Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^^ agreed

87% for an A is ludicrous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    pi (8/3 + 2ln3) ?

Couldnt you have left it like that?

Oh and, i dont think the grade boundries will be low or high. i think 60-62 for an A sounds about right - the general feeling about this paper is people either found it quite easy or quite hard.

And also, a paper easy to make a mistake in especially the trig question.
    Have a glance oveer June 03, was just as challenging if not more than this 1.. raw u needed was 65...it really sucks because this yr no AS ppl r taking the exam, just A2 Single and Double mathematicians...which drives me into thinkin it wil b 66/75 for an A and 58 for a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    pi (8/3 + 2ln3) ?

Couldnt you have left it like that?

Oh and, i dont think the grade boundries will be low or high. i think 60-62 for an A sounds about right - the general feeling about this paper is people either found it quite easy or quite hard.

And also, a paper easy to make a mistake in especially the trig question.
    i don't c y it can'y b left like that.

ill be happy if its 60/75 or below, i hate being scalled down

ReputationRep:
    ok...so heres wot i missed,.... the second part of 1, the volume of water travelling per second thingi, although i smacked the rest of that question., the last part of the trig question, the f(|x|) graph, and the change of sign proof, (mostly 2-3 mark questions)

please can someone reply to this and work out an average for me,.... seein as im too lazy.... and i dont no the mark allocations for the questions i missed...(BTW... I KNOW I SMACKED ALL THE OTHER QUESTIONS)

sig:

ReputationRep:
    {Response to high grade boundries}

I was thinking that they might be slightly higher too - that because of C2, less people are taking P2 and less people are taking it for the first time, and hence people will on average to slightly better,

But still, there are plenty of schools of which the year 13's have only one chance at P2 (dont know why) and some people who still could have mucked up that exam even with quite a lot of revision.

I do admit it wasnt the hardest of papers, but still, not as easy as some people are making out.

ReputationRep:
    hey man...im depressed seein as i lost easy marks, it could cost a grade......

ReputationRep:
    Looking back, I really do think I did very well, not to boast but I can't see where I lost marks on this one.

The grade boundry will probably be very high, out of about 12 practise papaers I did, this one was easier than all of them, even the trig questions which can be evil was basic.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what's best after a mathematics exam - the feeling of accomplishment or reading everyones crazy theories about the raw to ums conversion process

ReputationRep:
    are you guys sure about the graph? you all seem to agree that it;s W shaped but i think it's a reflection in the Y axis and the book agrees. did i miss soemthing in the equation?

also, if anyone can go through the steps to *integral*y2dx for the last question about volume rotations. think the equation was (X+1)/X2?

ReputationRep:
    will P2 be available for retakes in jan/june next year (seeing as the Cs have been introduced)

ReputationRep:
    That one was a huge relief after P3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooneknows)
    That one was a huge relief after P3!
    thats definatly true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rudeboymcc)
    are you guys sure about the graph? you all seem to agree that it;s W shaped but i think it's a reflection in the Y axis and the book agrees. did i miss soemthing in the equation?
    The W shape is a reflection in the y axis.

also, if anyone can go through the steps to *integral*y2dx for the last question about volume rotations. think the equation was (X+1)/X2?
    v=\pi \int_1^3 \frac{(x+1)^{2}}{x^{2}} dx\\

v=\pi \int_1^3 \frac{x^{2}+2x+1}{x^{2}} dx\\

v=\pi \int_1^3 1+\frac{2}{x} + x^{-2} dx\\

v=\pi [x+2lnx-\frac{1}{x}]_1^3\\

v=\pi [3+2ln3-\frac{1}{3}-1+1]\\

v=\pi [\frac{8}{3}+2ln3]\\

v=\frac{2\pi}{3}[4+3ln3]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobyclark)
    will P2 be available for retakes in jan/june next year (seeing as the Cs have been introduced)
    im not sure - but i remember hearing that January or June 2006 will be the last sitting.
    Only what someone told me - not at all definate - try checking the edexcel website maybe, or asking your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    ur first graph, that is d function, it aught to be shifted to the left (along d x-axis), since it's f(x+1), not f(x)+1, which is along the y-axis and upwards.
    RIGHT?

(Original post by josklkr)
    I thought the paper was really nice (and im by no means a mathmatician - I reckon i got around 73/75)

1. a) x = lg8/lg5 = 1.29
    b) x = 1/6

2a) 1 + 12px + 66p²x²
    b) P = -2 q = 24

3a) x = 4 y = 1.600, x = 12 y = 3.394, x = 16 y = 3.200
    b) 43.86m²
    c) 6263.2m³

4a) Im not gonna write out my working but it all worked out ok,
    b) f^-1(X) = 2/x + 1
    c) X = +/-2 (the reason i said it could be -2 is that in function g x can be any real number, function g contains x² therefore this will make any negative positive allowing for the condition on f that x > 1 - did anyone else do this???)

5a) π(8/3 + 2ln3)
    b) i couldnt remember the formula for volume of cone - will hopefully get one mark for subtracting something - i tried to integrate the formula for curved surface area this gave me 1/2πr²h - so close but so far

6a) 3e^x - 1/2x
    b) it worked with a bit of rearranging
    c) x1 = 0.0613
    x2 = 0.1568
    x3 = 0.1425
    x4 = 0.1445

d) f'(0.14425) = -0.000685
    f'(0.14435) = 0.002
    change in sign therefore root intbetween

7.a) see attached picture
    b) see attched picture
    c) a = -2 b = -1
    d) x = -1/6

8. a) tan θ = -1/3√3
    b) i) use of double angle formula and cos²x + sin²x = 1
    ii) x = 3π/2 π/6 5π/6
    iii) it all cancelled down to
    cos²x + sin²x = 1
    then with a little substitution it showed that 1=1

I have a copy of the paper if anyone would like specific questions posted.
    Let me know what u think
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeA1)
    ur first graph, that is d function, it aught to be shifted to the left (along d x-axis), since it's f(x+1), not f(x)+1, which is along the y-axis and upwards.
    RIGHT?
    sorry not really sure what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeA1)
    RIGHT?
    That's right.

ReputationRep:
    i'd just like to point out to everyone that you should forget about pure maths as your never ever gonna have to do it again - all this after exam talk is pointless!

(This is with the exception of maths genii that loved it so much they are going to do at uni - for you lot this is a taste of what your going to do at uni... if two opposite corners of a chess board where taken away and you had 31 dominoes, prove that you can't place these 31 dominoes on the chess board!

impossible and pointless i know, but hey, it could be worse i suppose you could choose to do bio at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    For f(x)=|x-1|-2=5x, I think the answer is -3/4 (edit: the correct answer is -1/6).

For the water flow question, I got the cross-sectional area as 43.86m^2 and the volume in a minute as 5260m^3 to 3sf.
    yep, i totally agree. the good old speed = distance/time rearranged for distance distance = speed * time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    i'd just like to point out to everyone that you should forget about pure maths as your never ever gonna have to do it again - all this after exam talk is pointless!
    Don't be silly - who would want to forget about pure maths. There's P4/P6/AEA yet in addition to university.

if two opposite corners of a chess board where taken away and you had 31 dominoes, prove that you can't place these 31 dominoes on the chess board!
    I've seen this before so figuring it out wouldn't be fun. Is this along the lines of 'a scientist, a mathematician and an x' where asked to prove y, the scientist said a, the mathematician said b and the x said c' jokes?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.