SUBJECTS: Lit. studies, History, Sociology, Psychology. ANY HELP?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
JayUK
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If you can help with any advise on the Access courses subjects of: History, Lit. studies, Sociology and Psychology then I would appreciate it. Thanx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If you want to get a job at the end of them then they aren't very useful, unless you are going to a top flight university/ you get a very good grade.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
This is a reply to Jay and a rsponse to the other correspondent who criticised further education in these subjects

Politics, social science or history courses ARE valuable. Indeed, they provide skills that other subjects do not. Anybody can get media training at a future stage in their career but a Politics course combined with media givs you an extra edge in the marketplace. .... not because of the knowledge of Politics per se but because f the skills of evaluating, analysing and reporting on facts or social phenomena with judgment and flair.In my experience as a university lecturer (and I am not in a Cambridge-style university), I have the greatest pleasure in finding out that my students are doing quality postgraduate degreesin the bigger instittions after doing well on my courses ... or working wth the marketing of maajor national news magazines ... or working in some other excting setting.

There is qualit teaching and a much friendlier atmosphere in some of the new universities and they do take students with access qualifications.

DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY DISMISSIVE ASSERTIONS OR RUMOURS - phone around and - if posible, visit these universities to see for yourself.

I teach Politics at Huddersfield University (Our QAA score was higher than LSE's = and good teaching is what students want to hear about. Contact our admissions tutor ([email protected]) and read the QAA Report on our high teaching standards (look for Politics in the subject review reports at www.qaa.ac.uk).
Derek Lynch ([email protected] - ph 01484 472405/ 01484 472290).
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
hmm...
"Huddersfield University's score was higher than LSE's" - or so said the last person to post to this board.

I checked out the QAA website.

Here's how Huddersfield was assessed by QAA:
2 subjects = Excellent (Music and Applied Social Work, hardly traditional intellectual disciplines)
15 subjects = Approved
5 subjects = Satisfactory

And LSE:
6 subjects = Excellent
8 subjects = Approved
1 subject = Satisfactory

I don't quite see how you can assert that Huddersfield performed better than LSE in the QAA. I certainly know that in other indicators of university performance (RAE, etc...), LSE registers much higher marks than Huddersfield.

So, while I agree with your argument about the value of studying the social sciences (politics, sociology, etc...), I don't think that you need to denigrate other universities with seemingly faulty statistics and arguments.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
huddersfield better than london school of economics - HAHAHAHA

how many world leaders has huddersfield educated (if you can even call it an education)?

and lse? tons

though i must admit that if you want a job in the symphony, huddersfield is probably better than london school of eocnomics

cheers!
JayUK
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
has everyone gone off the point to my original thread?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by JayUK
has everyone gone off the point to my original thread?

Yeah, I think that they have.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Some commentators suggest that we will end up with far too many people with media studies degress, because they are cheap and fulfill govt targets,and far too few vocational,technical, useful grads. Do you think that this is the case?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
At my school we've just started doing Media Studies at GCSE level. It is becoming the most popular subject I agree. Everyone wants a job in the media
willow
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
what is wrong with you lot?, it doesn't matter which uni has better pass rates, what matters is that people are passing, also the original post I believe was asking if anyone had any ideas on the subjects mentioned not who has the biggest brain (by the sounds of it none of you use what you have in any usefull way anyhow).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.09%
No (520)
65.91%

Watched Threads