Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    surely it doesnt matter what the grade boundaries are for the overall grade. what matters is how all ur exam grades add up.
    UMS for A is 480/600, so if you count up UMS marks from last year and take it away from 480, itll give u how many marks you need to get in your A2 exams to get an A overall.

(i went a bit mad with this and did it for physics and biology too...makes me feel better knowing i only need 60% average in salters biology for my B (woohoo)

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries do matter though. If you get 65/75, which is nearly 87%, and the grade boundary for an A is 66, then the most you can get is 79/100 UMS... if you need an A, that'd be costly. Meh, I don't care anyway. I had two exams today that didn't leave me panicking. This is good. Any answer to my question anybody?

ReputationRep:
    No i dont think it would be a problem. Still the same EXACT answer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Uhu, that's what I thought, and I never know which to leave it as. I had time left so I thought I'd change it, and, typical to me, I panicked anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josklkr)
    5a) π(8/3 + 2ln3)
    b) i couldnt remember the formula for volume of cone - will hopefully get one mark for subtracting something - i tried to integrate the formula for curved surface area this gave me 1/2πr²h - so close but so far
    This is odd. What I did for this question is found the equation of the tangent, then found the volume of revolution for the triangle and then subtracted that from the volume under the curve.

Didn't anyone else try that? (apparently not from what i've seen here). I got (2ln 3 - 16)pi.

I'm pretty sure that's right, because how can the volume of revolution thing give you the wrong answer? .... does anyone know why this might have happened? can anyone try doing it with volumes of rev?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkchips)
    This is odd. What I did for this question is found the equation of the tangent, then found the volume of revolution for the triangle and then subtracted that from the volume under the curve.

Didn't anyone else try that? (apparently not from what i've seen here). I got (2ln 3 - 16)pi.

I'm pretty sure that's right, because how can the volume of revolution thing give you the wrong answer? .... does anyone know why this might have happened? can anyone try doing it with volumes of rev?
    2l3 - 16 is negative, so it cant be right
    I followed the same technique as you, and got pie(2/3 + 2ln3)
    The triangles volume was 2pie i think

ReputationRep:
    I did equation of the tangent, using the point (3,0) as my point so I got a slightly more simple equation, volume of a revolution, and took that away from my orignal, and ended up with Piln9. I have no idea if it was right, but it seemed to be a sensible answer considering the set up of the question, and, some other people had it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    I thought it was a relatively easy paper, because I hammered into revision after doing badly in January. Hopefully, I'm not delusional and I have done well. One question... in the volume of a revolution questions, I changed 2ln3 to ln9... or whatever the hell ln whatever the hell, I just raised it to the power, that is ok right?

EDIT: I'm a ******, I've typed it the wrong way round.

Yeh that's fine... What part of Notts you from?..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sequence123)
    I think you mean the 'cone's volume? It was (1/3)(pi)(2^2)(2)=8pi/3 IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sequence123)
    that is so close to what i got i got tri volume to be 2 2/3pi though

so when I took one from the other the volume of R to be just 2ln3

ReputationRep:
    This is what I eventually got (yeah, I know it wasn't one, but I can't remember the number and I know it was the same):

pi(1 +ln 9) - pi(1)
    pi1 + piln9 -pi1
    pi (1+ln9 - 1)
    piln9

And I'm from North Notts, I'm right on the Yorkshire border.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkchips)

wow that's so annoying. I retried the question and see where I went wrong. I went from:

y - 2 = -x + 1

to y = -x - 1

when it should have been y = -x + 3

a simple error in carrying forward a line of working. I absolutely hate it when that happens.

oh well I think I got everything else in the paper right...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.