's the only way I will ever do any work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Doesn't help that most of the stuff I have no interest in whatsoever. Things like increasing biodiversity by mowing - not very easy to motivate yourself with those sorts of topics!
    Oh god, tell me about it, Its the one part of unit 5 I still haven't done... beautiful sunny day, wimbledon, ice-cream.... and then theres biology. WHEN WILL IT END?! (answer for bio, friday! so far away...) The only part that interested me in class was the idea of burning everything to the ground, but thats just a side-effect of stress over biology. the "burn everything" mentality.

Must pull ourselves together!! To the bio-cave batman!! ... it just doesn't work does it. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    I am alternating between here and google looking for med schools i can apply to with lower offers, i'm so worried about bio. But can I revise and solve the lack of knowledge problem? no! I'm just disctracting myself and my motivation is dwindling.

Ellie4, I'm going to hunt for my unit 1 book, and come back with a summary for you, it's the only way I will ever do any work!
    in all of your other threads you seem to know ur stuff!! the kind of person i envy!!

ReputationRep:
    TRANSCRIPTION

this is the process of tranferring the coded info from the nucleus to the cytoplasm (it happens in the nucleus). the enzyme RNApolymerase attaches to the double helix (usually at the codon for the amino acid methionine which codes for 'start').

the hydrogen bonds in the dna get broken and the dna unwinds, one of the strands of DNA (the coding strand) acts as a template, so a complementary polynucleotide strand is built up from a bunch of nucleotides swimming around in the nucleus. The formation of the complementary strand is catalysed by dna polymerase.

as it forms, the strand of newly formed mRNA detatches from the original strand of unwound DNA, and when the process is done, it leaves the nucleus by going through the nuclear pores. It's now in the cytoplasm and attaches to a ribosome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    The only part that interested me in class was the idea of burning everything to the ground, but thats just a side-effect of stress over biology. the "burn everything" mentality.
    Lol!!!
    But after Friday life will be alot less stressful! (Friday itself won't be particularly enjoyable though!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    in all of your other threads you seem to know ur stuff!! the kind of person i envy!!
    You must be joking!!! I got a magnificent 13 marks on my synoptic paper last year, resulting in EDD for units 4 5 and 6 respectively!! But thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Transcription is when the DNA strand is unwound (can't remember the enzyme which unwinds it though) and RNA polymerase comes in to make a complementary strand of mRNA.

tRNA has an anticodon site which which it takes to the mRNA which acts as a template and a ribosome binds the codons together to form a chain of amino acids.

it's really brief i know, it would be easier with diagrams...

ReputationRep:
    there are gonna be questions about human evolution for human biologist for the synapotic part in unit 5 which is very likely. ive seen alot of essay question about that from previous past unit 5 papers and for general biologist its most likely to be photosynthesis. not sure but it scores the highest possibility or might be something related to conservation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Lol!!!
    But after Friday life will be alot less stressful! (Friday itself won't be particularly enjoyable though!).
    Life after tomorrow will be so much less depressing!

I mean the synoptic paper is a biatch, but better than 4 and 5. I am going to spend thursday doing essay plans

ReputationRep:
    when is your biology unit 4-5 exam, mine ins tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    TRANSLATION

this happens on the ribosomes in the cytoplasm

mRNA, which has just made it's escape from the nucleus, binds to the ribosome in such a way that it's codons are exposed.

(( a trna molecule consists of a single polynucleotide strand of rna which is bent back on itself and looks like a clover leaf shape. On one bit of the molecule is an anticodon, which has a triplet of unpaired bases. At the other end of the trna is a site for the attachment of a specific amino acid.))

as the ribosome moves along the mrna strand, it can hold two trna molecules at any one time. Complementary bases on the anticodon are hydrogen bonded to the codons on the mrna, whilst an enzyme catalyses the formation of a peptide bond between the two amino acids on the other side of the trna molecule. As each peptide bond is formed, the ribosome moves one triplet along the mrna strand. After amino acids have been joined together, the trna molecule is released to go and bond with another amino acid.

Probabaly not much use, but it helped me!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.