Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I've seen Planeswalkers used a lot, I'm running Ajani Goldmane and Lilliana Vess in two of my decks and they've proved quite useful. The blue one, Jace Beleren, has a converted mana cost of 3; might not be the best of the planeswalkers, but certainly among the best things you could play on turn three. :yes: Most people I know who have them use them, if nothing else they provide another target for your opponents so that their attacks aren't aimed at your life total. :p: Nicol Bolas is a gamble with such a high mana cost, but there's plenty of mana fixing in Alara (particularly in Conflux).

Will be interesting if i can ever afford to find out how the cards play... only problem with MTGO is that its even more expensive than the real thing (you have to pay full price for all packs, no bulk difference, and trading is pretty annoying).

Pretty much. :p: Unfortunately, about 1/3 of the mythic rares I've gotten in packs have been Mirror Sigil Sergeant - though I was the only one in Aberystwyth's Card Society who had one. :p: A very good card in any blue/white deck, but I'm getting a bit sick of them. :p:
    Ah, not good, i hate it when too many expensive cards become neccessary to be competitive (i'm too much of a cheapskate to pay out a lot, particularly for an online game)

ReputationRep:
    Oh my... I didn't realise there was a society dedicated to this sort of thing!

I've been meaning to create a new deck that is hopefully low budget for casual play. Saw a few infinite combo potentials but I'm not really that keen on them. I just want lots of chain effects

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the society is pretty much dead unfortunately (i still have the thread on my watch list though, despite not really playing magic any more).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Since leaving university I'm not in a position where I can play MTG either. The online version never appealed to me. :no: I'm still happy to talk about it and answer any questions if I can though.

ReputationRep:
    Since leaving university I'm not in a position where I can play MTG either. The online version never appealed to me. :no: I'm still happy to talk about it and answer any questions if I can though.
    Same here, i signed up for it, even paid them a $10, but didn't like the way it worked to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Today I bought a new deck: Death March of Eventide!! Except... I have nobody to play it with. My other cards are arriving soon from the US.

At this point I think. Jeez, I've spent more than £50 on cards. Not good at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Today I bought a new deck: Death March of Eventide!! Except... I have nobody to play it with. My other cards are arriving soon from the US.

At this point I think. Jeez, I've spent more than £50 on cards. Not good at all.
    £50 since you started collecting/playing, or is that in one transaction? I know I'm closer to £200-300 personally. :p: I guess the one good thing about not having anyone to play against at the moment is the financial savings. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    £50 since you started collecting/playing, or is that in one transaction? I know I'm closer to £200-300 personally. :p: I guess the one good thing about not having anyone to play against at the moment is the financial savings. :yes:
    Hehe! £50 since collecting. I did however spend £25 on this one transaction to build my new deck! About £10 of the £25 was on a few expensive cards like Creakwood Liege etc.

Researching and constructing is one of the best things about MTG.
    Presenting my new deck! ^^

(Original post by Withering Venus)
    Creakwood Liege x 4 ($3.20)
    Noxious Hatchling x 4 ($.20)
    Tinder Wall x 4 ($.20)
    Voracious Hatchling x 2 ($.30)
    Rendclaw Trow x 2 ($.10)
    Quillspike x 2 ($.40)
    Corrosive Mentor x 2 ($.10)
    Bramblewood Paragon x 2 ($.80)
    Crenellated Wall x 2 ($.20)
    Wickerbough Elder x 2 ($.10)
    Kulrath Knight x 1 ($.20)
    Doomgape x 1 ($.80)
    Witherscale Wurm x 1 ($.30)
    Deity of Scars x 1 ($1)
    Vulturous Zombie x 1 ($.80)

30 monsters

Blowfly Infestation x 4 ($.15)
    Dawn Charm x 4 ($.15)
    Unsummon x 4 ($.10)
    Scar x 4 ($.10)
    Flourishing defences x 2 ($.10)
    Mercy Killing x 2 ($.20)
    Cauldron Haze x 2 ($.10)

20 spells

10 forest
    10 swamps
    2 rupture spires

25 lands
    £200-300 is insane though!? How many decks is that? I've now got two main decks now for casual play.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hehe! £50 since collecting. I did however spend £25 on this one transaction to build my new deck! About £10 of the £25 was on a few expensive cards like Creakwood Liege etc.

Researching and constructing is one of the best things about MTG.
    Presenting my new deck! ^^

£200-300 is insane though!? How many decks is that? I've now got two main decks now for casual play.
    Nice deck.

