Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, don't know if any one can help me on this...

i'm really finding bio hard at the mo- but i neeeeeeed an e to get my points for uni

i have a D grade at AS

and i worked out that in the exams i have coming up, i need a total of 56 marks to get my E ( i know that not much)

but i was wondering if anyone can tell me what marks i need to get (roughly) in the individual papers

coursework
    ecology
    microbes + disease

cos i just cant work it out- i dont understand, please help someone! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt you just have to divide 56 by 3? which is 18.66

I may be wrong, but im assuming that you have counted your points from your AS grade and compared them with the amount of points you need to obtain an E. In theory, you could fail one and get 28 points for two of the papers.

Good luck with your exams, and i hoped my info helped in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, i just get confused when they scale things up or down. so i just need about 19 marks in each area? wow!

ReputationRep:
    So, I take it you mean 56 UMS marks to get the 240/600 for an E...

Coursework weighting = 7.5% of total A Level (so worth 45 of the 600)
    Ecology Module weighting = 7.5% of total A Level (45 of 600)
    Option Module weighting = 20% of total A Level (120 of 600)

With a total of 45+45+120 marks remaining to score (that's 210 marks) you have to get 56 of those. This is 56/210*100%, so 27% minimum out of the remaining papers. 27% of each of these is....

Cwk - 27% of 45 is 13 marks
    Eco - 27% of 45 is 13 marks
    Opt - 27% of 120 is 33 marks

I've rounded these up, because the actual figures were all slightly lower. But like rainjan said, you could get 5 marks on each of the coursework and the ecology and then 44 marks on the option paper. Cwk+Eco are two halves of unit 5 though, so in essence you would need 26/90 on that unit.

ReputationRep:
    wow! thats such a great help, thanks so much for taking the time to work it all out for me- you are a star!! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    in the last module i took- unit 4, i got like 34 out of 90, and that went pretty badly so hopefully i should be able to get 13 marks in the ones coming up!!hehe

ReputationRep:
    no worries you'll be fine. good luck with them!

ReputationRep:
    In previous years, the Edexcel Biology UMS has been really low - i think it was June 2003 that 58% in unit 5 was worth 80/100 UMS. Unit 4C is usually about 65-70% for 80/100 UMS. I guess it is because biology questions are so badly worded that people find them difficult to get full marks - i certainly find this! And unit 5 is largely synoptic, which is always going to lower the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP Nuts)
    In previous years, the Edexcel Biology UMS has been really low - i think it was June 2003 that 58% in unit 5 was worth 80/100 UMS. Unit 4C is usually about 65-70% for 80/100 UMS. I guess it is because biology questions are so badly worded that people find them difficult to get full marks - i certainly find this! And unit 5 is largely synoptic, which is always going to lower the grade boundaries.
    Maybe it's because people like us think "I only need 40% or 50% or whatever in my final paper" so put in a lot less effort and **** it up anyway?

ReputationRep:
    all of them are that low for edexcel bio there's nothing special about unit 5

ReputationRep:
    i nee to get 120 UMS marks to get an E overall which sucks because thats like an A or something on the A2 units and i am incapable of that.

edited to say- that that is minus the coursework marks as i wasnt entered for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP Nuts)
    a light at the end of the biology tunnel

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.