Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How Did You Guys Find The P5 Paper 2day?
    (this Is Early Because I Wanted 2 B Z First Person On Z Thread Muwahahaha)

ReputationRep:
    Messed that one up pretty bad :/ Made loads of stupid mistakes in the first few questions and wasted loads of time correcting them all, so ran out of time. Can anyone remember how many marks questions 6, 7 and 8 were out of? Think I got 6 marks out of the last 3 questions.

ReputationRep:
    question 8 was out of 13 n question 6 was 10 not sure bout question 7. not a bad paper, question 1-5 very easy n also question 7. question 6 n 8 wer hard.

ReputationRep:
    that was hard! There was a big time restraint towards the last 3 questions and i didn't get to chek my earlier solutions - i think i messed up pretty badly - hope i got method marks though

did anyone not find it hard? I'd be surprsed to hear from you All the further mathematicians in my school found it hard...hope the boundray for an A is low

phil

ReputationRep:
    Well... oww. That was not easy, that wasn't even alright. That was a properly hard paper. Just a couple of marks should see you getting 100UMS after that onslaught. Questions 1-5 were reasonably ok, but the last three were a bit horrendous.
    6: Ended up with a really nasty integrand
    7: Managed part c!
    8: What the hell was expected from part a? took me a while to remember the proof for b and there wasn't time for c.

Is anyone going to claim it was easy???

ReputationRep:
    this paper is all right..
    quite easy.......

ReputationRep:
    Agree with riks2004... q1-5 were pretty straight forward, as was q7.
    q6 and q8 were harder, got a very close answer for q6, and got q8a) and hopefully method marks for b) and c).. so overall dare i say it quite a good paper!

Heres some of my random answers...
    -For 1b) applying limits to your intergral from 1a) did you get approx 0.3 (it was a 3dp number)
    -For 2b) where x=ln2, my exact fraction was I think 128/259
    -For the area in 3) I got 6(Pi)a²
    -For 5) were your directrix and focus along the lines of 25a/16

Hope some of that sounds familiar!? :rolleyes: Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    It was a very hard paper and very tight on time. It would be easy for people who'd learnt methods parrot style and could very quickly answer the questions. I usually work slowly so I ran out of time (quite badly).
    Basically, if I couldn't see a solution immediately I left it so as to scrape as many marks as possible and planned to go back but ran out of time.
    I think I only fully completed the intrinsic question, SA of revolution, lnk coshx and finding the value of p and reduction formulae.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a long paper and there was lots to do.. I made several (careless)mistakes on my first run through of the paper... but I think once I spotted the trick it was easy.... That first question was horrible to start with... made you depressed for the rest of the paper... until I hit myself on the head when I saw how easy it actually was in the last 15 minutes!

ReputationRep:
    phew. glad that that's over with. Not my best, but not my worst either. Was going along nicely on 1-5. then turned the page and ahhh, lol. Last three questions took up the rest of my time...question 6 was all over the place for me, but I managed to answer most of 7 and 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deity47)
    Agree with riks2004... q1-5 were pretty straight forward, as was q7.
    q6 and q8 were harder, got a very close answer for q6, and got q8a) and hopefully method marks for b) and c).. so overall dare i say it quite a good paper!

Heres some of my random answers...
    -For 1b) applying limits to your intergral from 1a) did you get approx 0.3 (it was a 3dp number)
    -For 2b) where x=ln2, my exact fraction was I think 128/259
    -For the area in 3) I got 6(Pi)a²
    -For 5) were your directrix and focus along the lines of 25a/16

Hope some of that sounds familiar!? :rolleyes: Discuss!
    i got 6/5 (Pi)a² for Q3
    and 128/289 for Q2b because Cosh2x = 8/17 , 17*17=289.
    the others were correct

ReputationRep:
    i reckon itll be bout 56-58/75 for an A

ReputationRep:
    hard paper
    i cudnt finish off the integrend in question 3...came up with horrendous powers of sin n cos x that i jus cusnt seem to get rid off..
    n 6 as well...just trailed off duno where i mean like really...
    how r we meant to integrate x² / [2 √(x²-1)] :eek:
    which one was seven? all i remember is after 6 i managed to finish it off reasonably 'easily'
    3 n 6 were MESSED up :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a pretty nasty paper: there were lots of tricks that were pretty much essential, such as the +1-1 thing, hyperbolic substitutions and half angles. I just had time to answer everything apart from 8a (the logs thing) - and now I've been told how to do that bit is seems so obvious...

Some answers I remember:
    .25(e^2-1)
    (6pi/5)a^2
    128/259
    focus was at [(25/16)a, 0]

For the very last part of the very last question, it mentioned answer*s*, but I found that one of the solutions to my quadratic was out of the range of arsech - anyone know how many answers were expected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riks2004)
    question 8 was out of 13 n question 6 was 10 not sure bout question 7. not a bad paper, question 1-5 very easy n also question 7. question 6 n 8 wer hard.
    same. couldn't finish Q6, and just managed to finish Q8 part 1

ReputationRep:
    25(e^2 -1) ?
    which question was that?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Looks like everyone just got crapped on. At least we're all in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    i got 6/5 (Pi)a² for Q3
    and 128/289 for Q2b because Cosh2x = 8/17 , 17*17=289.
    the others were correct
    yep, same here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drw25)

Some answers I remember:
    .25(e^2-1)
    i got that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    25(e^2 -1) ?
    which question was that?
    0.25 ie. a quarter

This was for the last part of the reduction formula q.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.