My friends and I bought booster boxes for Conflux and Alara Reborn, splitting the cost and the cards three ways, so that contributed a fair bit. Add in the fortnightly booster drafts I did in Card Soc at Aberystwyth, that's £7.50 every two weeks up until the prices got even higher. And then there's whatever boosters and theme decks I bought on my own.

I have about 15 decks I think, my friends and I played so often that having one or two would have gotten boring fast. Only around 3-4 of those would stand a chance in a serious tournament though, most of the others are thrown together from spare cards. They work well enough in casual games. :p:

ReputationRep:
    MTG:hahaha:

EDIT:I was bored and thought I would say hello :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I must have spent at least that too on cards, mostly just packs and boxes and stuff though, i've lost count of how many cards i have back at home (in the thousands). Shame they lose value so quickly though
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The moment they're out of standard, they're pretty much worthless. :sadnod: With the obvious exception of the rarer cards from really old sets.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered if it was possible to make profit from a booster pack to fund itself. Have you guys sold cards away before?

ReputationRep:
    standard can suck my ****** then.

random collection of junky and a few decent old cards FTW!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've always wondered if it was possible to make profit from a booster pack to fund itself. Have you guys sold cards away before?
    Most decent rares could be sold for the price of a booster pack or two, though they're usually the ones that are most worth sticking in your deck. :p: It's definitely possible to profit, but there are a lot of worthless packs out there too so it's a bit of a gamble.

I've never sold any cards personally. People I know at uni are more interested in trading, and I'm too lazy to try selling online. :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Firstly: AJ I'm ashamed that you've let one of your societies get so inactive :sadnod:

Secondly: I'm brand new to Magic the Gathering and have no idea where to begin! Hoping to play with my boyfriend but considering I've just taken up days of his life asking him to explain d&d to me I thought I'd get a basic idea of how to play magic before we began this particular game I realise I need a deck of cards, but the card shop is just so full of stuff, what's best to begin with? Is there anything else I'm likely to need?

Thanks for the help guys
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by skipp)
    Firstly: AJ I'm ashamed that you've let one of your societies get so inactive :sadnod:

Secondly: I'm brand new to Magic the Gathering and have no idea where to begin! Hoping to play with my boyfriend but considering I've just taken up days of his life asking him to explain d&d to me I thought I'd get a basic idea of how to play magic before we began this particular game I realise I need a deck of cards, but the card shop is just so full of stuff, what's best to begin with? Is there anything else I'm likely to need?

Thanks for the help guys
    What, I made the last post here, not my fault that nobody here plays it anymore. :p: Myself included unfortunately, since leaving uni, my house doesn't make for ideal places to play card games with people. :sadnod:

I'd suggest getting an intro pack from the Magic the Gathering 2010 core set (or 2011 would be better if you can get it, it's brand new out today). :p: They give you a basic usable deck, hardly tournament level, but it's a start and you can improve it later as you buy more cards; as well as instructions on how to get started and strategy guides etc.

Full list of intro packs here:

2010:

We are Legion (white + red)
    Presence of Mind (blue + black)
    Death's Minions (black + green)
    Firebomber (red + blue)
    Nature's Fury (white + green)

2011:

Blades of Victory (black + white)
    Power of Prophecy (blue + white)
    Reign of Vampirism (black + green)
    Breath of Fire (blue + red)
    Stampede of Beasts (red + green)

A basic idea of what these colours mean, to help you pick the right deck:

White - Generic lawful good guys, knights etc. Uses a lot of healing spells, but has some nasty attacks as well.

Green - Nature, chaotic good, elves etc. Mostly uses huge creatures, and has ways to make small ones bigger too.

Blue - Neutral, logical + technological, mages etc. Uses a lot of cards that counter or control cards your opponent plays.

Black - Evil, power hungry, undead etc. Uses a lot of spells that kill your opponent's creatures.

Red - Chaotic evil, destructive, goblins etc. Burns things with fire. Has plenty of small, fast to play creatures too.

Hope that helps a bit.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What, I made the last post here, not my fault that nobody here plays it anymore. :p: Myself included unfortunately, since leaving uni, my house doesn't make for ideal places to play card games with people. :sadnod:

I'd suggest getting an intro pack from the Magic the Gathering 2010 core set (or 2011 would be better if you can get it, it's brand new out today). :p: They give you a basic usable deck, hardly tournament level, but it's a start and you can improve it later as you buy more cards; as well as instructions on how to get started and strategy guides etc.

