Turn on thread page Beta

Magic: The Gathering watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Ye I was wondering about this, think it would be a great thing to have for this society if it worked...know there's some form of computer mtg on steam, my boyfriend downloaded it because there was an offer to get a Nissa Planeswalker card at one point, but I have no idea what it actually is and whether it has a pvp function...plus you have to pay for it and then several addons to get all the cards
    As far as i know, its only a very basic version, as in not a whole lot of customisation options, only a few current sets, if its similar to the one on the xbox.

http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php is the game i was on about, though the graphics are basic, and it relies on the players doing all the stuff, like they would in a real game.

http://www.magicworkstation.com/ is the other one i've heard of, but its commercial software, no idea quite how it works.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    As far as i know, its only a very basic version, as in not a whole lot of customisation options, only a few current sets, if its similar to the one on the xbox.

http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php is the game i was on about, though the graphics are basic, and it relies on the players doing all the stuff, like they would in a real game.

http://www.magicworkstation.com/ is the other one i've heard of, but its commercial software, no idea quite how it works.
    Played one game on it, the graphics were lovely, but you were given a set deck to use & it was against the computer...so guessing it's basic as you say, there could be more to it than the bit I looked at...but I don't think so :erm:

I'll look more at those tomorrow when I'm slightly more awake, the first one looked a bit complicated to set up...but think that's just my brain turning off for the night
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    The one time I played the game against other people I really liked it but this was years ago and I don't remember anything other than the basic premise of land/spell/creature and 20 LP. The game mechanics, for example, are somethig I know nothing about.

We could go to the weekly tournaments at that thing like once a month or something though - it's a bit of a communte but there is a hostel near.
    I originally thought it would be really complicated to learn, but all you really need to do is play with someone once and the rules are easy to pick up :yep:

And weekly tournaments are really big in America apparently :yep: if you could do the commute that sounds like fun! :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Played one game on it, the graphics were lovely, but you were given a set deck to use & it was against the computer...so guessing it's basic as you say, there could be more to it than the bit I looked at...but I don't think so :erm:

I'll look more at those tomorrow when I'm slightly more awake, the first one looked a bit complicated to set up...but think that's just my brain turning off for the night
    Yeah, thats definately the same one then, a few set decks, so just boring really.

Apprentice is pretty difficult to use, which is why i never really tried getting into it. Patching it is easy, and its pretty flexible, but you have to know what you are doing... but if you don't mind the simple appearance, and no automation whatsoever, it gives you every card ever to play with (or at least can be patched to).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I made an account on the first one earlier but couldn't work out what to do lol.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, thats definately the same one then, a few set decks, so just boring really.

Apprentice is pretty difficult to use, which is why i never really tried getting into it. Patching it is easy, and its pretty flexible, but you have to know what you are doing... but if you don't mind the simple appearance, and no automation whatsoever, it gives you every card ever to play with (or at least can be patched to).
    That's where the problem lies...me+computers is a bad mix...no idea what I'm doing...might be one to ask mr.skipp, because it's something he might like to use aswell :erm:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    I originally thought it would be really complicated to learn, but all you really need to do is play with someone once and the rules are easy to pick up :yep:

And weekly tournaments are really big in America apparently :yep: if you could do the commute that sounds like fun! :teeth:
    Don't see why not. It would be a money thing more than anything that's the problem but hey once a month can be budgeted for to play a strange card game. I will just buy what ever is the cheapest legal starterdeck
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't see why not. It would be a money thing more than anything that's the problem but hey once a month can be budgeted for to play a strange card game. I will just buy what ever is the cheapest legal starterdeck
    If you have access to more than one card shop shop around aswell...know decks at the one over here were immensely cheaper than the ones in the shop I visited in England...which is odd because it's usually the other way around...most places price them independently so if you're looking for cheap it's good to double check

And ye slightly off topic...I actually need to work out transport and stuff for when I move over...are trains in England expensive?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    If you have access to more than one card shop shop around aswell...know decks at the one over here were immensely cheaper than the ones in the shop I visited in England...which is odd because it's usually the other way around...most places price them independently so if you're looking for cheap it's good to double check

And ye slightly off topic...I actually need to work out transport and stuff for when I move over...are trains in England expensive?
    What I would probably do is be smart and ask someone online what the cheapest legal good deck is and buy all the cards for it as singles and, as they would almost all be commons, it wouldn't cost much more. Get them online =]

Our trains are like the second most expensive in europe and probably up there in the world (I assume this second point).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What I would probably do is be smart and ask someone online what the cheapest legal good deck is and buy all the cards for it as singles and, as they would almost all be commons, it wouldn't cost much more. Get them online =]

Our trains are like the second most expensive in europe and probably up there in the world (I assume this second point).

Ah that sucks, hopefully this rail card that comes with my bank account might take some of the pain out of the price :erm:

And probably, so long as lands are only a few pence (you're probably going to need ~24 of those) you'd be on to a winner there :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Ah that sucks, hopefully this rail card that comes with my bank account might take some of the pain out of the price :erm:

And probably, so long as lands are only a few pence (you're probably going to need ~24 of those) you'd be on to a winner there :yep:
    Upon some quick research:

A) There are formats of MTG which allow all old sets (legacy/Vintage formats I think)
    B) That place uses those formats sometimes such as
    C)during this.

Ah yes the Natwest railcard :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Upon some quick research:

A) There are formats of MTG which allow all old sets (legacy/Vintage formats I think)
    B) That place uses those formats sometimes such as
    C)during this.

Ah yes the Natwest railcard :p:
    Awesome :teeth:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Awesome :teeth:
    I know right. There will be later ones as well I would imagine as I presume you will not be in England by then
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know right. There will be later ones as well I would imagine as I presume you will not be in England by then
    It's actually my moving in day for uni :p: so won't be able to enter but will be in the country :woo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    It's actually my moving in day for uni :p: so won't be able to enter but will be in the country :woo:
    Typical :p:

Is your bf coming with you? (to the country)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Typical :p:

Is your bf coming with you? (to the country)
    He's already been at uni for a year :yep: but he's in a different part of the country so that's why I'm trying to work the trains out :p: went to visit his flat this summer (hence all the references to the English card shop :o:) and really hoping Cantebury will be as nice! :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    He's already been at uni for a year :yep: but he's in a different part of the country so that's why I'm trying to work the trains out :p: went to visit his flat this summer (hence all the references to the English card shop :o:) and really hoping Cantebury will be as nice! :yep:
    Where is he at?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Where is he at?
    His uni's in Plymouth, really lovely place, so much to do!...not quite as nice as Jersey :mmm: but that's setting the standards quite high
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    His uni's in Plymouth, really lovely place, so much to do!...not quite as nice as Jersey :mmm: but that's setting the standards quite high
    That is many hours away from you. Your best bet is to meet him at one of those tournaments and share a hotel room :p:

On a serius note it won't be too hard as long as you have the money and the time. Order in advance for even more of a discount.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That is many hours away from you. Your best bet is to meet him at one of those tournaments and share a hotel room :p:

On a serius note it won't be too hard as long as you have the money and the time. Order in advance for even more of a discount.
    Ye people keep telling me to book in advance, definitely doing that :giggle: It's too expensive to do regularly by the sounds of things...but couldn't visit him at all during term time last year...so we're used to it, and anything'll be an improvement :yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.