Turn on thread page Beta

History Unit 6 Edexcel - how was it for you?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just got home from doing the history unit 6 - did the mid-tudor crisis questions - and have to say i think it went quite well! sources weren't great and part of my answers were really narrative, especially for part b but otherwise think it was ok! how about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loobyloo)
    Just got home from doing the history unit 6 - did the mid-tudor crisis questions - and have to say i think it went quite well! sources weren't great and part of my answers were really narrative, especially for part b but otherwise think it was ok! how about everyone else?

Think i did ok would rather of had Edward then Mary and some better sources had a couple all about pole

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - especially for quest b - 4/5 sources about Mary - not going to give a very balanced answer for the question!

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from answering the question on Chartism in Britain 1830-50, and I thought it went rather well! Nice sources for once, nice questions too. Wrote a little too much for question A, which made B a little rushed, didn't get everything i could into it, but i left the exam room with a smile, so thats good enough for me!

Anyone see the nazi question? I took a glimpse and it was something about 'hitlers charisma' or something wasn't it?! Interesting question :p:

Best of luck in the results to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I did the Lenin questions and I didn't think the sources were too good either. Obviously a theme throughout the paper! lol It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be although I'm glad its over.
    x x

ReputationRep:
    It went okay, they were good questions, but I don't think I used the sources to my full advantage, especially in question B. There was basically one source you could use on question B for the reign of Edward. I don't think I wrote enough, or that I was that relevant. I was like you, quite narrative, and I probably used my own knowledge more than the sources in question B, but I made sure I referred to all five, even if it was a sentence.

My mind basically went blank. I have now realised I barely did any comparisons between sources either, and babbled on about economy and social stuff in hardly any detail as I was running out of time.

I have an Elizabeth resit to do on Friday and I basically need 43 out of 210 overall from these two papers for a B. I really really hope I get it, as today didn't go as well as I hoped.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, a fellow mid-tudor crisis person! What did you put? I was really pleased with the first one, as I'd revised it the night before. Part b was okay, I guess, although A was better! My hand started cramping early on though, as usual, I wrote tons!

Linking with the sources, for a I put:

* Pole didn't have legatine com. from the Pope
    * Pole's 'top-down strategy ' - perhaps short-term measures would
    have been more effective etc
    * Allegedly counter-productive nature of persecution
    * The brevity of the reign - v. imp, time above all needed, and that's
    the one thing they had in short supply. Contrast to Elizabeth I.
    * Examined the strength of protestantism by 1553 - how far
    a 'problem' for Mary, why difficult to say - and impact
    on Mary's reign (wills, parish records, where was prot strong and
    why, where catholicism strong, why)
    * Historiography
    * Struggles with Parliament - how serious, legislation passed,
    cooperation/conflict
    * Analysis of just how far these really were problems for Mary etc
    and more points but I can't remember the rest!

for part b, sources tagged on to the right (hopefully) points:

* Huge section on historiography - whole concept of mid-tudor
    crisis, how it had changed, developed, why, what has been
    assessed etc - how much boils down to semantics, whether a
    problem is 'acute' or 'serious' etc
    * when problems became 'critical' - eg 1549, 1553, last few years
    of Mary's reign
    * Examined the idea of Mary as unskilled, a misfit, politically inept
    etc and how much truth there is in that
    * Did any really bring the country to ruin, damage dynasty etc
    * Finished off by stating that while we can't overstate the
    revisionist case, there were many positive achievements (North,
    Mary social/eco reforms etc, and how many supposedly
    'Elizabethan' successes used as a contrast to the sterility of
    Mary's reign were actually planned under Mary, like the recoinage)
    * So seems difficult to believe that all of the people in England, all
    of the time, were experiencing a continual crisis - rather, crisis
    points, temporary, only in 1549 and 1553
    * So an interesting & useful concept, but not one we should
    accept unquestioningly. (Pendril-esque flourish) if anyone or
    anything was the victim of a sustained crisis during the period,
    twas the church. Religious divisions would in time lead to a
    crisis, not the mid-tudor crisis, but the mid-stuart one.

...and more mid-tudor related babble hehe! Not so happy with my part b answer, but oh well. Hopefully I picked up enough marks for part a.

