What's it like to live there? (Glamorgan uni) Watch

tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi all,

I've applied for Glamorgan uni and they've requested for me to come for an interview on the 4th of November.

I was just wondering from a student's point of view, how is living in that area? What's the nightlife like and the atmosphere as a whole?

Cheers
stelle1818
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Will you be attending the Cardiff campus or Pontypridd if you attend Glamorgan?

I live in Cardiff and love it. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else if I had the chance. I'm not quite sure what Pontypridd is like for nightlife and bars and stuff because I don't have reason to do so outside Cardiff but I believe its average with everything you need. Cardiff is not too far away by train. Cardiff nightlife is excellent and also you have the new St Davids 2 opening with excellent shopping including the huge new apple store
stelle1818
Report 9 years ago
oh btw i forgot i'm not a student there yet but I am applying. but I thought i'd give you my view of living in south wales
grey_sm0ke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Academically errr (I only go there cos my grades where pretty *****!) but that aside uni life down here is pretty great.. though have to put up being sandwiched in the union for a year until they finish the new union next september. Tho during freshers, they do hire out a marquee which is pretty cool.

Most of the time were pretty much down in Cardiff.
Mon - Oceanas,
Tue - Glam (union sells return tickets for them so you can take a bus from here)
Wed - Score at the union,
Thurs - Walkabout,
Fri - Tiger Tiger,
Sat - Revolutions,
Sun - day off.. haha. lounging around/laundry day/dvd in flat etc etc..

Havent been out much in ponty seeing as theres not much out there. Trains from cardiff stops running at half 11 so be prepared to fork out around £30 for a cab back to trefforest. It is quite a convinience living in cardiff tho you do get to miss out on a lot of stuff going on in the campus as well.
tonberry
Rep:
?
(Original post by stelle1818)
Will you be attending the Cardiff campus or Pontypridd if you attend Glamorgan?

I live in Cardiff and love it. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else if I had the chance. I'm not quite sure what Pontypridd is like for nightlife and bars and stuff because I don't have reason to do so outside Cardiff but I believe its average with everything you need. Cardiff is not too far away by train. Cardiff nightlife is excellent and also you have the new St Davids 2 opening with excellent shopping including the huge new apple store
Well I've applied for Law which I believe is the Treforest campus in Pontypridd which seems to be in the middle of nowhere :P I live in Swansea right now and I like it here and I've applied for Swansea, but I've heard Glamorgan is quite prestigious for Law
tonberry
Rep:
?
(Original post by grey_sm0ke)
Academically errr (I only go there cos my grades where pretty *****!) but that aside uni life down here is pretty great.. though have to put up being sandwiched in the union for a year until they finish the new union next september. Tho during freshers, they do hire out a marquee which is pretty cool.

Most of the time were pretty much down in Cardiff.
Mon - Oceanas,
Tue - Glam (union sells return tickets for them so you can take a bus from here)
Wed - Score at the union,
Thurs - Walkabout,
Fri - Tiger Tiger,
Sat - Revolutions,
Sun - day off.. haha. lounging around/laundry day/dvd in flat etc etc..

Havent been out much in ponty seeing as theres not much out there. Trains from cardiff stops running at half 11 so be prepared to fork out around £30 for a cab back to trefforest. It is quite a convinience living in cardiff tho you do get to miss out on a lot of stuff going on in the campus as well.
That's what I'm worried about, I don't want to go to a desolate area for uni :\
MioneFred
Report 9 years ago
Well, I wouldn't call it "desolate"! Mostly cheap to get around - we're only 20 minutes from Cardiff for £3.30 single, and trains run roughly every 10 minutes or so. Though grey_sm0ke is right, trains stop before you'd be coming home from a night out. Usually if you can buy tickets from the SU (like Oceana on a Monday), there'll be a bus that takes you there and back for a little more.

The atmosphere is brilliant here - I made friends with most of my block (I'm in Halls) ridiculously quickly.

