Turn on thread page Beta

Magic: The Gathering watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Ye people keep telling me to book in advance, definitely doing that :giggle: It's too expensive to do regularly by the sounds of things...but couldn't visit him at all during term time last year...so we're used to it, and anything'll be an improvement :yep:
    Just take it in turns to visit each other :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What time does FNM start? is it only during night time? O.o XD
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lord Mirza)
    What time does FNM start? is it only during night time? O.o XD

I'm assuming it differs from store to store, and the 'Night' part probably means evening :giggle: but obviously you couldn't hold it in the middle of the day when people are at work/school etc.

I'm thinking it's more of an American thing, my search for Friday Night Magic in England only came up with some carvery in Milton Keynes

edit: Oh wait I just can't use the search function properly found one in Kent :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    :hahaha:AJs nerd soc

ReputationRep:
    LOL What anime is vin's avatar from? O.o
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :tumble:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    :tumble:
    Sorry Paddy I haven't had time to write here lately :puppyeyes: I'll bring it back to life soon I hope so we can talk about our rubbish goblins
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skipp)
    Sorry Paddy I haven't had time to write here lately :puppyeyes: I'll bring it back to life soon I hope so we can talk about our rubbish goblins
    Speak for yourself, my goblins are awesome

How are you finding uni in general? =]

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I started playing MTG when I was in secondary school - the delights of Urza's Block - but stopped when I started my AS levels (end of 2004).

Anyway, my long lost friend from Romania returned to this country a few months ago, and we discovered that we both used to play MTG Now we try to play once a week!

We went to the Pre-release in London for New Phyrexia - it was my first ever tournament and really enjoyed myself! Will certainly go for the next Pre-release

I feel really guilty as I bought a fair amount of cards recently, but am making sure it was just a one-off

As a youngling I used to play mono green, but now I'm more into blue and black.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 7he5haman)
    Hey everyone!

I started playing MTG when I was in secondary school - the delights of Urza's Block - but stopped when I started my AS levels (end of 2004).

Anyway, my long lost friend from Romania returned to this country a few months ago, and we discovered that we both used to play MTG Now we try to play once a week!

We went to the Pre-release in London for New Phyrexia - it was my first ever tournament and really enjoyed myself! Will certainly go for the next Pre-release

I feel really guilty as I bought a fair amount of cards recently, but am making sure it was just a one-off

As a youngling I used to play mono green, but now I'm more into blue and black.
    Awesome! :cute: what's Phyrexia like? Have to say I was put off by mirroden so haven't played in a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Awesome! :cute: what's Phyrexia like? Have to say I was put off by mirroden so haven't played in a while

Hey!

Haha, I've heard bad things about Mirrodin :rolleyes:

I'm finding the Scars block (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Beseiged, New Phyrexia) really enjoyable. It's got quite a lot of good artifacts in it, but not broken like Mirrodin apparently was

The main new abilities in it are Infect (a creature with infect deals damage in the form of poison counters to players, and -1/-1 counters to creatures - if you have 10 or more poison counters, you lose!) and Proliferate (you choose any number of permanents and players with counters on them and give them another counter of the type already there). Which are two abilities which obviously work well together

Zendikar, the block before that, had a set called 'Rise of the Eldrazi' with some insanely huge and powerful creatures

New Phyrexia is good - part of what they've done is take some classic cards and given them a little nasty additional boost, like an unsummon which not only returns a creature to its owners hand, but also makes that player lose one life.

Ooo! They've also introduced a new type of mana in New Phy - Phy-mana. It's exactly the same as normal mana, but, if you wish, you could pay two life instead of e.g. tapping a swamp to play a 1-(phy-)swamp creature! Which can really speed things up
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh yeah, I'm still deputy leader of this place aren't I? :p:

It has to have been nearly two years since I last played MTG with actual cards, due to lack of opponents + money for new cards. Last set I played was Alara Reborn... Still can't get used to the new terms + rule changes that came with 2010. :o: However, my interest in the game has been revived after watching a number of gameplay videos of the new PC game... no, not Tactics, but Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012.

Already love the Yogscast from watching their Minecraft videos, so seeing them play MTG is one of the most awesome (non-anime-related) things I have seen in a long time. I'm currently downloading the demo version of this game (free on Steam); not sure what it includes, but the full version is only £6.99. Thought I'd share that in case anyone is interested.

[Edit] I can now confirm the demo comes with two of the campaign levels and one archenemy game unlocked. You start with a choice of two decks, but every time you defeat an opponent you get their deck. It was a fun way to kill an hour or so, and I'd definitely be interested in purchasing the full version at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    Relatively dead thread :holmes: Shame :erm:

If anyone still plays it'd be nice to revive this. Obviously most of us live far apart, but there are free programs (like cockatrice) which allow you to play vs each other online for free

but yeh, post a reply, quote me, pm me or something - might as well give the mtg society another go eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    But I'm sure if I put my mind to it this society could flourish
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Definitely more lack of funding + opponents than dwindling interest for me at least. :yes: I'd love to start playing again when I go back to uni
    Obviously this was a year or 2 ago, but if you're still interested or want to get back into it there are free online programs (cockatrice is fantastic) that gives you access to all the cards, and allows you to play online vs anyone

It'd be nice to see this society revived as i'm sure tsr has several mtg players lurking around.

I'll certainly be available to play online, or in person for Manchester people, as well as offer deck and general game advice tis up to you guys, your availability and your interest :holmes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Artymess)
    Obviously this was a year or 2 ago, but if you're still interested or want to get back into it there are free online programs (cockatrice is fantastic) that gives you access to all the cards, and allows you to play online vs anyone

It'd be nice to see this society revived as i'm sure tsr has several mtg players lurking around.

I'll certainly be available to play online, or in person for Manchester people, as well as offer deck and general game advice tis up to you guys, your availability and your interest :holmes:
    First time I've heard of such programs. :beard: I'm still into MTG even if I haven't bought any cards for years, I play the occasional game vs AI in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. :yes: The only issue I'd have with playing against others online is that my internet speeds are awful, and that's when it isn't disconnecting every 10 minutes. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    First time I've heard of such programs. :beard: I'm still into MTG even if I haven't bought any cards for years, I play the occasional game vs AI in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. :yes: The only issue I'd have with playing against others online is that my internet speeds are awful, and that's when it isn't disconnecting every 10 minutes. :s:
    You'll be able to download it at cockatrice.de - give it a look and see what you think. Very convenient for playing against distant friends, building decks with cards you haven't obtained yet etc. Don't think it requires super fast broadband or anything either

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I want to get into MTG. I've bought Duels of the Planewalkers so I'm familiar with how to play the game. I want to buy some cards to play in real life though - I loved using the Sole Domination deck but I've heard intro decks aren't all that good. Is the black/white exalted mechanic a good one? I don't want to buy a deck I can't 'expand' on and make decent!

ReputationRep:
    Would love to be part of this if there's a revive. Been playing for a few years now on MTGO and cockatrice. Hit me up on here via pm or add me on either platform with my tsr username

I'm also "around" the Manchester area(20 mins away via train, it's where I go for prereleases), but hoping to move into the area next year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone

this is a quiet thread...

I started playing a few weeks ago, but love the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimmy)
    hello everyone

this is a quiet thread...

I started playing a few weeks ago, but love the game
    How have you found the learning curve? Some players, even after playing for a few years still don't understand half of the mechanics to a good enough level. I can tell you that one from experience!

Is anyone here playing standard? What's your local meta like?

Let's see if we can get some conversation going in this thread again..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.