The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vijay1
Well I did AS Math and further math: In math I've done C1, C2, S1 and in further math D1, S2, FP1 and D1 didn't go well in january so I resat.

For A2, we'll do C3, C4, M1 and in further math FP2, NM, FP3 or S3

I love physics, all though I don't do it, I enjoyed it at GCSE. I would say if you enjoy math then surely you'll enjoy Physics hence Mechanics

i think everyone assumes that if you enjoy maths, you enjoy physics. but that is not the case with me! i detest physics thats why i hate mechancis. i dont deny that its interesting, but its me 5 yrs to understand it :frown:

ill be doin C3, C4, S2 for maths and FP2, M2 and DE for further maths next year. but i have no idea what DE is!
we've already started coursework for c3 :eek:
Reply 41
darth_vader05
i think everyone assumes that if you enjoy maths, you enjoy physics. but that is not the case with me! i detest physics thats why i hate mechancis. i dont deny that its interesting, but its me 5 yrs to understand it :frown:

ill be doin C3, C4, S2 for maths and FP2, M2 and DE for further maths next year. but i have no idea what DE is!
we've already started coursework for c3 :eek:

Yep the C3 coursework shouldn't be hard and is all about numerical methods (estimations, approximations, solutions to equations etc.)

And DE stands for differential equations, - differentiation.

Thats not bad. :biggrin:
Reply 42
Yeah i had the test in DE today, you have to learn some quite easy stuff really, im just REALLY glad that nothing came up on Forced oscillations,
Theres abit of coursework with DE aswell im not sure if its all on oscillations and improving the model for SHM from M3. but DE isnt just differentiation its solving equations and stuff.
Vijay1
Yep the C3 coursework shouldn't be hard and is all about numerical methods (estimations, approximations, solutions to equations etc.)

And DE stands for differential equations, - differentiation.

Thats not bad. :biggrin:

da coursework isnt hard but who wants 2 do cw!!
i think ill be da judge of whether DE is bad or not :biggrin: but im glad there is sum cw, cos it can lift your grade up.
wots S2 like????
Reply 44
oooooh S2 isnt my favourite subject, you get a coursework in there too lol.
It's not too bad, some hypothesis testing in there, and approximating distributions from Binomial, or Poisson to poisson or normal dist, expectations and stuff like that
Reply 45
When doing the S2 module along with FP1, I felt S2 was so easy, I'll pass.

But I think I didn't revise much, and started getting confused with satsitics in the end. As I was doing S1 in math S2 in further math, I was getting things confused, you might think doing S1 in math and S2 in further math at same time might help one with the other, but that was not the case.

And I know I failed the exam, thats the only exam I failed. Btw. S1 was fine

S2 - carried on from S1 you learn a bit more about binomial distribution. And other various distributions as geekypoo said. I recommend S2 to S1
Vijay1
When doing the S2 module along with FP1, I felt S2 was so easy, I'll pass.

But I think I didn't revise much, and started getting confused with satsitics in the end. As I was doing S1 in math S2 in further math, I was getting things confused, you might think doing S1 in math and S2 in further math at same time might help one with the other, but that was not the case.

And I know I failed the exam, thats the only exam I failed. Btw. S1 was fine

S2 - carried on from S1 you learn a bit more about binomial distribution. And other various distributions as geekypoo said. I recommend S2 to S1

my teacher was saying that S2 is betta than S1 cos i (suprise suprise!! :biggrin: ) didnt like S1!!! has S2 got much conditional probability in it?? or probabiltiy of any sort???
the bad thing is that my college doesnt give me much choice- i have to do the modules that they teach.
Reply 47
darth_vader05
my teacher was saying that S2 is betta than S1 cos i (suprise suprise!! :biggrin: ) didnt like S1!!! has S2 got much conditional probability in it?? or probabiltiy of any sort???
the bad thing is that my college doesnt give me much choice- i have to do the modules that they teach.

Conditional probability is no where to be seen in S2, and nothing like the tree diagrams, venn diagrams etc are in S2.

