Turn on thread page Beta

History Unit 6 Edexcel - how was it for you?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I did Chartism and thought it went OK. i couldn't have asked for better questions and the sources were quite easy to integrate/cross reference though it was harder for other causes of failure. Que sera sera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    Thankyou so much for that. I feel a lot better about it now. I'm not aiming for an A and I need 2 B's and a C, but would like 3 B's. I'm not as clever as some of you lot hehe.

It seems so confusing though, why can't they just have UMS marks all the time?

So 45 UMS marks isn't that hard to get then? Good good. Plus I have Unit 4 on Elizabeth to resit on Friday, please be Catholics.

Which period did you study?
    For Unit 4? I did the Individual Assignment (Indian Independence)
    And I did coursework Poor Law 1834-1939.

And Unit 6 module was the same as yours - Hitler and the Nazi State...

ReputationRep:
    I did Chartism and the questions were extremely nice, except being nice it meant they were quite open and stuff so I waffled and narrated instead of analysing. The sources weren't as bad as other years although I'm not convinced (with hindsight) that it went too well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    I did Stalinism, and found it a very random and vague question.
    Part A was about the impact of the Five Year Plans on the population of the Soviet Union, with some really contradictory sources.

Part B was something along the lines of "How far do you agree with the statement that 'Stalinism was characterised by contradictions and inefficiency'?"
    Part B was a very, very odd question. But I really liked it. I was alone in that feeling though.. We had tears and tanturms, the works. I thought it was interesting, pushed the boat out a bit, and was a concept people would have been unlikely to memorise "parrot-fashion."

Bravo Edexcel!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did Poverty and welfare, for unit 5 and decline of the liberal party for unit 6.

I thought generally I did okay, but the first question for poverty was a bit urgh, because I don't think there was much you could discuss.

The decline of the liberal party was fine but I felt that i couldnt use the sources effectively as I could have done because most just talked about the labour party, and pre-1914 stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genna)
    The decline of the liberal party was fine but I felt that i couldnt use the sources effectively as I could have done because most just talked about the labour party, and pre-1914 stuff.
    Same as. I was ok with it apart from using the sources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Bravo Edexcel!!!!
    Im sure thats the first time edexcel have heard that! The exam board famous for **** ups and mis marking!

ReputationRep:
    Dreama what did you write about for part b?

I differentiated btw economic policy which I said was pragmatic, chaotic not pre planned etc but that social policy was more coherent and also stuff about bureaucratic inefficieny and contradiction btw Stalin state and bolshevik aims.

ReputationRep:
    stalinism was really weird!

crappy sources! and the b question was random... and could be taken in various directions and i would thus assume = difficult to mark?

i am sooooooo happy other people are feeling the same as me

ReputationRep:
    eveyone at my college was certainly feeling very depressed after it, tho bonus is will never have to learn about Stalin again! (and the intentionalists and structuralists!)

ReputationRep:
    we didnt learn historiography just used 'some would argue...' hehe

well hopefully im doing it at uni, thats if i get my thanks to Edexcel! grrrrrrrr and thus dont escape t forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    So 45 UMS marks isn't that hard to get then? Good good. Plus I have Unit 4 on Elizabeth to resit on Friday, please be Catholics.
    You'll get that easily, I'm sure, so don't worry! I need 97/210 UMS to secure my A in History...am pinning most of my hopes on the A2 paper on Elizabeth I this friday though, as mid-tudor crisis was okay, but not the best response I've ever given. Are you taking the Elizabeth I paper (religion and foreign policy, aka settlement and security) too? I haven't even looked at the Catholics yet! :eek: am hoping for puritan clashes, or 'how Protestant was England by 1588' type q.

ReputationRep:
    i need 224 out of 300 to get an A..... judging by today i dont know whats gonna happen! i hope they adjust the markschemes!

ReputationRep:
    i did paper 6b on Russia. I didnt think it was that bad actually i was dreding a worst topic than that!!! im not too good with sources but i didnt think i did too bad (i hope!!!) i found that i wro te a bit too much on question A!!!

ReputationRep:
    i wrote way too much on question A! needed 2 extra sheets on paper in all.

ReputationRep:
    I did the nazi question...after two days of revision it all paid off- i thought it went ok - best two history essays i have written all year...though as some people have said - i didn't feel like i wrote enough (3 and a bit for part A and 4 and a bit for part B) but from what i could gather from my friends that was about average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmoorkatie)
    i wrote way too much on question A! needed 2 extra sheets on paper in all.
    extra sheets? I didn't even fill the paper we had...

Crap.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, did no-one else do Cromwell :confused:
    Part A was heavenly, but part B was just so much more complicated that I it first looked. I argued that it was Cromwell's dicatatorship and religious devotion that stopped a parliamentary settlement. Not that anyone will care, since you are mainly doing Chartism and Nazis.
    I did look through the book at the end thinking, these other questions look impossible... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    You'll get that easily, I'm sure, so don't worry! I need 97/210 UMS to secure my A in History...am pinning most of my hopes on the A2 paper on Elizabeth I this friday though, as mid-tudor crisis was okay, but not the best response I've ever given. Are you taking the Elizabeth I paper (religion and foreign policy, aka settlement and security) too? I haven't even looked at the Catholics yet! :eek: am hoping for puritan clashes, or 'how Protestant was England by 1588' type q.
    I hope so hehe. I'm pretty sure you will get your A. From what you said earlier, you seem pretty intelligent. More so than me in fact.

I am taking the Elizabeth paper yes, for the second time. I did it in January, but only achieved a high D (2 marks off a C), but it was a bit of a nasty paper. The questions were on the religious settlement (which I did. An okay question, but really how much can you write on that?) and a foreign policy question, which I didn't learn as the exam board states only one question can be on foreign policy, so I don't plan to revise it for Friday either.

From what was on in January, I wouldn't worry too much about there being a big settlement question. But my teacher has told me a Catholic question hasn't been on for a while so I plan to cram for that over the next few days. That and MQS and the Puritans.

Hopefully something on religion will be there, but I really need to get revising. The best thing about this paper is that there is no sources. It sounds silly, but I prefer not having any information there and just going from what I've learned, as sources can sometimes confuse me.

Good luck for Friday. I sure need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diachrom)
    OMG, did no-one else do Cromwell :confused:
    Part A was heavenly, but part B was just so much more complicated that I it first looked. I argued that it was Cromwell's dicatatorship and religious devotion that stopped a parliamentary settlement. Not that anyone will care, since you are mainly doing Chartism and Nazis.
    I did look through the book at the end thinking, these other questions look impossible... :cool:
    Hurrah, someone else who did Cromwell!
    Part A - now what was that? I can't remember. I didn't write a very good answer - I only had four hours sleep last night so I was totally whacked out by the time I got into the exam! But the questions were lovely in that there were no huge qualifications to part B like there somewhere are eg 'how far do you agree that 'some quote' is the reason that 'so and so' happened due to 'so and so'. Which is what half the mocks felt like. However.. yeah, wasn't too confident. But I argued pretty much the same thing as you did, except more based around his religious devotion and the dilemma of the settlement and reformation being opposing aims. Which was pretty crap and I kept using the wrong sources and then having to be tres cunning to try make it sound like I knew what I was doing. Agggggghhhh.
    But - no more history! Hurrah. Good luck with your results

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.