Turn on thread page Beta

History Unit 6 Edexcel - how was it for you?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I did Nazi Germany, it wasnt too bad, i did 2 pages for 1st question and 4 for the second..

ReputationRep:
    That second Stalin question was hard... I had to think about it before I wrote it! But it was sort of interesting.

I used 2 extra sheets too, but wrote waaay too much for Q a, ah well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzie1)
    Think it went ok - did units 5 and 6, Representation and Democracy and Nazi State. Unit 5 was quite unexpected, I didn't expect to get a turning point on 1911 Parlt. act, but managed it OK. Unit 6 b was on Hitler's Charisma, interesting, but the sources weren't that helpful, I argued much more against that for. I really really hope it went OK! But I'm so glad to be done with History, I was grinning in the exam room when I'd finished!
    Out of interest, Hazzie, how did you argue against the Charisma idea - to my mind its the most prevalent historical thesis, Kershaw's views are loved by just about everyone and his 'Hitler Myth' is very good. No-one since the 1960s has justifiably argued it was a totalitarian state in the true sense of the word. Im not being critical, because of the nature of the exam as long as your views are justified and used the sources we can take whatever view we want - I'm just very interested in your argument! :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    I hope so hehe. I'm pretty sure you will get your A. From what you said earlier, you seem pretty intelligent. More so than me in fact.

I am taking the Elizabeth paper yes, for the second time. I did it in January, but only achieved a high D (2 marks off a C), but it was a bit of a nasty paper. The questions were on the religious settlement (which I did. An okay question, but really how much can you write on that?) and a foreign policy question, which I didn't learn as the exam board states only one question can be on foreign policy, so I don't plan to revise it for Friday either.

From what was on in January, I wouldn't worry too much about there being a big settlement question. But my teacher has told me a Catholic question hasn't been on for a while so I plan to cram for that over the next few days. That and MQS and the Puritans.

Hopefully something on religion will be there, but I really need to get revising. The best thing about this paper is that there is no sources. It sounds silly, but I prefer not having any information there and just going from what I've learned, as sources can sometimes confuse me.

Good luck for Friday. I sure need it.
    Oh, I totally agree - I much prefer not having to integrate the sources, examine the content and provenance etc in a pressurised exam situation...I'm more of a 'use your own knowledge' type of gal in exams (although currently I'm wasting time on TSR so I don't actually have much factual info atm, eek :p: ). That's really useful about the Jan paper questions, thanks, can you remember what the foreign policy one was about? Good luck for friday too - you'll be fine! I've had an amazing teacher for my Elizabeth A2 module, so I'm hoping I can put all the discussions we've had and all the info she's given me about Elizabeth, settlement and security to good use.

ReputationRep:
    Nazi Germany question A it was ok Question B wtf!? watd u guys write? the sources apart from the Kershaw source didn't have much. I just basically said that It was the conjunction of all economic success, use of terror as well as Hitler's charimsa but more importantly the image of Hitler's charisma created through the Hitler Myth.

ReputationRep:
    I argued Hitler's charisma was the most important in unity. Argued a lil about terror and working towards furher seen as everyone's duty, about how he attracted everynoe, near 'deification' (Kershaw), his personality essential for successful adoption of state paternalism etc. I agree the sources were quite useless, you really had to infer a lot. My problem was Part A as all the sources said the same thing, it was totally stupid. Also the question 'to what extent was the opposition to the 3rd reich' seemed very awkwardly phrased.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, someone else who did Cromwell!
    Finally, someone else
    Part a) was something silly like how did Cromwell's religious beliefs affect his political decision. That was nice and fun, although rather unconfident.
    Good luck with your results too - I know I need it...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do The Cold War?

ReputationRep:
    I did the Cold War. Thought it was really hard to use the sources...i used source 1 like once in part B. Also couldnt really remember HOW capitalist and communist economic systems actually diffrer, so just babbled on about the marshall plan, comecon etc without identifying how the fact they contrasted added to the tension. Also, in question B i only went up to 1972, didnt even mention the reagan doctrine or afghanistan etc, like ANY of the 2nd cold war...argh, how important u rekon that'll be?

ReputationRep:
    Umm don't think I mentioned what you were saying either!!! I revised about the 2nd cold war as well and knew it!! Grr! I did know about the differences in capitalist and communist but didn't think to explain it,ahh!! Did so bad in that exam expecially in the 2nd question. I found it really hard to use the sources too and some I didn't even use. xx

ReputationRep:
    yeh i revised it too! just had a total mind blank and didnt even mention it.arg.yeh the second question was a nightmare.and for the first i had no idea how to structure it so i just did containment then supremacy.ha.and no historigoraphy.ah blah, totally fecked up.

anyone do europe at war for unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    is it just our school who didnt learn any historiography for unit 6? we were just told to suggest different interpretations, we didnt mention any schools of history etc!

ReputationRep:
    yeh thats basically the same thing isnt it?well i didnt include either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmoorkatie)
    is it just our school who didnt learn any historiography for unit 6? we were just told to suggest different interpretations, we didnt mention any schools of history etc!
    That was probably good. My teacher said they were trying to get away from the classic historiographical debate - interpretations matter more than factual "historiography". Oh, why oh why did I make my essay about weak/strong intentionalist structuralist?! I have a really bad feeling about it....

ReputationRep:
    Reema - there was definate place in question B for the weak/strong dictator and 'working towards the Fuhrer' notion - Charisma led to unity in more than just German society - eg in the party hierarchy. Worry not!

ReputationRep:
    I agree to an extent with whauden. The paper wasn't as clearly defined as the usual part B questions which facilitate easy recollection of the monolithic vs polycratic state, however, you could as whauden says get it in there in some places. I don't imagine that you will be penalised for not adding it in however. I forget which source it was but it implied the notion of working towards the fuhrer and again as Whauden says you could look at party politics, with Hitler being the charismatic leader bringing a sense of unity and cohesion, for example Goering in 1934 'I have no conscience, Adolf Hitler is my conscience'.

Yet, if ppl didn't add that in, don't worry, I've seen model answers from edexcel which have secured As without mentioning the historiographical dimension (I can never spell that word). The exam board really cannot point the blame, the question was not framed in a way that was accessible for students to apply their knowledge.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.