I haven't really been out in Ponty either, but I know there's good pubs down in Trefforest itself, and a Wetherspoons in Pontypridd. There's usually something going on in the SU Bar as well, and film nights on Thursday evenings show a good selection (I've heard, I have a workshop then).

There is stuff to do here, definitely. We're not out in the wilds of nowhere!
Glamorgan_Boy
Report 9 years ago
Law is very good at Glamorgan. I am a first year and I personally think Glamorgan is superb for Law with very friendly lecturers.

Glamorgan Uni isn't isolated at all. There are trains to cardiff which run every 10 or so minutes and it is only 20 minutes away. Treforest is a nice place with a few pubs, a cinema and lots of other stuff. Cardiff is full of clubs and pubs ( Oceana is amazing) . We have a new SU next year which is gonna be awesome and by what I have heard it is going to be one of the best unions in the UK which sounds good. I am living in Halls which are quite small as the rooms are not the biggest but they are ok .

Anything else you wanna know send me a pm.
xxjess91xx
Report 9 years ago
I'm sitting my my Glamorgan Court room now lol. I'll be honest there's a lot of ups and downs about Glamorgan. I'm on the Trefforest campus. I love a lot here, provided you have a great group of mates you can have a good night every night. This year the union is a bit **** but by the time you're here there will be the new union. Cardiff isn't far away, just train it down there for a couple quid and you've got shopping and clubbing there, obviously last train is like 11 so you have to get a taxi back which is about 30, or you go to Oceana mondays (£9 travel and entry, and you skip the queue)
Glamorgan court is ok, I've had a few problems in my flat, all I can say is keep it clean and don't wreck it and anything that goes wrong go to accom (keep going til they do something).
Trefforest is good for going out, if you have a good group, I generally go to Raffles, at the moment they have student night with cheap drinks, rock night which is just a great night to have a laugh. There's pick and shovel which I prefer for eating during the day rather than drinking.
I suggest you make friends with someone with a car for lifts to a supermarket or do online deliveries, the tesco run on foot is a great idea til you're walking back up the hill.
kirstyleigh152
Report 9 years ago
I'm a first yr law student in glamorgan and tbh it was not my first choice when i applied initially. However, i did alot of research and also have some friends studying law in swansea. For the last few yrs Glamorgan has had better results in their law degree than swansea has! There is a higher percentage of students receiving a first in glam than in swansea. It is in Treforest, which is a nice place to live. It is nice and quiet and has a few student dedicated pubs. You have the train right next to the uni if you want a night out in cardiff and also the union do buses into cardiff on a monday night.. aimed at people going to oceana, but you can go out anywhere in cardiff! It doesn't really matter much that the nightlife in treforest isn't very good anyway as the union have events most nights. Next year we'll have the all new union open which will be awesome!
Comparing opinions of my friends in swansea, i think glam is better as the lecturers actually teach you! From what ive heard swansea lecturers tend to give you the work and tell you to go off and do it yourselves and are not very helpful! Where as the glam lecturers are very helpful and are always on hand if you have a problem, their very easy to get hold of! They also have their own court room which swansea does not! Plus there are plenty of materials available!
As for accommodation, my best mate went to swansea and when he came to visit me, he was impressed with the accommodation! The new Glamorgan Court accommodation is very good! My room was bigger than his and also had an en suite like his however, it was a few hundred quid cheaper a year!! I've never had a problem with my room. Also in your second year if you look to rent a house then there are loads of streets around the uni which are very close!
Swansea was always my first choice in the beginning until i actually did my research and visited glam! Now from what i have heard from friends and what i have experienced in glam I am glad i came here! There's always something to do as the union has events practically every night!!! If you don't fancy the union then just as swansea, glam has good students pubs with cheap drink, food and live music and also has a big cinema, arcade and bowling alley around the corner!
The only thing i hate about glam is the killer hill upto accommodation.. but thats cos im lazy lol!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of South Wales
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
    Sat, 11 Jan '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads