Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ahh many a girlfriend has fallen victim to the magic curse lol
    my girlfriend has to deal with the same stuff =]
    but she doesnt mind that much =]

ReputationRep:
    Gosh that was some time ago I was writing about that.
    Well since then he has since given up magic all together..totally his own choice by the way. He said he didnt enjoy it anymore the way he used to and was starting to get bored and he also said the money he spent was ridiculous and could be much better spent.

Ah I guess there is life after magic in the end. He still loves his poker though but at least thats something I can play and kick his ass at haha

ReputationRep:
    I play a bit of casual Magic, starting at the Odyssey block. It was pretty fun playing with a few friends but then they all started building tournament decks while I was still using a modified version of one of the seventh edition ones :/
    We still get together and play drafts once in a while, though. Done the newest set twice and doing the Time Spiral one over Easter
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've got a 'pauper' constructed tournament coming up, its basically Magic on a budget. Minimum of 60 cards, no rares, no more than 5 uncommons. So I've gone for a tricolour red-green-black deck, focusing mainly on cards with Fear, Flying, Regenerate, Protection from (colour), First Strike etc. Not particularly big, but very annoying cards that are hard to kill

ReputationRep:
    so does anyone here play sanctioned magic ??
    othewise my rating wont mean jack diddly squat lol

ReputationRep:
    anyone here play Magic the gathering online, I prefer playing it in life but it is sometimes hard to find an opponent to feed your needs :P. I normally play a max aggro style like white weenie but I guess I don;t mind mucking about with blue and black sometimes never really play green though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James C)
    anyone here play Magic the gathering online, I prefer playing it in life but it is sometimes hard to find an opponent to feed your needs :P. I normally play a max aggro style like white weenie but I guess I don;t mind mucking about with blue and black sometimes never really play green though
    I'm not a fan of the online game, i don't like the idea of paying out full price for digital cards... just doesn't seem worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Just finished said Unhinged draft, picked up some good cards too (though I maintained the record I set in the last Standard tournament I entered, I was the only person to lose every round :p: ).

Absolutely love the Unhinged land cards, I managed to get at least one of each except for an island
    If this is the Unhinged draft in the arts centre last year, i think i won that one
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Evil-Tuna)
    If this is the Unhinged draft in the arts centre last year, i think i won that one
    It would have been ;yes; Long time no see :p:

I'm slightly better at drafts these days, which is good since we've started rare-drafting. When I say 'slightly better', I mean I never come last... second or third from last out of about 10 people is common though

ReputationRep:
    Not played MTG in so long now... i fear i might not start over again, so may end up selling off my cards.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been ;yes; Long time no see :p:

I'm slightly better at drafts these days, which is good since we've started rare-drafting. When I say 'slightly better', I mean I never come last... second or third from last out of about 10 people is common though
    Have i ever seen you at card soc?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Depends, have you been going this year? I go nearly every week, I'm the guy with crazy hair and glasses who relies on powerful cards and lots of luck rather than actual strategy :p: Sounds like we were both at last year's Unhinged draft too.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, have you been going this year? I go nearly every week, I'm the guy with crazy hair and glasses who relies on powerful cards and lots of luck rather than actual strategy Sounds like we were both at last year's Unhinged draft too.
    I'm david, i usually end up winning drafts, or losing to mike in the finals :p:

I had long blonde hair
    long brown hair
    short brown hair
    All of teh above
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah, I rarely beat Mike at Magic. There are few who can :p:

ReputationRep:
    uberbump!

recently started playing magic online, so a little bit back into the game now...

any tips for someone who has no idea about the last three sets of cards?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Lorwyn/Morningtide is fairly simple, it's made up of several different tribes (goblins, merfolk, kithkin, elves, shamans etc) that set of horrible combos with each other. The main one being 'kinship', where at the beginning of your upkeep you may reveal the top card of your library and if it shares a creature type with the card that has kinship, crazy things happen (it varies from card to card: opponent discards cards from their hand/library, you gain life etc being examples). Another mechanic is 'clash', where you and your opponent reveal the top card of their library, and if the mana cost of your card is greater then more crazy stuff happens. If it is equal/less than your opponents, or a land card, you lose the clash. You and your opponent then have the choice of putting the revealed cards back on top of your libraries, or on the bottom if you don't need it. So sticking to one tribe is a good idea, though in some cases two can work well together (eg goblins and giants, since there are no cheap giants). Changelings count as all creature types at once, so share all advantages and disadvantages of that.

