Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    wot were ur answers for the last question? u had to solve a hidden quad to get sinx =0.5 and -1. then 3 answers in terms of pi, i think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becksdecks7)
    wot were ur answers for the last question? u had to solve a hidden quad to get sinx =0.5 and -1. then 3 answers in terms of pi, i think?
    30degs, 150 degs, 270 degs =

π/6,5π/6, 3π/2

thats what I think I got

ReputationRep:
    yeh, same for me

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand how it could not have been q = 24 for the binomial question because the even tho the method is different for p2 and p3 the answere woul dstill be the same wouldnt it??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    what about fg=1/4 I got x=+/- root 2 then I said f:x is >1 so only +root2? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    yeah +√2 is right, i put ±√2 and realized when i got out of the exam

edit, sorry it was +2

ReputationRep:
    i got +2. becasue i got x^2=4 forgot the x>1 thing but also forgot sq rot 4 is also -2 so guess the two wrongs make a right.
    also im sure when i put 2 back into the equation it all worked out, are you sure it was root 2? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeh sorry, I meant +/- 2 and +2 is correct

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to the second part of the first question? the one with the log[2]s in it?

also GAZ mate if you are reading this then can you please put up your answers...lol i trust your answers more...

ReputationRep:
    can anybody remember what g(x) was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devesh254)
    what was the answer to the second part of the first question? the one with the log[2]s in it?

also GAZ mate if you are reading this then can you please put up your answers...lol i trust your answers more...

1/6

ReputationRep:
    How was it then?

I really liked it...I think. Overall I think it was easy...I couldn't think how to get the volume of water per minute passing through the river on one of the questions...had absolutely no idea whatsoever.

On the expansions question q was -24 and p was 2 or the other way round...On the trig question I found that we are looking for values for X which give 1/2 and -1 which are 150, 30 and 270 degrees, converted into radians.

Proofs were relatively easy.

On find the volume question I think I found it..only on part B I couldn't remember how to find the volume of a cone so I had to use integration along the tangent to C :P.

erm.......can't remember any answers....probably if you start off I'll remember s'g

I also got the second transformation looking like a W.

I got two values for solving the modulus.... though I never rejected one of them, which I should have.

ReputationRep:
    Erm yeah not a bad paper, quite long tho, was wiritng up till the end. Only one i found hard was the proof at 8.c.ii cos of the time.

g(x) was x² + 5

also on part b) we were asked for the inverse f^(-1) which i got to be something like y= 2/x + 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James K)
    The volume of a cone is 1/3π(r^2)h i think, this gave a volume of 2πln3 for the region R.
    I agree completely ...I only wrote it as Pi(ln9) which is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asura)
    also on part b) we were asked for the inverse f^(-1) which i got to be something like y= 2/x + 1
    Yeah, I think I got that too.

Can't remember when I got for the volume of revolution question now. Starting to doubt some of my answers.

ReputationRep:
    For the fg(x) question was the solution + or - root 2. I am sure it was because even though it says f(x) > 1, you have to put - root 2 into g(x) first and then that does give you a number greater than 1 to put into f(x).

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back. I thought it was a 'friendly' paper and was pleased that some of the people I know did well in it. The other further maths candidate at my centre tells me he didn't like P5 much though :rolleyes:
    I checked my answers on a seperate sheet but didn't hand the sheet in, as I thought it might appear suspicious if I handed in another sheet with all the answers in in all my tests, i've already done that in P3.
    Feel free to debate these if you like:

Q1(a) ln8/ln5=1.29(3sf)
    (b)(1/6)

Q2(a)1+(12p)x+(66p^2)x^2
    (b)p=-2, q=24.

Q3(a)complete table to 3dp.
    (b) 43.86.
    (c)5260m^3 (3sf).

Q4(a)Proof
    (b)f^-1(x)=(x+2)/x.
    (c)2

Q5(a)(2pi/3)(4+ln3)
    (b)2(pi)(ln3).

Q6(a)Proof
    (b)Proof
    (c)Iteration.
    (d)Test for a sign change.

Q7 Sketching/proof but the answer to c/d was -1/6 IIRC

Q8(a)tant=-1/(3rt3)=(-1/9)(rt3)
    (b)i)Proof
    ii)x=pi/6, 5pi/6, 3pi/2.
    iii)Proof.

ReputationRep:
    Dang, yeah, for those that got the π.2ln 3, its the same as π.ln 9 (3²)

Edit: also, the transformations - the f(x + 1) moved it 1 to the left, what did the f(|x|) do to it, as it was already a modulus function!

ReputationRep:
    It was an absolute shambles. We all arrived at 9:00. Come 9:45 we finally are allowed into the room. No formula booklets. Another 15 minutes passes while we have to wait outside. Now people sitting History and C2 are still inside, we go back in at 10:00. 10 minutes into the exam we're given formula booklets (well everybody except one) and continue until we're interrupted by an alarm in the building. Finally at 11:30 we leave.

I did really badly, but not as bad as one guy. He was meant to be sitting C2 but instead sat P2. So from 9:45 to 11:30 he was trying to do an A2 Maths paper he's never seen or been taught. After it was over we told him he may have sat the wrong paper and he had to go back in todo C2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLUREMI)
    yeh got the same as most of you guys, coundnt do the first trig q and the last mod 1 though. For fg(x) i got 2, and i got 5000 something for the volume but didnt convert to 3 sfg would i lose any marks. I however got something like pie(2ln3 - 4) for the volume of R. 1.29 and 1/6 for the first question. For the 3rd trig i got the values 30, 270 and 150. a = -2 and b=-1. The binomial was q=-2 and p=24
    It had to be in radians in terms of pi so π/6, 5π/6, 11π/6 as far as i can remember. And yes you would loose a mark for the 3SF. Ive made too much of those mistakes in the past! :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.