Full list of intro packs here:

2010:

We are Legion (white + red)
    Presence of Mind (blue + black)
    Death's Minions (black + green)
    Firebomber (red + blue)
    Nature's Fury (white + green)

2011:

Blades of Victory (black + white)
    Power of Prophecy (blue + white)
    Reign of Vampirism (black + green)
    Breath of Fire (blue + red)
    Stampede of Beasts (red + green)

A basic idea of what these colours mean, to help you pick the right deck:

White - Generic lawful good guys, knights etc. Uses a lot of healing spells, but has some nasty attacks as well.

Green - Nature, chaotic good, elves etc. Mostly uses huge creatures, and has ways to make small ones bigger too.

Blue - Neutral, logical + technological, mages etc. Uses a lot of cards that counter or control cards your opponent plays.

Black - Evil, power hungry, undead etc. Uses a lot of spells that kill your opponent's creatures.

Red - Chaotic evil, destructive, goblins etc. Burns things with fire. Has plenty of small, fast to play creatures too.

Hope that helps a bit.
    That's a shame :sadnod: but I appreciate sometimes the interest in different things dwindles :laugh: a lot of the fantasy gaming (is that the right term?) forums seem to be deserted aswell

But I'm sure if I put my mind to it this society could flourish

But before then I have a game to play, know my lovely love either has 'We are Legion' or will be getting it the second he knows it exists...sounds like exactly the sort of thing he'd want :yep: I'm tempted by 'Reign of Vampirism' & 'Power of Prophecy' & 'Presence of Mind' at the moment which seems convenient :laugh:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Definitely more lack of funding + opponents than dwindling interest for me at least. :yes: I'd love to start playing again when I go back to uni, but the vast majority of my cards are out of date by now, so I'll either have to buy a load of new ones or just stick to friendlies. :p:

The only one of those intro packs I have is Firebomber; a departure from my usual Black/Blue preference, just because I fancied a change. I only got to use it once though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Definitely more lack of funding + opponents than dwindling interest for me at least. :yes: I'd love to start playing again when I go back to uni, but the vast majority of my cards are out of date by now, so I'll either have to buy a load of new ones or just stick to friendlies. :p:

The only one of those intro packs I have is Firebomber; a departure from my usual Black/Blue preference, just because I fancied a change. I only got to use it once though.
    I'm having to stick to friendlies (if I can find some friends :giggle:) for pokemon, it's just too expensive to completely restock one game...got a tin & a booster pack with some random good cards in, but guessing you have the same problem in magic that randomly selected cards aren't always compatible with your deck

I'm trying to think of ways of getting more interest in this type of gaming anyway...it's weird, in my head these games are getting a resurgence but that might be because a) I spend more time in the card shop & b) the card shop is the only toyshop still open here that I can think of & doubles up as a sovereign shop...so it tends to be busy, plus it's tiny so you notice when people are in there...might have a false picture in my head of how popular these things are now :giggle:

Putting the next bit in a spoiler because it's long and rambling:
    Spoiler:
    Show

But saying that more successful societies start by getting a constant stream of newcomers, the pokesoc dipped for ages until the anisoc mass migrated there, the more new members, the more there is to keep conversation going when regulars have to drop out (which is what has happened here & inevitably happens everywhere)

If (and only if :p:) you wanted things to pick up around here I'm thinking utilising the multi-thread feature of the new social groups in 3.8 when we switch over, changing the soc name to something more inclusive (if that was something people wanted might have to ask mods if that's doable) & incorporating more of these sorts of games (as appropriate), then having separate threads for MTG and any other games that fit in with the new get up (sure I could come up with suggestions but I'm a bit of a n00b), appoint one leader to generally rule over and maintain the soc & as many deputy leaders as necessary with either enthusiasm for or knowledge in other major areas to lead those discussions, if some interest is generated it's likely you'll start talking about the game or the society, because that's what tends to happen, thus naturally generating potential new comers, or could go on the offensive and make pretty sigs for everyone :awesome:

Also thinking if the wiki ever gets cleared up (was discussing that mess this morning actually :giggle:) it could be a great tool, do like the pokesoc & get your own article, maybe provide a very basic guide on how to play, or how to set up the game (want the pokesoc to do this, if it works could implement the same here :cool:), in a similar way to how the a-p sig gives us somewhere to send anime n00bs
    However that's a pipe dream because the wiki is not n00b friendly

To be honest this society doesn't need to be active or have lots of members, I'm fairly certain if I ever have a random question I can post here and you'll answer it :cute:, it doesn't need to grow either, but I like having somewhere to discuss my interests...and so far tsr's entertainment societies have been really good for that, more people just means more people to discuss strategies & recent wins and loses with, and being more inclusive means more members in general and more people trying out different things (generating our own n00bs :laugh:) which could be fun if it worked

Now to select a deck and start playing :teeth:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.