Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have posted this in the Economics sub-forum as well so please accept my apologies but I need as many opinions as I can get!!

I need to make a decision soon. I am good at both and will probably achieve the same grades. I believe I will also enjoy them equally. I believe they both have similar workload requirements. They are both respected by universities. So what do I do? I need help! And please don't tell me to flick a coin lol.

I am planning to do law at uni btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death)
    I have posted this in the Economics sub-forum as well so please accept my apologies but I need as many opinions as I can get!!

I need to make a decision soon. I am good at both and will probably achieve the same grades. I believe I will also enjoy them equally. I believe they both have similar workload requirements. They are both respected by universities. So what do I do? I need help! And please don't tell me to flick a coin lol.

I am planning to do law at uni btw.
    wot tuther a levels u plannin... i had the same problem with maths further maths physics and either chem or economics.... i picked chem cause i dont like writting essays

ReputationRep:
    LAw....i say eco...its a languag subject..and thats lots of xtensions with law and eco...i dnt c many with law and chem..lol...i vote ECO

ReputationRep:
    Well I am doing Literature and History as well which are pretty much essay type subjects. I am also doing Maths and Classical Civ.

ReputationRep:
    I would've agreed with mackin boi about it having more refrence, but now that you're saying that you're doing lit, hisotry and classical civ.

Saying that, like mackin boi said, econmics is more likely to come up in Law than chem, and from what i've heard, you can blag your way through exams (not that i'm implying that you would want to)

But if you don't want another essay subject (some of my friends are going to have dead arms by the end of this week) I would suggest chem...

Sorry.. just realised how pointless and unhelpful this reply actually is...

ReputationRep:
    No, actually I like these replies. Keep them coming. It helps me form a general opinion of what other people think about these subjects. (Talk about dead arms...how do you think I felt after doing History Paper 1, followed by English paper 2 and then immediately History Paper 2 in the space of 2 days...I can still feel the pain!!)

ReputationRep:
    Here's my two cents.

Chemistry is fun, interesting, and logical! ( and a well regarded A Level ) (but then again, so is economics I guess)

ReputationRep:
    Why not both? (Excuse me I you've already wrote why, as I have not read through this thread)
    I do Chemistry and eco & bus, and chemistry I think, is actually harder, although I'm not sure what the economics course is like compared to eco and bus. The problem with eco & bus is coursework, chemistry theres an optional practical. The eco & bus is just really general knowledge and understanding, but chemistry is more about remembering.

ReputationRep:
    Science subjects are generally more respected, people tend to be 'scared' of them. I think Maths is kind of a science subject as it is the foundation of physics and relates with mechanics...etc

ReputationRep:
    Well if I do both I''ll end up with 6 A-levels and that is kind of over the top you see.

Everybody is saying chemistry is so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death)
    Well if I do both I''ll end up with 6 A-levels and that is kind of over the top you see.

but economics would be another essay writting subject, so will the workload get too much

i mean chem is hard, but it isnt alot of work for the 2 a level years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death)

I would be lying if i said chemistry wasn't difficult, but.. if you have a good teacher, and you stay on top of the work, it ends up being quite a straight forward subject.

Maybe thats a good thing to take into account... Do you know who the teachers would be? (unless you're going to a different place!)

Oh and... i'm not sure if its allowed in your school/college, but if you don't like the choice you've taken you can always change within about a week or two.

(i keep remembering things) How do you feel about organic chemistry.. because that is what my whole course is full of (about 80%). Again it depends on what board you're on and all, but have a look into the actual course for both chem and eco.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Gordon2002 - im doing economics and business and chemistry, I'm sitting on better marks with eco and bus and chem is harder, but if I had the choice I would go with chem again. I also think it is seen as a better subject to have as well because it is a science and as law is a competitive course then I guess the more 'traditional' subjects then the better!

ReputationRep:
    I did chemistry and Economics at As level, and dropped economics, far too much writing for me ...economics is regarded as a hard version of Business studies, and there are some useful parts to economics, but it is not as interesting as Chemistry, not as fun...I would do chemistry, I could live a happy life without seeing another blasted demand and supply curve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roochis)
    Maybe thats a good thing to take into account... Do you know who the teachers would be? (unless you're going to a different place!)
    I am going to a different place, so I don't really know the teachers.

Oh and... i'm not sure if its allowed in your school/college, but if you don't like the choice you've taken you can always change within about a week or two.
    I hope you can!! I am not sure yet.

(i keep remembering things) How do you feel about organic chemistry.. because that is what my whole course is full of (about 80%). Again it depends on what board you're on and all, but have a look into the actual course for both chem and eco.
    At GCSE level I have to say organic chemistry was quite interesting but also very challenging. I didn't like it at the start but after it started making sense I started liking it. I will be following the EDEXCEL board if I chose chem.

ReputationRep:
    i m doing both n i find Chemistry more fun n interesting (n there is less to learn for Chem!)
    but u r doing LAW... Economics is probably more useful

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel seem to have a standard course. You learn about the periodic table and introduced to organic chemistry, and such...

It might be worth ringing/emailing the universities you want to apply to and asking what they would prefer (I know its a bit early)

Also, do you have a rough idea which subject you will be dropping (if you will be dropping at all!)

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth ringing/emailing the universities you want to apply to and asking what they would prefer (I know its a bit early)
    Yes I think you're right. My teachers suggested the same thing today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    but economics would be another essay writting subject, so will the workload get too much

i mean chem is hard, but it isnt alot of work for the 2 a level years
    Yeah economics/business has a lot of essay questions and its hard to plan your time spread, most cases I've finished just before the end of the exam, but therefore I am unable to check everything. Chemistry questions are short. BY THE WAY THIS IS AS, I think A2 has a synoptic- not quite sure yet

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.