ReputationRep:
    White_redrose your answers seem a lot better than mine!

I want to cry.

ReputationRep:
    yeah your part a sounds amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    I think a was okay for me (I did Nazi Germany btw), but for b I don't think I wrote enough...3 pages for a and only 4 for b, when most people did 6, but I can never think of much to say for the b question! Oh well, hopefully I didn't do TOO badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    Just got back from answering the question on Chartism in Britain 1830-50, and I thought it went rather well! Nice sources for once, nice questions too. Wrote a little too much for question A, which made B a little rushed, didn't get everything i could into it, but i left the exam room with a smile, so thats good enough for me!

Anyone see the nazi question? I took a glimpse and it was something about 'hitlers charisma' or something wasn't it?! Interesting question :p:

Best of luck in the results to everyone!
    CHARTISM
    OMG!! oh did u find the time 2 look thru the other modules, i scribbled stuff dwon right until the end!! dunno how i think i did, i agree bout the question but wasn't too sure about the sources for part B. they didnt really seem to tie in with any chartisit weakness, or leaders divisions etc!! so used loads of own knowlegede which is bad cos ur answer is supposed to be source driven isn't it?? im so scared about results day and finally.. what was ur unit 5 paper?? My was state and the poor! and it went soooo badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisaf6288)
    CHARTISM
    OMG!! oh did u find the time 2 look thru the other modules, i scribbled stuff dwon right until the end!! dunno how i think i did, i agree bout the question but wasn't too sure about the sources for part B. they didnt really seem to tie in with any chartisit weakness, or leaders divisions etc!! so used loads of own knowlegede which is bad cos ur answer is supposed to be source driven isn't it?? im so scared about results day and finally.. what was ur unit 5 paper?? My was state and the poor! and it went soooo badly
    I was scribbling till the end, i kept writing after she said "pens down" as i had to finish the sentence! I just managed to flick through the book when they collected the papers in afterwards. Also i didn't do unit 5; we did "Roman Britain" coursework earlier in the year which was suprisingly boring considering it involved the Romans... why did it go so wrong??

For chartism i basically learnt a few great phrases last night such as "chartism represented the fundamental belief that economic expolitation and political subservience could be put right by Parliamentary reform," and "Perhaps this was a naive belief that Constitutional Reform would automatically provide socio-economic enrichment...." and then used the sources to back this up... I also heard about "rostows model of economic protest" and backed that up with quotes to say that chartism died down in times of economic prosperity... or so im willing to believe, sod what really happened lol

yeah, i actually learnt that and used it today lol. Even managed to slip in a quote from O'Connor about "one torch is worth 1000 speeches" or something. God damn, talk about last minute cramming!

I'm sure you did fine, and really, try not to worry about it anymore, we can't do anything else about it sadly Have a look at the chartist thread down the page a bit btw.

be confident and happy and... go get some ice-cream, it always helps!

Good luck for exam results day/ any other exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    I think a was okay for me (I did Nazi Germany btw), but for b I don't think I wrote enough...3 pages for a and only 4 for b, when most people did 6, but I can never think of much to say for the b question! Oh well, hopefully I didn't do TOO badly
    I wouldnt worry, my A is always about the same length as my B and i did ok for my mocks! I thought the questions were quite nice though, could've been so worse, like on the economy or something! argh!

Also did unit 5 this morning and did representation in britain - think i did really well on a) and ish ok on b) but i really ran out of time. Definetly shouldnt have written so much for part A

ReputationRep:
    I'm panicking now because I have sat and worked out what grades I'm on and worked out I'm on a C for History.

I added together all of my exam marks which are in UMS marks and my coursework, which was in raw marks, which was 48/60. I made this into an overall mark of 90 and figured I needed about 45 UMS marks for a B overall in History.

Should I have done this? Now I'm worried that the way I have worked out the UMS marks for my coursework may actually be higher than what the examiners will say it is.

How many raw marks is 45 UMS marks anyway?

I figured that because the exam today was out of 60 they would just double it to 120. Am I wrong on this? Someone ease my fears please!

ReputationRep:
    I did crisis in the tudor state plus the Tudor state paper -

both were really nice! just hope I referred to the sources enough!!

