Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by skipp)
    *long and rambling*
    Erm... I know nothing about the forum upgrade, or the wiki, or other card games. Heck, even my knowledge of MTG is out of date - they changed a lot of the terminology with the release of 2010, and I only got to use that set once as I said before. :o: But if you could use those things to the advantage of this thread, or a general card games thread or whatever, then I guess that would be good? :dontknow: :p: I doubt I'd stay on as a leader/deputy if things did get more active, it'd make more sense to have someone with knowledge of more recent sets.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Erm... I know nothing about the forum upgrade, or the wiki, or other card games. Heck, even my knowledge of MTG is out of date - they changed a lot of the terminology with the release of 2010, and I only got to use that set once as I said before. :o: But if you could use those things to the advantage of this thread, or a general card games thread or whatever, then I guess that would be good? :dontknow: :p: I doubt I'd stay on as a leader/deputy if things did get more active, it'd make more sense to have someone with knowledge of more recent sets.
    That's the general idea :yep:, the complicated bits were me asking myself the question 'How on Earth would that work' the rest was my slightly embarrassing n00b enthusiasm :o: which seems to happen when I find things I like...but ye even if we left the thread as it was would be good to have at least one person who was up to date around

For now I'll just learn how to play and discuss it with my friends :emog: will have some fun and then see how successful that is

ReputationRep:
    Just registering here as a player
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Just registering here as a player
    Hi :wavey:

Hoping to revive this soc in the near future (bigger and better :cute:) but in the mean time what deck are you currently playing/what's your favorite mana type to use?

I'm proper excited about the new Jace vs. Chandra manga style cards :coma: manga Chandra is gorgeous :love: must get one...especially seeing as I play a red deck

Here's pictures :teeth: not sure about the info on this page but the pictures are pretty :emog:

http://www.geekosystem.com/manga-magic-the-gathering/

ReputationRep:
    I have about 20 decks and pick one at random for each game, so can't really point to one that I'm "currently using"! We play casual, so no restrictions on only using recent cards - my favourite deck is probably my Saproling deck, which is never happy unless it's swinging for three figures of damage. Doubling Season (best card ever printed) to make sure I'm producing lots of them, Coat of Arms to make them ludicrously-sized. Most it's ever swung for was about 20,000 or so. My Luminarch Ascension deck is also fun to play - I'm very Johnny.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    People still play this game?

Back in my Yu-Gi-Oh days I hadseveral decks of this as well but never played in comps.

ReputationRep:
    I still play every now and then at expo's.. No local events..

ReputationRep:
    What? Your location says London - there's an awful lot of Magic played in London!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have about 20 decks and pick one at random for each game, so can't really point to one that I'm "currently using"! We play casual, so no restrictions on only using recent cards - my favourite deck is probably my Saproling deck, which is never happy unless it's swinging for three figures of damage. Doubling Season (best card ever printed) to make sure I'm producing lots of them, Coat of Arms to make them ludicrously-sized. Most it's ever swung for was about 20,000 or so. My Luminarch Ascension deck is also fun to play - I'm very Johnny.
    Heya, sorry for the delay, thought I'd replied to this last week but having a few internet problems

Saproling tokens are becoming a major problem for me at the moment :p: been trying out some Archenemy games for fun there's one particular archenemy scheme card that's getting right on my nerves it's called something along the lines of 'nature protects it's own' and it means that up to 4 0/1 saproling tokens can defend you each turn, until the scheme is broken if you're attacked by 4 or more creatures at once

Sounds great...but what actually ends up happening is my opponents will play 3 or less creatures a turn so I'm left without scheme cards & it turns into a 2 vs. 1 normal game...grrr saproling tokens at one point they managed to kill me with an augury owl & 8 pacifisms between them, a quietus spike and a tonne of counterspells...was incredibly embarrassing

As for the Johnny thing my friend's a bit like that with his blue deck :p:...which will obliterate my red deck utterly and completely every time, especially 2 vs 1 whern he can ditch most of his creatures :giggle:

Hoping to try an eldrazi spawn deck next, very keen on that ;yep:

(Original post by paddy__power)
    People still play this game?

Back in my Yu-Gi-Oh days I hadseveral decks of this as well but never played in comps.
    Pretty much everywhere I go magic (and other card and/or adventure style games) are still really popular :yep: just a case of finding people to play with and a card shop

(Original post by Lord Mirza)
    I still play every now and then at expo's.. No local events..
    You'd be surprised :poke: but I like how there's so much possibility with Magic, so it's fun even if you only know 1 other person to play with
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Heya, sorry for the delay, thought I'd replied to this last week but having a few internet problems

Saproling tokens are becoming a major problem for me at the moment :p: been trying out some Archenemy games for fun there's one particular archenemy scheme card that's getting right on my nerves it's called something along the lines of 'nature protects it's own' and it means that up to 4 0/1 saproling tokens can defend you each turn, until the scheme is broken if you're attacked by 4 or more creatures at once

Sounds great...but what actually ends up happening is my opponents will play 3 or less creatures a turn so I'm left without scheme cards & it turns into a 2 vs. 1 normal game...grrr saproling tokens at one point they managed to kill me with an augury owl & 8 pacifisms between them, a quietus spike and a tonne of counterspells...was incredibly embarrassing

As for the Johnny thing my friend's a bit like that with his blue deck :p:...which will obliterate my red deck utterly and completely every time, especially 2 vs 1 whern he can ditch most of his creatures :giggle:

Hoping to try an eldrazi spawn deck next, very keen on that ;yep:

Pretty much everywhere I go magic (and other card and/or adventure style games) are still really popular :yep: just a case of finding people to play with and a card shop

You'd be surprised :poke: but I like how there's so much possibility with Magic, so it's fun even if you only know 1 other person to play with
    Magic stopped being played here years ago. As did Yu-Gi-Oh, and at one point we had like 20 of the top 50 players in the country playing. I just assumed people had moved on as I don't play anything anymore.

