Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

At GCSE I took English Lit/Lang, Maths, Double Science, History and Double ICT, getting-
    English Literature: A* Language: A*, Maths: B (Intermediate), Science: CC, History: A*, ICT: A*A*
    I missed alot of lessons during GCSE due to medical reasons perticularly in Science and so didnt do aswell as I thought I could have.

Im taking, English Literature, History, Economics for A2 having taken Poltics at AS. I got AABB in AS and my teachers predict AAB for A2.

At unversity im intresting in doing Poltics, International Relations or maybe PPE. At the moment Warwick, Nottingham, Reading, UEA or Durham look intresting.

I was wondering if anyone knew how my GCSE grades are likley to effect my chances at some of the more popular unis listed above? Also warwick requests an A at GCSE Maths for PPE which wasnt possible for me are they likley to consider me since ive taken economics?

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    They will take gcses into account. It helps to see how well you can work on lots of subjects at one time, and if you are prepared to put effort into subjects you may not enjoy. But I don't think it is a serious factor... you should certainly mention the medical issue you spoke of.

With a good set of AS grades and predictions, I wouldn't have thought you would have too much of a problem at those unis.

Just my guess, would other people agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    They will take gcses into account. It helps to see how well you can work on lots of subjects at one time, and if you are prepared to put effort into subjects you may not enjoy. But I don't think it is a serious factor... you should certainly mention the medical issue you spoke of.

With a good set of AS grades and predictions, I wouldn't have thought you would have too much of a problem at those unis.

Just my guess, would other people agree?
    Hi,
    Yes I would definatly agree with this, especially as you did not get below a C in anything and you did really well in the subjects that you are studying at A level - and if you intend to study the same subjects at uni then you should be fine. The only result that stands out there is the CC in double science, but thats only really because of all the A*s that come before it. Unless your applying for something to do with science at uni then I wouldnt worry cus you have brill results in everything else and a C isn't really that bad anyway. Like the person before me said though...I would get your teacher to mention the medical issue in your reference on your UCAS for just to make sure, but then do you want to raise the issue of the grades that they might not have thought anything of??. Your best to ask your teachers advice on this. I wouldn't waste (very valuable) space in your personal statement mentioning it and it looks like your making excuses - definatly better coming from your teacher in your refererence I think. Are you stil at the same place where you did your GCSE's??

Lastly...DON'T WORRY!!!! your GCSE grades are certaintly not bad and overall they look very good to me, a lot of people have got worse. So smile and be happy

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks to both of you

Anyone have any idea about the Warwick/PPE question?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hmm the problem there is that a lot of unis require high grades in maths for any subject/course involving economics because economics is largely maths/based and they won't want to make you an offer unless they think that your maths is good enough to cope with the economics in the course. Some unis may want Maths AS/A level and some may even be fine with a B/C at GCSE.
    My best advice is to email/phone/write to the admissions tutor BEFORE you apply - giving them clearly your name and school/college so they remember you when you apply - and ask them if they consider altering the entrance requirements if there are special circumstances. If they say yes then you may need to get your school to put on your reference that you are able at maths and had the potential to get at least an at GCSE. It should help your case though that your already predicted a high grade in Economics A level, which means that admissions tutors will know that you can cope with the subject well and know and are prepared for the amount of maths involved in it. I would say do key skills maths as well but I don't think unis take much notice of it and its too late to pick up Maths AS level....Remeber unis differ in how flexible they are with their entrance requirements so phonethem all and check before you apply to each of them and make sure your reference shows that your good at maths and that the uni remember you when they read your ucas form - follow up a phone call with a letter that they can keep on file even....

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at Cambridge despite getting relatively mediocre (or maybe even poor for Oxbridge) GCSEs. 4 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs, 1 C, 1 D. I don't believe my GCSEs had any bearing on my not getting in - it was because my interview didn't go too well... It was during quite a rough period in my life.

ReputationRep:
    hey riz soz to interrupt but i remember u frm b4 sayin u do psychology. did u do a2 by any chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    Many thanks to both of you

Anyone have any idea about the Warwick/PPE question?

Thankyou

If they say they want it, the chances of entry are very slim, probably nil without it. Econ A level will not suffice, it has no math content at all. I would ask the admissions tutor, I feel you may be totally wasting your time applying for PPE at Warwick.

Also, you may not actually be able to handle university level econ, for which I think you have to be at least a A grade 'A' level maths student. I'd reconsider anything Econ related, unless you feel within you that you could have gotten straight A's in Maths, particularly at 'A' level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    If they say they want it, the chances of entry are very slim, probably nil without it. Econ A level will not suffice, it has no math content at all. I would ask the admissions tutor, I feel you may be totally wasting your time applying for PPE at Warwick.

Also, you may not actually be able to handle university level econ, for which I think you have to be at least a A grade 'A' level maths student. I'd reconsider anything Econ related, unless you feel within you that you could have gotten straight A's in Maths, particularly at 'A' level.
    Im pretty confident with maths, warwick specifys GCSE Maths at A grade being 'normally' required so I might ask them. Also is it possible to take resit GCSE exams at any time, since I planned a gap year anyway and am certain I could get A/A* maths given the chance but wouldnt really want to waste time going through the course again?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    Im pretty confident with maths, warwick specifys GCSE Maths at A grade being 'normally' required so I might ask them. Also is it possible to take resit GCSE exams at any time, since I planned a gap year anyway and am certain I could get A/A* maths given the chance but wouldnt really want to waste time going through the course again?

Thanks

Ahh ok, well yeah, do check up though. If you're confident that you have at least the ability to get grade A at 'A' level...then go for it.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Ahh ok, well yeah, do check up though. If you're confident that you have at least the ability to get grade A at 'A' level...then go for it.

All the best.
    If I recall correctly, the hardest thing on the GCSE syllabus when I was 16 was the standard deviation. I believe that this has been taken off the course now! This means that basically the whole GCSE is more or less a straightforward, common sense, thinking exercise. Not much knowledge is required at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Yes i am doing Psychology A2

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.