Shadowmoor/Eventide overlaps slightly in that it uses the same tribes plus a few new ones. Nearly every card is hybrid, meaning you can play them using one of two different coloured mana. Blue/white hybrid creatures, for example, can be payed for by tapping plains and/or islands, and count as both blue and white creatures. Shadowmoor is made up of allied colours (those that are next to each other on the mana wheel): red/black, white/green, blue/black etc; while Eventide is enemy colours (those opposite each other on the mana wheel): black/white, blue/green, red/blue etc. Hybrid makes it much easier to run multicoloured decks, technically you could have a five colour deck with only one type of basic land. :p: Best to stick to two or three though. Each colour has it's own main mechanic; white/blue taps everything, black/white drains opponents health while increasing your own, red/green is big double striking tramplers etc.

Shards of Alara is mostly groups of three colours (known as shards): black/red/blue (Grixis), blue/black/white (Esper), white/blue/green (Bant), green/white/red (Naya) and red/green/black (Jund). Grixis is mainly undead creatures, that return from the graveyard once they're destroyed using the 'unearth' mechanic. Esper is multicoloured artifacts, mostly control + big flying creatures. Bant uses 'exalted'; whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 for each creature you control with exalted (plus all sorts of other nasty bonuses e.g double strike, lifelink etc, depending on the card). Naya is big (5/? or greater) creatures, and combos that revolve around them e.g 'target creature with power 5 or greater gains vigilance/flying etc until end of turn'. Jund makes loads of small counters, saprolings and goblins etc, then sacrifices them in large numbers using the 'devour' mechanic to bring out huge dragons. The expansion Conflux makes it easier to play 5 colour decks by throwing in things like 'basic landcycling', which is like cycling except you search your library for a basic land card as opposed to just taking the top card. In contrast, Alara Reborn makes it desirable to play 2 colour decks (goes nicely with Shadowmoor/Eventide). Most of these two colour cards could go in either of two shards (e.g blue/black zombie artifact cards that would fit either Grixis or Esper nicely).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. A lot of that seems pretty easy, though am i right in thinking that metagame now as far as decks go is very much around creature type/tribe? Alara sounds interesting, as i've always liked playing around with more colours in my deck (even though its not usually a good idea if trying to be competitive). Any particularly powerful individual cards i should be looking out for?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Anyone playing Lorwyn/Shadowmoor blocks will almost certainly be playing tribal. Things to look out for would be the planeswalkers, a new type of permanent. They come with sort of life totals, which you can increase or decrease once per turn for some pretty nice effects. The only ways to get rid of them aside from countering is either through 'destroy target permanent' abilities (as they aren't creatures), or through declaring an attack on their life total instead of that of your opponent. An example would be Ajani Goldmane:

Spoiler:
    Show

In Ajani's case the starting life total is 4, which you could increase to 5 to gain two life or decrease to 3 for the +1 counter ability. Obviously getting it's life total above 6 and then using the avatar ability would be ideal, but people tend to find ways of dealing with it before then. :p: And it isn't affected by summoning sickness, so you can use these abilities on the same turn you play the card. There's one planeswalker for each colour in Lorwyn, four more in Shards of Alara and one in Conflux (Nicol Bolas, one of the most evil cards in existence, and a big reason to fear Grixis). :p:

'Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker' is Mythic Rare, something new to the Shards of Alara block. One out of every eight boosters will contain a mythic rare instead of a regular rare, and so these are a good place to start looking for good cards (though some are just weird). Examples of other good ones are Godsire, Sharuum the Hegemon, Sphinx Sovereign and Sedris, the Traitor King.

ReputationRep:
    So cards that destroy permanents are particularly important? (how often do people use plainswalkers... they look great cards in theory, but who knows in practice (well, you do, and i don't :p: ))... and how easy is it to get Nicol Bolas into play (cost looks huge, but i'm assuming with 2/3 colours coming into play, games last a bit longer competitively).

And mythic rare? Just an excuse by WoTC to make something that people will pay even more ludicrous sums of money for?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    So cards that destroy permanents are particularly important? (how often do people use plainswalkers... they look great cards in theory, but who knows in practice (well, you do, and i don't :p: ))... and how easy is it to get Nicol Bolas into play (cost looks huge, but i'm assuming with 2/3 colours coming into play, games last a bit longer competitively).
    I've seen Planeswalkers used a lot, I'm running Ajani Goldmane and Lilliana Vess in two of my decks and they've proved quite useful. The blue one, Jace Beleren, has a converted mana cost of 3; might not be the best of the planeswalkers, but certainly among the best things you could play on turn three. :yes: Most people I know who have them use them, if nothing else they provide another target for your opponents so that their attacks aren't aimed at your life total. :p: Nicol Bolas is a gamble with such a high mana cost, but there's plenty of mana fixing in Alara (particularly in Conflux).

(Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    And mythic rare? Just an excuse by WoTC to make something that people will pay even more ludicrous sums of money for?
    Pretty much. :p: Unfortunately, about 1/3 of the mythic rares I've gotten in packs have been Mirror Sigil Sergeant - though I was the only one in Aberystwyth's Card Society who had one. :p: A very good card in any blue/white deck, but I'm getting a bit sick of them. :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.