Just about 3 different types of distributions of data, hypothesis testing, standard deviation and variance, no more then that.
Vijay1
Conditional probability is no where to be seen in S2, and nothing like the tree diagrams, venn diagrams etc are in S2.

Just about 3 different types of distributions of data, hypothesis testing, standard deviation and variance, no more then that.

yeah!! :biggrin: no probabiltiy!! i absolutely hate probabiltity
S2 does look quite intersting. i think we're gonna start FP2 tomorrow (hopefully!). i think pure maths is proper maths. :wink:
wot exams did u sit in january??
Reply 49
darth_vader05
yeah!! :biggrin: no probabiltiy!! i absolutely hate probabiltity
S2 does look quite intersting. i think we're gonna start FP2 tomorrow (hopefully!). i think pure maths is proper maths. :wink:
wot exams did u sit in january??

D1, C1, and Biology 1 and chemistry 1

Have you heard about the STEP papers which is optional if you do math? its very interesting and you have to teach yourself the work-its really challenging and doesn't matter if you fail. Its for people who enjoy math

I'm thinking of doing STEP next year, if everything goes well.
Vijay1
D1, C1, and Biology 1 and chemistry 1

Have you heard about the STEP papers which is optional if you do math? its very interesting and you have to teach yourself the work-its really challenging and doesn't matter if you fail. Its for people who enjoy math

I'm thinking of doing STEP next year, if everything goes well.

nope ive never heard of STEP. wot are they?? and how can i find out more about them??? ive heard of additonal maths but not STEP :confused:

i only did C1 and chem 1 in jan- i think ur luky dat u did bio aswell
Reply 51
darth_vader05
nope ive never heard of STEP. wot are they?? and how can i find out more about them??? ive heard of additonal maths but not STEP :confused:

i only did C1 and chem 1 in jan- i think ur luky dat u did bio aswell

Well STEP and AEA are the next thing up after further math, but only do it if your very confident. They are basically for people who want more challenge and it also helps universities decide if you can handle math at uni (if you want to do math at uni!)
Just ask your teacher about it.

How am I lucky that I did Bio? Chem 1 and Bio 1 were hard at the time, and I got a C and a D, so I'll resit next year. :frown:

Luckily Chem 2 and 3 were good and easy, and Bio 2 and 3 were ok.
Btw, I do AQA for both :rolleyes:
Vijay1
Well STEP and AEA are the next thing up after further math, but only do it if your very confident. They are basically for people who want more challenge and it also helps universities decide if you can handle math at uni (if you want to do math at uni!)
Just ask your teacher about it.

How am I lucky that I did Bio? Chem 1 and Bio 1 were hard at the time, and I got a C and a D, so I'll resit next year. :frown:

Luckily Chem 2 and 3 were good and easy, and Bio 2 and 3 were ok.
Btw, I do AQA for both :rolleyes:

i think il ask my teacher about STEP- its got me interested
i think chem 1 was ok in jan, but bio 1 2 and 3 in june were rock solid. i doubt ill pass. but the good thing is im gonna drop bio anyway so im ok!!! i do aqa for both aswell. do you do bio A or bio B.
do u have to sit STEP exams???
Reply 53
darth_vader05
i think il ask my teacher about STEP- its got me interested
i think chem 1 was ok in jan, but bio 1 2 and 3 in june were rock solid. i doubt ill pass. but the good thing is im gonna drop bio anyway so im ok!!! i do aqa for both aswell. do you do bio A or bio B.
do u have to sit STEP exams???

