Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the paper?
    I couldn't do the one proving the area of a shaded region which is worth 10 marks... well... and i can't do the one that ask you to prove the locus of N.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kybie26)
    How did everyone find the paper?
    I couldn't do the one proving the area of a shaded region which is worth 10 marks... well... and i can't do the one that ask you to prove the locus of N.
    I have just done this paper and thought it woz very difficult. The area of the shaded region could b done by parts i think - but i must have made a mistake somewhere because i didnt end up with the right answer. I missed out most of the last question as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_anomaly)
    I have just done this paper and thought it woz very difficult. The area of the shaded region could b done by parts i think - but i must have made a mistake somewhere because i didnt end up with the right answer. I missed out most of the last question as well
    same here

it was a very difficult paper imo, im just tryin to not let it get me down.

just need to do that little bit better on P6 next week

ReputationRep:
    yup, rock hard paper that.

with the shaded area integration, by parts was the way to go.

u ended up with an X² over a √(X²-1) (for part of it at least) so u had to put the top as X²-1+1, separate it out and then the integral worked.

unfortunately in the answer i didnt get the right values on the left of the ln.

1st two pages were alright, after that it was quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Dunc)
    yup, rock hard paper that.

with the shaded area integration, by parts was the way to go.

u ended up with an X² over a √(X²-1) (for part of it at least) so u had to put the top as X²-1+1, separate it out and then the integral worked.

unfortunately in the answer i didnt get the right values on the left of the ln.

1st two pages were alright, after that it was quite hard.
    i let x=cosh(theta)

so u got cosh^2(theta)*sinh(theta)/sinh(theta)

and then used 0.5*cosh2(theta)+0.5=cosh^2(thet a)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyS)
    i let x=cosh(theta)

so u got cosh^2(theta)*sinh(theta)/sinh(theta)

and then used 0.5*cosh2(theta)+0.5=cosh^2(thet a)
    Yep thats wot i did as well. I think i actually got the right answer but left it in terms of arcosh 2 so hopefully ill only lose 1 for that question. Just out of interest does any1 remember what they got for the surface area generated by the curve - cant remember what question it woz. I ended up gettin the integral of sin^4 t with respect to t but didnt know where to go from here. Did any1 else get to this stage or have I done it completely wrong?!

ReputationRep:
    Also, does any1 vaguely remember what they got for the first question. had a mind blank at the beginning of that paper and had 2 go bk to it!! lol. i think i ended up with somethin like:

1/2 arcsin 2x - 1/4sqrt(1 - 4x^2)

coefficients mite be slightly wrong - cant remember exactly - but does that look familiar to any1??! Answer to part (b) somethin like 0.378?

ReputationRep:
    See the other thread for those and other answers

Here

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    my answers.
    1)
    a) 1/2 arcsin2x - 1/4 (1-4x(sq))^1/2 + c
    b) i got 0.151 but i know it was 3. something, bloody calcualtion error

2) b) 128/289

3) area = (6/5) pi a^2

4) b) i did 1/2 e^2 for some reason i forgot the constand from I0 i dont know why!

5) b) 4py = x + 16ap^2

d) focus (25a/16, 0)
    Directrix x = -25/16

e) a parabolas to the right of the y axis with m smaller than n (smaller meaning less height above and below on the y co-ordiantes both parabolas through 0,0

6) 7/4 ln(2 +3^1/2) - 1/2 (3)^1/2

7) p = 2 ( i kno it was 2root3 for some reason i thought cos (pi/6) was 1/2 i have no idea why)

8) c) x = ln (3/2 + 1/2 root5) and x = ln (3/2 - 1/2 root5)

some silly calculation errors that really is unlike me, i blame the heat!! well my methods were correct just a few final answer flaws hope i only lost 1 or 2 for that bit, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    i though qus 1,2,3,5, 7 and 8 (except part 'a' were cool. I tried the 10 mark area with 2 substitutions and got part of the answer. If most good candidates thought it was tricky then hope UMS bumps everything else up...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was hard and did ok. Maybe half marks, lucky i don't need it.

Have to say i had the methods nailed down on a few, but some just didn't come out for me.

ReputationRep:
    I got stumped on the arsechx question and the area. And the first question as well, apparently my answer is right, I when I checked on the caculator I wasn't sure, so I didn't do the second part. All in all I have lost 11 marks definatly. Better focus on the other modules...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_anomaly)
    Also, does any1 vaguely remember what they got for the first question. had a mind blank at the beginning of that paper and had 2 go bk to it!! lol. i think i ended up with somethin like:

1/2 arcsin 2x - 1/4sqrt(1 - 4x^2)

coefficients mite be slightly wrong - cant remember exactly - but does that look familiar to any1??! Answer to part (b) somethin like 0.378?
    I got 0.378 too i hope that's the right answer.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.