Turn on thread page Beta

Magic: The Gathering watch

(Original post by Eru)
    Well i never used burn primarily in any of my decks, but i always put a couple of spells in when i was playing red, just to have the option available (mostly breath of darigaaz as mass removal against weenie/swarm decks).

Well yeah, i agree with that, though i prefer personally playing a benzo/reanimator sort of deck with the mongrel, so with the Black/Green combo i can also play the ever annoying spiritmonger.
    Spiritmonger was a *****. Really. For about two years. If I didn't kill them by turn five, that thing really spoiled it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Is it kind of like Yu gi oh?
    :|

*cries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here.
    Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...
    Its certainly not like Yu-Gi-Oh, its far more complex. Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty much all about having the biggest creatures you can find with some monster reborns to win the match easily, as theres little scope for strategy in it. Its a little kids card game. Magic has alot of opportunities for playing intelligently and strategically, so its for people who have grown out of that phase (although, and i may get alot of stick for this, playing games like Yu-Gi-Oh etc can actually help develop strategy in playing Magic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Spiritmonger was a *****. Really. For about two years. If I didn't kill them by turn five, that thing really spoiled it for me.
    Which is, of course, the power of the Benzo/Reanimator, as you can get a turn two or three spiritmonger with it... but yeah, if your on the other end of it, it isn't all that fun to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I have recently moved away from the big 6/5 fatties and I tend to spend max 3 mana on creatures, possibly pumping them up with something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    I quote, from www.misetings.com:

Spiritmonger Causes Bowel Movement
    By: MB - September 19, 2001
    In a recent Providence PTQ, an unnamed man was fortunate enough to resolve not one, but two Spritmongers, back-to-back. This awesome display of force allegedly caused his opponent to ... um.. "sh*t his pants".

A 6/6 regenerator for 3BG, Spiritmonger can safely be described as a "sick beast." Spiritmonger is the only known creature in Magic that has yet caused this affect on an opponent, although some Magic theorists reckon that a Morphling could, under the right circumstances, have a similar effect.

Brian Kibler, Pro Tour Semifinalist and current favorite to win this years Magic Invitational, commented, "If someone played monger, monger vs me i may SAY i sh*t my pants, but i don't think i actually would."

:laugh: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    Its certainly not like Yu-Gi-Oh, its far more complex. Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty much all about having the biggest creatures you can find with some monster reborns to win the match easily, as theres little scope for strategy in it. Its a little kids card game. Magic has alot of opportunities for playing intelligently and strategically, so its for people who have grown out of that phase (although, and i may get alot of stick for this, playing games like Yu-Gi-Oh etc can actually help develop strategy in playing Magic)
    I had some deck or other in yu-gi-oh, but I didnt like it really. With magic, you can buy a starter deck and get started straight away. You an also win with lots of wee critters rather than just a few big dragon things. Because of this with yu-gi-oh you have to shell out loads for lots of big cards. I didnt want to so I lost every time - with yu-gi-oh the deck with more powerful creatures nearly always wins.

With Magic I usually played with either a big green deck with lots of trample etc. or a deck with lots of little creatures. Although I had lots of custom decks my favourite was almost completely based around an artifact starter deck (cant remember which - prelude to the fifth dawn series I think or possibly fifth dawn itself). The creatures had the ability to pass on their strength/defense to other artifacts on the field when they died so my pponent always knew that by dfending himself he was only preparing for a big hit in the future.

ReputationRep:
    And what is Spirtmonger? Im afraid I dont have a clue.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Another good card is platinum angel! it's only 4:4, but as long as it is in play you can't lose and your opponent can't win!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here.
    Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...
    I'm afraid not, but the life score thing is similar in the two games. I personally don't like yu gi oh.

As for explaining how it goes... I'd be here all day! you would really need a starter set with a guided game to learn how to play.

ReputationRep:
    My group worked it out as we went (though I had the greatest general knowledge of the rules). To the date when we stopped, I was still reaching new heights of understanding.

In all honesty, Magic is to Yu-gi-oh as a candle to the sun.

And what is Spirtmonger? Im afraid I dont have a clue
    Off the top of my head (don't take this as truth, as I can't be arsed searching), I remember:

Spiritmonger
    3GB
    Creature
    6/6

G: Spiritmonger's colour becomes the colour of you choice until EOT.
    B: Regenerate Spiritmonger.

Whenever Spiritmonger does damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Spiritmonger.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, nasty.

Thanks for the info.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by staylor)
    Ooh, nasty.

Thanks for the info.
    Still no match for Denisen of the Deep, though.

ReputationRep:
    Just dug out my old decks (hidden from stealing brothers). My favourite (the 'transference' starter deck) was missing though, and I was annoyed to find that the Pressure Cooker Odyssey box was full of yu-gi-oh cards :mad:.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yu-gi-oh cards :eek: must have been quite a shock :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It certainly was! And they have terrible names as well.

On the bright side, I found my favourite old combination. The enchantment (black I think) which makes the enemy lose 2 life every time he puts a card in his graveyard. This, coupled with traumatize which makes them disose of the top half of their deck - bye bye 60 life .

ReputationRep:
    Im decided - Im buying more cards tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    good for you have your exams finished yet? mine finished today

ReputationRep:
    My last one was almost a week ago now , though Ive only just found the tim to go to Leeds .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.