Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In anyone's opinion what is the best UK city for nightlife? Take into consideration that I'm a student and don't want to have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for drinks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    In anyone's opinion what is the best UK city for nightlife? Take into consideration that I'm a student and don't want to have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for drinks!
    Any big University town/city is likely to have a good nightlife. However the prices are likely to be more expensive at the weekend - to get the most out of your money you want to go out on weekday 'student' themed nights. There is a bar here in Norwich that on thursday nights offers trebles (as in 3 shots of malibu + coke etc) for £2 - which is very cheap, considereing at some of the clubs and bars here charge nearly £3 for a single on friday and saturday nights.

But I think Norwich is a very good city for its nightlife - considering the city itself isn't huge, there are tonnes and tonnes of bars and clubs (at least 8 clubs, many many bars) all around the city centre. I haven't been to half of them yet (damn 9am lectures!).

ReputationRep:
    what the!!!!!!! 3 for 2 pounds????????? a student man could be a king there, u got a map???? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    what the!!!!!!! 3 for 2 pounds????????? a student man could be a king there, u got a map???? lol
    There's a place near me in southampton called Jesters. It's a real **** hole but on monday nights they do 50p a pint and 50 p a shot!

ReputationRep:
    There's a place near me in southampton called Jesters. It's a real **** hole but on monday nights they do 50p a pint and 50 p a shot!
    This place is called Mischief and its quite good. Well its bloody good for £2 for a treble.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Manchester has a good night life

ReputationRep:
    that sux, i live in bristol and i was at a resurant the other week and was paying £4.50 for single malibus, total rip off,,,,,

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Manchester has a good night life
    yip its well good!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    that sux, i live in bristol and i was at a resurant the other week and was paying £4.50 for single malibus, total rip off,,,,,
    You want to come to Norwich - Liquid on monday nights £1 a drink before 11, monday nights at Brannigans - shots £1, double + mixer £2, most pints £1. Students are well catered for here!!!

ReputationRep:
    London has the best and widest variety of nightlife, however it is absolutely extortionate - in Kensington it was £6 for a vodka and coke :eek: :eek: :eek: offly enough i went home stone cold sober... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    London has the best and widest variety of nightlife, however it is absolutely extortionate - in Kensington it was £6 for a vodka and coke :eek: :eek: :eek: offly enough i went home stone cold sober... :rolleyes:
    Yeah thats why I didn't apply for uni in London

But the nightlife here is really really good, better than Reading (which was expensive enough) so I've always got plently to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Yeah thats why I didn't apply for uni in London

But the nightlife here is really really good, better than Raading (which was expensive enough) so I've always got plently to do.
    yeah, my mum was like "it's ok, u can apply for uni in london and live at home to save money!" fat chance...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    :shudder:
    Managed to study in Southampton for 3 yrs without once resorting to the crap hole that is Festers :ick:

ReputationRep:
    there is a club in rochester and drinks are £1.50

ReputationRep:
    Leeds, many many cheap student type places with lots of variety, although theres the usual problem that its highly expensive and full of student hating locals at the weekends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Leeds, many many cheap student type places with lots of variety, although theres the usual problem that its highly expensive and full of student hating locals at the weekends!
    I think you'll find that in most places - lots of the clubs in Norwich have over 21's on Friday or Saturday nights to deter students from going, plus the fact its more expensive as well. Which is why its much better on weekday nights when its aimed for students - only problem is having to get up at 9am nearly every morning, so i can't go OTT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    :shudder:
    Managed to study in Southampton for 3 yrs without once resorting to the crap hole that is Festers :ick:

yep, it's a crap hole, but better than the townie **** places like Ikon!

ReputationRep:
    yep, it's a crap hole, but better than the townie **** places like Ikon!
    We have an Ikon/Diva place here as well, and its a total s***hole!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    We have an Ikon/Diva place here as well, and its a total s***hole!!!

they are crap! We have a jumpin jaks as well. Makes you feel like you're in Butlins that place!

ReputationRep:
    Hull is very good, even on a Saturday night you can go out with £20 and still get a take away + taxi home .

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.