I would never drop Bio, as I want to do medicine at uni. I do Bio B.
Well I'm thinking about STEP for next year, you do have to sit an exam, where you get to choose to answer 4 questions only from 14 questions!! and they are 3 hours long (so your bound to pass)
Btw, the exam board for STEP papers is OCR:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/qualifications/aboutqualificationtype/aboutqualificationtype.jsp?oid=7610

Did u get to choose to do all your Bio exams in June?
How were the Chem 2 and 3 exams?
Vijay1
I would never drop Bio, as I want to do medicine at uni. I do Bio B.
Well I'm thinking about STEP for next year, you do have to sit an exam, where you get to choose to answer 4 questions only from 14 questions!! and they are 3 hours long (so your bound to pass)
Btw, the exam board for STEP papers is OCR:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/qualifications/aboutqualificationtype/aboutqualificationtype.jsp?oid=7610

Did u get to choose to do all your Bio exams in June?
How were the Chem 2 and 3 exams?

i do bio B aswell
and we had 2 do all of them in june :frown: if u do exams in jan, u know wot grade ur at, so its better
i think chem 2 was worse than chem 3. i messed up section B (max boltz).
but chem 3 had a lot of mechanism in it. how did u find them?? wot did u think of bio 3 :frown:
Reply 55
darth_vader05
i do bio B aswell
and we had 2 do all of them in june :frown: if u do exams in jan, u know wot grade ur at, so its better
i think chem 2 was worse than chem 3. i messed up section B (max boltz).
but chem 3 had a lot of mechanism in it. how did u find them?? wot did u think of bio 3 :frown:

Bio 3 was so much better and easier than Bio 2. It was like, you know when you revise so much that you just know the answers, well it was like that I just knew the answers, although I didn't attempt the calculations in the Bio 3 exam, the explaining and longer questions were alright (definitely a grade B or above in Bio 3 :smile: )
Bio 2 went so bad, I didn't revise for genetics, although its meant to be easier to Bio 3, I didn't revise hence I found it intensively difficult hence I failed :frown: :rolleyes:

I do think I did better in Chem 3 then Chem 2. Because I revised more, I love the mechanisms, they make sense when you know the definition of a nucleophile and electrophile and how they react to different molecules.

generally I like learning new stuff, but it also depends on the subject, e.g studying Bio and then studying math is hard because their very different.
Its kind of a problem for me, because I like combining subjects and learning and relating things from different subjects together.

Hence I sometimes feel like doing Psychology, Bio, Chem next year, dropping math. But I don't know if I have the courage to drop math.

What do you plan to study after you finish school? What kind of a job do u want to do?
Vijay1
Bio 3 was so much better and easier than Bio 2. It was like, you know when you revise so much that you just know the answers, well it was like that I just knew the answers, although I didn't attempt the calculations in the Bio 3 exam, the explaining and longer questions were alright (definitely a grade B or above in Bio 3 :smile: )
Bio 2 went so bad, I didn't revise for genetics, although its meant to be easier to Bio 3, I didn't revise hence I found it intensively difficult hence I failed :frown: :rolleyes:

I do think I did better in Chem 3 then Chem 2. Because I revised more, I love the mechanisms, they make sense when you know the definition of a nucleophile and electrophile and how they react to different molecules.

generally I like learning new stuff, but it also depends on the subject, e.g studying Bio and then studying math is hard because their very different.
Its kind of a problem for me, because I like combining subjects and learning and relating things from different subjects together.

Hence I sometimes feel like doing Psychology, Bio, Chem next year, dropping math. But I don't know if I have the courage to drop math.

What do you plan to study after you finish school? What kind of a job do u want to do?

i found bio 2 da hardest. i did da opposite 2 u :biggrin: i revised bio 2 more than bio 3, hence i failed bio 3!!!!
chem module 3 was okay but i messed up da question were u had 2 name the amines ( i think) . module 2 was difinetly more rougher than 3.

i agree maths with bio is definetly hard. i dont do no subject which has english involved in it so i find it hard to apply my knowledge in bio. well if u dont need maths u could drop it, but i think ull be doing more work 4 physco!! at the end of the day it depends on your results. cos u dont know wot uve got :smile:

does medicne need maths???
i want 2 do a maths degree at uni (hopefully!) after dat im not sure. some1 told me 2 consider teaching, so dats an option, but i know dat ill probs be doin maths at uni. if not then probably a chemistry degree. i need maths but i did bio cos i didnt know what other subject to do. i do regret it cos doin biology messed my further maths up :frown:

Latest