Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    WU Control was a cool deck, though I wrecked it up by adding Rebels. I liked Rebels so much, despite how they sucked.

If you was the guy who played WUG Control, meh, didn't try that much, playing with more than 2 colours is risky unless you have the duallands (Keeper?).
    i was the tenth postion, I went 3 colours because it was so damn slow that it could run on islands for the majourity of the game.

ReputationRep:
    LOL magic, what an old-skool game
    Unfortunately i stopped playin around the time 'judg(e)ment' deck was released

i'm suspecting that this thread is made up of 100% males, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_b)
    What?! Chicks dig Mtg, right?!?! :confused: :p:
    I'm presume all males too.

I only ever played with a couple of friends, we all really enjoyed it but reading this makes me realise how much scope it had that we completely missed out on by not ever playing with anyone outside of our little group.
    Still kinda wish I was into it or WarHammer, in an embarrassed, back of my mind, nerdish way!
    Good times.

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago i decided to try making a new tinker deck, with all the new affinity for artifact cards about and stuff... talk about overpowered! Its so totally immense its unbelievable... its probably all been restricted or banned for tournaments (not that i keep up with that any more to be honest), but for casual play, only an artifact hoser deck (red with alot of artifact destruction or something), has any chance at all.

ReputationRep:
    Or a goblin deck perhaps?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by doctor_b)
    LOL magic, what an old-skool game
    Unfortunately i stopped playin around the time 'judg(e)ment' deck was released

My sister plays MTG, but she has no cards (can't be bothered buying them)
    She always wants to borrow my cards :mad:

ReputationRep:
    That's her Christmas present sorted then!

ReputationRep:
    hey you guys checked out ravnica? i know yu r old school n all but still it's worth a check.... for instance it combines red n white which was previously almost impossible....

ReputationRep:
    Yay, loads of people who play magic! I am relatively new to it but it's pretty awesome. I got a ninth edition core set which gave me a free deck on magic online, which is bloody addictive - this meant that I spent no money online but have managed to build an impressive collection by online trading despite never having put any money in!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, Magic Online, hadn't heard of that. May have to check it out.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really get the game. I grasp the concept that you have to play cards which have 'battle points' or something similar. I suppose it's like Yu-Gi-Oh, or Pokemon card games, right?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    I dont really get the game. I grasp the concept that you have to play cards which have 'battle points' or something similar. I suppose it's like Yu-Gi-Oh, or Pokemon card games, right?
    More like Yu-Gi-Oh! than pokemon, in the fact that each player has life points as well as the cards. But there is a lot more rules, cards and strategies in MtG than either of the other games, which are aimed at younger players

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree, i think MTG is more like pokemon in its mechanics, because in Yu-Gi-Oh you can just use the strongest monsters with pretty much no cost (your not gonna see a deck with Gaia the Fierce Knight if a player has a Blue Eyes White Dragon), while in MTG and Pokemon, you pay for power in some way (casting costs in MTG, and energy requirements in Pokemon).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Eru)
    I would disagree, i think MTG is more like pokemon in its mechanics, because in Yu-Gi-Oh you can just use the strongest monsters with pretty much no cost (your not gonna see a deck with Gaia the Fierce Knight if a player has a Blue Eyes White Dragon), while in MTG and Pokemon, you pay for power in some way (casting costs in MTG, and energy requirements in Pokemon).
    I never thought of that :stupido2:

ReputationRep:
    It's a card battle game, as is Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. They all have differences and similarities I guess, with MtG being potentially the most complex with strategy and rules, as it's not aimed at younger children. Not that any children I know with any cards know how to play with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeigh)
    It's a card battle game, as is Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. They all have differences and similarities I guess, with MtG being potentially the most complex with strategy and rules, as it's not aimed at younger children. Not that any children I know with any cards know how to play with them.
    I'd disagree it is the most complex. Something like Legend of the Five Rings i've never managed to get my head around (not that i've tried too hard, but still), but out of the mainstream (as mainstream as these sort of card games get), MTG is certainly the most complex.
    My 9 year old brother has MTG cards, and can play pretty well (under my training ), so about the not being able to play it part, i disagree, but i understand what you mean, alot of kids would just be after the 300/300 First Strike, Trample, Flyers with a casting cost of 500RRRRRRGGGGGGBlBlBlBlBlBlBuBuB uBuBuBuWWWWWWXXXXXXXXXXXXX lol

ReputationRep:
    Never thought I'd chuckle at a M:tG joke!

Yeah, not the most complex, but of the three we were talking about. I'm sure there are plenty much more complicated than the very few I've looked into.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, not the most complex, but of the three we were talking about. I'm sure there are plenty much more complicated than the very few I've looked into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeigh)

lol, never thought that i'd tell one... at least its a bit different to the usual jokes about people who play MTG...

Though i swear some day they'll make a card like that...

ReputationRep:
    I've just propsed the starting of a magic: the gathering society, i hope everyone joins up, and this thread becomes active with MTG based discussion

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.