2 hist down - 1 to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    I was scribbling till the end, i kept writing after she said "pens down" as i had to finish the sentence! I just managed to flick through the book when they collected the papers in afterwards. Also i didn't do unit 5; we did "Roman Britain" coursework earlier in the year which was suprisingly boring considering it involved the Romans... why did it go so wrong??

For chartism i basically learnt a few great phrases last night such as "chartism represented the fundamental belief that economic expolitation and political subservience could be put right by Parliamentary reform," and "Perhaps this was a naive belief that Constitutional Reform would automatically provide socio-economic enrichment...." and then used the sources to back this up... I also heard about "rostows model of economic protest" and backed that up with quotes to say that chartism died down in times of economic prosperity... or so im willing to believe, sod what really happened lol

yeah, i actually learnt that and used it today lol. Even managed to slip in a quote from O'Connor about "one torch is worth 1000 speeches" or something. God damn, talk about last minute cramming!

I'm sure you did fine, and really, try not to worry about it anymore, we can't do anything else about it sadly Have a look at the chartist thread down the page a bit btw.

be confident and happy and... go get some ice-cream, it always helps!

Good luck for exam results day/ any other exams!

I didnt learn any little quotes like that at all!! im doomed! just trying to revise for a beast of an english exam 2morrow, and then its only 4 more chemistrys til Im done, and unit 5 was disastrous cos i didnt know anything for part a of the question!! oh well, nothing i can do now appart from mope and be depressed! good luck in all other exams eveyone!

ReputationRep:
    Think it went ok - did units 5 and 6, Representation and Democracy and Nazi State. Unit 5 was quite unexpected, I didn't expect to get a turning point on 1911 Parlt. act, but managed it OK. Unit 6 b was on Hitler's Charisma, interesting, but the sources weren't that helpful, I argued much more against that for. I really really hope it went OK! But I'm so glad to be done with History, I was grinning in the exam room when I'd finished!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    I'm panicking now because I have sat and worked out what grades I'm on and worked out I'm on a C for History.

I added together all of my exam marks which are in UMS marks and my coursework, which was in raw marks, which was 48/60. I made this into an overall mark of 90 and figured I needed about 45 UMS marks for a B overall in History.

Should I have done this? Now I'm worried that the way I have worked out the UMS marks for my coursework may actually be higher than what the examiners will say it is.

How many raw marks is 45 UMS marks anyway?

I figured that because the exam today was out of 60 they would just double it to 120. Am I wrong on this? Someone ease my fears please!
    I imagine they would double it, but of course Unit 6 is always harder, and the system works by basing it partly on how people have done on average. So it's quite likely a few UMS marks will get added onto your raw mark especially in this particular module...and this paper which was harder than usual (IMO).

I'm sure that if you've shown some awareness of historical interpretation and good use of sources you would get at least 50% on the part (b) and you'd get some marks on part (a). 45 UMS is not that hard to get on this paper...even if it's not your "raw mark" I would not worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I imagine they would double it, but of course Unit 6 is always harder, and the system works by basing it partly on how people have done on average. So it's quite likely a few UMS marks will get added onto your raw mark especially in this particular module...and this paper which was harder than usual (IMO).

I'm sure that if you've shown some awareness of historical interpretation and good use of sources you would get at least 50% on the part (b) and you'd get some marks on part (a). 45 UMS is not that hard to get on this paper...even if it's not your "raw mark" I would not worry!
    Thankyou so much for that. I feel a lot better about it now. I'm not aiming for an A and I need 2 B's and a C, but would like 3 B's. I'm not as clever as some of you lot hehe.

It seems so confusing though, why can't they just have UMS marks all the time?

So 45 UMS marks isn't that hard to get then? Good good. Plus I have Unit 4 on Elizabeth to resit on Friday, please be Catholics.

Which period did you study?

ReputationRep:
    I did Stalinism, and found it a very random and vague question.

Part A was about the impact of the Five Year Plans on the population of the Soviet Union, with some really contradictory sources.

Part B was something along the lines of "How far do you agree with the statement that 'Stalinism was characterised by contradictions and inefficiency'?"

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.