Still have all my cards in my mums attick unless she threw them away when I moved out. My MTG cards must be like 6 years old now I don't even remember how to play.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Magic stopped being played here years ago. As did Yu-Gi-Oh, and at one point we had like 20 of the top 50 players in the country playing. I just assumed people had moved on as I don't play anything anymore.

Still have all my cards in my mums attick unless she threw them away when I moved out. My MTG cards must be like 6 years old now I don't even remember how to play.
    :giggle: that's a shame, but ye it's alive and well elsewhere, suppose you can't play the same game forever though :moon:

I discovered recently that Yu-Gi-Oh's more popular than I originally believed :s: like you I assumed no one was interested in it because I never was...but it's the only thing we have a league for here (unless I can set up a pokemon league next summer) & it seemed quite popular when I visited England aswell
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    :giggle: that's a shame, but ye it's alive and well elsewhere, suppose you can't play the same game forever though :moon:

I discovered recently that Yu-Gi-Oh's more popular than I originally believed :s: like you I assumed no one was interested in it because I never was...but it's the only thing we have a league for here (unless I can set up a pokemon league next summer) & it seemed quite popular when I visited England aswell
    Oh you're from America? Magic is still alive over there but you have much more of a culture of card game/comic books shops than us. I really want to play MTG now maybe I should join the online thing.

I was really good at Yu-Gi-Oh tbh. Well IMO. Went to nationals a few times, placedin a few regionals etc. I just assumed it died out long ago. I could be wrong - I think even the league here died a long time ago.

I suppose I grew out of these things but I never actually got to competitively play magic so would like to give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)

Sounds great...but what actually ends up happening is my opponents will play 3 or less creatures a turn so I'm left without scheme cards & it turns into a 2 vs. 1 normal game...
    Wait, what? A scheme that stays in play doesn't stop you drawing additional schemes too! If you get Nature Shields Its Own, you STILL get another scheme next turn, even while the first is still in play.

ReputationRep:
    Magic stopped being played here years ago.
    Where's "here"? Hope you don't mean the UK, as that's certainly not the case.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh you're from America? Magic is still alive over there but you have much more of a culture of card game/comic books shops than us. I really want to play MTG now maybe I should join the online thing.

I was really good at Yu-Gi-Oh tbh. Well IMO. Went to nationals a few times, placedin a few regionals etc. I just assumed it died out long ago. I could be wrong - I think even the league here died a long time ago.

I suppose I grew out of these things but I never actually got to competitively play magic so would like to give it a go.
    Nope I'm from Jersey :cute: we have one tiny card shop (it's called the little shop oddly enough) so you wouldn't think that sort of thing would be popular, but I suppose on a small island there's not a lot of places to go out so it works :dontknow:

And nationals? :teeth: that sounds like fun, never competitively played Magic either, but there's never been a league for it over here, and only just started playing this year, so might see if there's anything going on when I'm at uni :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Where's "here"? Hope you don't mean the UK, as that's certainly not the case.
    "Here" is a certain part of the UK. I'm sure somewhere in London it still happens but I certainly wouldn't know where.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Nope I'm from Jersey :cute: we have one tiny card shop (it's called the little shop oddly enough) so you wouldn't think that sort of thing would be popular, but I suppose on a small island there's not a lot of places to go out so it works :dontknow:

And nationals? :teeth: that sounds like fun, never competitively played Magic either, but there's never been a league for it over here, and only just started playing this year, so might see if there's anything going on when I'm at uni :yep:
    Where are you going? If it's a big city you have a decent chance of finding something.

Haha they were ok but I mainly just ****** about with mates and didn't concentrate on playing at all so never did well.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wait, what? A scheme that stays in play doesn't stop you drawing additional schemes too! If you get Nature Shields Its Own, you STILL get another scheme next turn, even while the first is still in play.
    I thought you could only draw another scheme when the previous one had ended, which is usually at the start of the next round but for an ongoing scheme it could be a number of rounds before it ends...

If this is not the case I think my chances have just improved dramatically :sexface: *insert evil archenemy laugh here*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Where are you going? If it's a big city you have a decent chance of finding something.

Haha they were ok but I mainly just ****** about with mates and didn't concentrate on playing at all so never did well.
    Kent (Cantebury), pretty certain I've heard of at least one person from there talking about a card shop of some kind...so it's just a case of hunting it down and asking them if anything's going on :cute:

And ah ok :giggle: that sounds like it also would have been fun
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Kent (Cantebury), pretty certain I've heard of at least one person from there talking about a card shop of some kind...so it's just a case of hunting it down and asking them if anything's going on :cute:

And ah ok :giggle: that sounds like it also would have been fun
    I nearly ended up at CCC uni through clearing so would have been there to play you :p:. Sounds like a plan, you are also within an easy commute to London, if Pants knows where you could play :yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.